1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meat eaters vs plant eaters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Aug 23, 2011.

1. liljojo

liljojo Member

What? Where did you get this idea? There are instances where God even commands the Israelites to eat meat...

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

When people claim eating meat is more convenient, maybe they are referring to it being more affordable? I know for a fact veggie food is pricier; therefore, not everyone has the luxury of eliminating meat.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I was raised eating practically nothing but meat, and I loved it, but I cut it out when I was 18 (and dairy 6 years later). The rest of your post echos my experience to the letter. I feel the exact same way. And I don't judge either, though I do make the occasional, good-natured dig at a meat-eater/war-happy/death penalty supporter that tells me I'm not "pro-life." I have particular fun with giddyup that way.

The main thing for me though, and I speak only for me, is an intuitive feeling that neither flesh nor body fluids are food. They are no longer food to me. I tried, on advice of doctors during my long recovery from ankle surgery, to reintroduce some of this stuff into my diet and it was a miserable failure. I just can't chew that stuff up and swallow it anymore.

As for health, which has never been my concern, I don't think my vegan diet is particularly healthy. I think vegan plus fish would probably be best, but I can't eat fish. I do take fish oil though in the form of Omega 3 supplements. I can swallow those and I'm not so hardcore about the cruelty issue that I won't take something I need to be healthy. I also take Vitamin B supplements.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i don't understand why lobsters have to be boiled alive.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Man i have been ddouble posting a lot, apologies.

I too have have regressed from eating meat over the years, I can't eat beef anymore, chicken is just about the only thing. The only difference between me and most is I don't see it as a moral kind of issue, but deep down it probably is. I'm just repulsed by beef and anything else and I can't really explain it on the surface.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Since the "meat" in Tacobell taco's aren't really meat at all, as some say, is it safe for vegetarians to consume?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are wired to eat meat, that is how we are made, top of the food chain, now people can make a choice not to eat meat, and we have to respect that, it is their choice.

But meat supplies a lot of the important nutrients that the human body needs.....

Maybe Vegetarians are just God way of weeding out the weaker of our species?

;)

I kid I kid......

DD

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

How should they be killed? They're most likely killed in seconds that way.

9. Batman Jones

This is very, very true. And every year it gets better. To a meat or dairy eater this stuff won't taste like meat or dairy, but to a long-time vegan like myself I so appreciate the option of having analogue comfort foods from my childhood.

Someone complained above of his vegan friends insisting he try this or that and I agree a non-veg probably wouldn't be impressed. But when I find something new that I love, I immediately text or email my closest veg friends. It is so much easier (and more delicious) now that it was in the past.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BM,

It occured to me that since you have been so successful at weeding out the meat, it probably bodes very well for you in your desire to weed out cigerettes.

I mean if you have the willpower to do such a lifestyle change once, surely you will be successful again.

DD

11. Batman Jones

They are mostly meat, so no. Jack in the Box tacos are 50/50 meat/soy.

12. Batman Jones

Thank you, brother. I hope you're right.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

They don't, you're supposed to split their heads in half with a knife before you cook them

14. Batman Jones

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't altogether avoid leather in my purchases, but I don't exactly seek it out either. Food-wise, I'm a vegetarian foremost because I have a personal aversion to meat products. There are moral considerations involved, but its a bit in the background. As I said, if I grew up eating meat all my life I don't know if I'd have the willpower to give it up purely for moral reasons. I have quite a lot of respect for those, like Batman Jones, who did so.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

Measuring the intelligence of the animals you eat seems like an odd way of cutting out meat to me. Speaking of documentaries, I watched one about dogs and they explained that dogs are 99.8% genetically identical to wolves, however wolves are missing that human connection that dogs have. Due to years of domestication, dogs are actually connected to humans. They can read humans emotions, they can read our facial expressions, our moods, and even detect cancer - however wolves can do none of this. They even put a baby wolf in with a family and they raised it and it had no connection with the human outside of the need for food and water.

THIS is why most people don't want to eat a dog it's because we as humans are connected to them and it really has nothing to do with their intelligence. A pig does not have that same human connection - so have a piece of ****ing bacon.

Here is the awesome documentary on dog/human connection:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

bro, most vegetarians I know eat much worse than that. I have a female vegetarian friend and she's incredibly fat. She eats potato chips, enormous amounts of cheese and crackers, tons of sugary fruit juice, donuts, bagels with cream cheese. Carbs + sugar = fat ass.

Most people thing of vegetarians as eating vegetables, but a vegetarian actually just means NO MEAT. So they eat all of that other crap and parade around as if they are healthier than someone who eats lean beef/chicken and vegetables.

18. liljojo

liljojo Member

I'd rather eat a really dumb person than a really smart pig.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

stop hanging around with this dude

[​IMG]

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I am a meat eater, but over the last 6 months or so I've started eating it less and less and have developed a new love for vegetables that I have never had in my life. I'm basically down to fish and turkey right now. I don't think I could give up fish, but I'm definitely over pork (turkey bacon), don't really like chicken anymore and rarely eat beef.

I will be having a steak next weekend and I'm actually curious how I will respond to it.