1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ME:Dallas Cowboys will contend for SB.

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Francis3422, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

While I know the majority of the board are Texans fans, I know there are a few Cowboy fans lurking.... Clutch, I am sorry, but I will talk about how the Cowboys will beat and be better than the Texans, so it will be somewhat Texans oriented. But also, for those of you who dont get to pay too much attention to the Cowboys, I will give you a look at what the "other" team is gonna look like this year. I will try to remain objective.

1. The NFC just sucks this year. I dont see Vick emerging, and Seattle should still be solid. The Bears have no O..... I really see the Redskins as having a good season, but they also have Mark Brunell as there starter I believe.

The Cowboys have a great shot to make the Superbowl.

The weakest aspect of the team last year was OL, and while I feel it was not sufficiently addressed (in draft or FA) we did add a versatile Kyle Kosier and Marco Rivera (longtime Favre guard is back.) Flozell Adams, a solid tackle, is returning from blowing out his knee. So it should at least be better.

Drew Bledsoe was great last year until our O line collapsed and if they can improve the run game, and protect him... We have a new receiver named Terrell Owens, who if he can keep himself in check, will really open things up.

We will be running almost entirely two TE sets this year. We drafted Anthony Fasano in the second round. He is a TE out of Notre Dame, and is said to be already pretty good. So we now have him, along with Witten (a top 3 receiving TE in NFL IMO)

We also have Terry Glenn who had over a 1000 yards receiving last year.

The defense is really what i the most excited about. Terrence Newman is a great corner back. Do not have them handy, but look at this stats from last year. Anthony Henry will be back, along with Roy Williams (himself and Witten both extended 4 years each recently)

We are in our second year now of playing 3-4. We have a plethora of young talent on the Dline. Jason Hatcher is getting rave reviews and anyone that watched a few Cowboys games last year knows about Chris Canty, a stacked 3-4 style DE. We also have Jason Ferguson, a solid nose tackle, and Marcus Spears and Greg Ellis (Ellis will not start, he will play a lot at both DE and some LB (pass rushing etc..)

We have a deep LB core of DeMarcus Ware ( you guys wait, this guy is going to be dominant, I guarantee he gets 11-15 sacks. Akin Ayodele is coming off a few great years in Jacksonville. Bobby Carpenter was called one of the most ready LB's in the draft..... Kevin Burnett is showing potential in camp and we have Brady James coming off a breakout year.

I think this D will end up being top 5 in the league most definetly. Possibly top 3.

As long as the O line is good, I think the Cowboys may really contend this year.

(Texans Tie In)

They will spank you guys in Dallas. Not to mention, I think get at least 11 wins with winning there division. If Bledsoe holds up, it could be special.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

yeah, man.

19-10

k, thx

bye! :cool:

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Sigh...I would have put this is the Hangout to avoid being flamed (as much). Still, being one of the Cowboy fans on the BBS, I guess I'll add some of my thoughts.

From what I hear, it seems like both the Giants (they did go 11-5 last year) and Redskins will be contenders this year. Even if Dallas plays well this year, the NFC East will be a tough division to get out of if I understood things correctly.

Not sure about the rest of the NFC since I don't follow most teams except for the Cowboys. As you said, I'm sure Seattle will still be solid, and I'm sure Carolina will be strong (Smith with Keyshawn should be interesting).

Yeah, assuming we stay injury-free, the OL should be OK (considering the weapons we have). I do wonder if Flozell will be able to return to his former self this year, or if the injury might have taken a little bit away from him. Sounds like he is still very rusty, although that is to be expected I suppose.

After years of QBs like Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright (though I liked him), etc., watching Bledsoe play last year was a lot of fun to watch. Hopefully he should duplicate the performance he had last year assuming the OL stays strong and guys like TO and JJ stay healthy.

I'm also pretty excited about the D. One thing I didn't realize about Newman was that he apparently didn't give up a TD pass last year (thanks to Parcells for mentioning that stat). Sounds like he might be doing a little more in our return game too.

Not sure if I should read much into this, but Ellis was practicing with the 1st-team defense at LB in Saturday's scrimmage, and he apparently played very well (getting a sack, a tackle, and a pass deflected in the first drive). He may not start, but it sounds like he might be picking up the position faster than expected. That would be nice since he is one of the best pass rushers on the team (along with Ware).

Yea! Let's stir up trouble with the Texans fans! :rolleyes:

This is probably the most talent the Cowboys have had in a while (at least since Parcells has been here). Of course (*KNOCKS ON WOOD*) an injury or two can drastically change things like they have in past years (Julius Jones going down like he has in the past 2 years; Bledsoe going down; TO not recovering from the hamstring injury, some other injury, or just by being TO; Flozell not being himself; etc.). As with other teams, there are a lot of questions for this team. I'd wait at least a few games into the season before proclaiming the Cowboys as SB contenders.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't really follow the other teams that much, so I don't really have any real expectations for the Cowboys-Texans game. I just hope that with the talent the team has and with Parcells at the helm, this game will be MUCH better than the last one. That was an embarrassment (nothing against the Texans, just mad at how the Cowboys played that game).

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

hey video game boy.

19-10,

thanks for playing.

6. RC Cola

After experiencing 499 and 599, the numbers 19-10 don't even bother me that much any more. ;)

:(

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Posted in the wrong forum? Check!
    Convenient memory loss of the scoreboard? 19 - 10! Check!
    Reliance on a headcase to get you over the top? Check!

Yep, must be a Dallas fan!

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, Francis3422, you got some balls to be posting Cowgirl crap in a Texans forum.

By the way, read my sig.

9. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I'm just glad that the Cowboys finally get the chance to take the Texans on in the regular season. It will put all the 19-10 bull**** to rest.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Cowboy fans, Drew Bledsoe will break your hearts this year. He is not up to the task, even if your O-line is decent. He will start the season off OK, but late in the year Drew will crater. Mark my words.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

To you Cowgirl fans, your team is off to a great start: :rolleyes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-parcells&prov=ap&type=lgns

A week into camp, Parcells says 'things are not going well'

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
    August 4, 2006

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- A week into training camp, Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells doesn't like what he's seen so far.

"Things are not going well," Parcells said Friday. "I'm worried about that, and a little frustrated, with things in a couple of places where we should be better than what they are. But it's the first week of the season so I have to keep that in perspective as well."

Parcells has said for several days that the defense is far ahead of the offense, starting with the line. When the blocking falters, it's more difficult for the running backs to find holes and for quarterbacks to complete passes.

The line had a new look in practice Friday afternoon, with Rob Petitti taking over at left tackle, bumping Flozell Adams to the second team. Marc Colombo replaced Petitti on the right side.

"That's generally where you are at this point in camp. The defense is always ahead of the offense," quarterback Drew Bledsoe said. "Obviously we've got to take steps forward, but it's not something that I'm pressing the panic button on now."

A few days ago, Parcells thought some of his position coaches were spending too much time explaining things while they were on the field. He prefers they do that in meetings and use practices to see whether they can do it. So he added more 11-on-11 drills, when coaches can't be a security blanket.

Now he's considering adding more two-a-days.

"I'm not sure," he said. "But I know I got to make progress here."

The team has had two-a-days every other day, with Friday marking their fourth. Only five more are scheduled the remaining two-plus weeks of camp.

Parcells expects to have a better idea of where his team is after a 90-play scrimmage Saturday.

"I need to take Sunday and just kind of sit back and look at it and see where we are and what we need to do to get ready for next week," he said. "Once those games start coming, it gets to be a little different schedule so I want to make sure I take advantage of all the opportunities we have while we're here prior to that."

Players get their first day off Sunday. The preseason opener is next Saturday in Seattle, followed by another off day then the final week of camp. They leave California for good Aug. 20.

"This is really the toughest time of the season in pro football," Parcells said. "The players are tired, they don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, they don't have a game, it's just not that much fun for them. So I have to take that into consideration.

"But at the same token, I just think we need to be a little more battled-hardened than we already are. I have some players that are pretty well resilient, but not all."

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You can't say squat until you win at least 1 game.

This has been eating you up for 4 years, hasn't it? When we win again, you might require therapy.

Sincerely,
    19-10

p.s.
    Don't post cowboy related crap in a Houston Sports forum. Go to a cowboy fan forum, where you guys can sit around and dream you will someday have the team you had in the 90's and pee yourselves.

13. RC Cola

From what I understand, the offense seemed to play a little better than what they had been showing during the scrimmage (and without key players). I'm not sure if that will change Bill's mind though especially since he's so pessimistic at times. He's probably expecting big things from the team, even though it is early in camp (as he noted, it was just the first week of practice).

Remember, this is the guy that said this about Ware's first game:

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Wow. That's good sportswriting!! :rolleyes:

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dallas sucks... they can't even keep their teams near the city limits.

Have fun in that monstrosity they're planning in Arlington... should really boost the "economy", and bring in all the "big events"... what with the urban mecca that is Arlington and all.

16. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

No, I don't think it will. Because even if the Cowboys beat the Texans this year...everyone will always remember the night the Cowboys were beaten by an EXPANSION team with a ROOKIE quarterback.

17. My Lund

My Lund Member

The best thing about this time of the year is that even Cowgirls fans can dream.
    Dream on Cowgirl dream on!!!!

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I can't wait for the game this year against the Cowboys. I know many Texans fans have lost a little steam after the trainwreck that was last season. Not if, but WHEN we beat the Cowboys again this year this town will once again be going crazy and fully behind the Texans.

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

your O-line is in worse shape than the Texans' o-line. Bledsoe is a dinosaur, so it doesn't look good. I say you go 8-8 and TO melts down by game 11.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm a fan of both teams but I can't stand the way 4 years later all the Texans fans have to hang their hats on is one regular season win. When compaing and contrasting the Texans and Cowboys here are some numbers that need to be considered.

Cowboys

Super Bowl Championships:
    VI, XII, XXVII, XXVIII, XXX

NFC Championships:
    1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1992, 1993, 1995

NFL Eastern Conference Championships:
    1966, 1967

NFL Capitol Division Championships:
    1967, 1968, 1969

NFC Eastern Division Championships:
    1970, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1985, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998

All-Time Record:
    (At Start of 2006 Season)
    424-314-6

Texans
    Super Bowl Championships:
    NONE

AFC Championships:
    NONE

Division Championships:
    NONE

Winning Seasons
    NONE

All-Time Record:
    (At Start of 2006 Season)
    18-46-0

Wake me up when the team has it's first winning season, gets to 500, or wins it first playoff game. Up until now there has been zero for an objective non-myopic, non-cowboy hating, Texans fan to get excited about.