1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNair: Worst Owner in Houston, Ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It doesn't help that almost all his draft picks and FA signings/extensions have been a joke.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its been a mixed bag... and nobody was really complaining about the Kareem/Merciless extensions at the time (vs. vociferous complaints about the Cushing/Foster/Schaub extensions).

Of course, we are now presuming that BOB is the real GM (which I would tend to agree with), and Smith is a figure-head who's presence, or lack thereof, really doesn't impact this team (nor does it impact how "good/bad" an owner McNair is).

3. Buck Turgidson

Drayon McLane after he completely lost all interest in everything but selling the team deserves a mention here.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Agreed; I worried about it after he cut Bullock, which, in a vacuum, was a perfectly reasonable decision. But in the context of seemingly not having any set standard, that potentially fuels a terrible environment.

5. Mr. Clutch

BOB chooses the guys, Rick blows up the salary cap or wastes picks by signing/drafting them

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And then you see things like this

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans add DT Brandon Dunn to the 53-man roster off the Bears practice squad. (6-2, 300 lbs.) played at Louisville.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/653998670191423488">October 13, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and remember that we cut a high draft pick NT earlier in the year. Then you watch the Pats get something out of Keyshawn Martin. Then you watch Strong come in after being stuck inactive to have some success.....it just seems like bad move by BOB after bad move by BOB

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Eh...click bait title and article.

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Just fire Rick already! Wtf is he waiting for?

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So in your opinion there's no middle ground between "salvagable" and all-pro?

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

People who want to label McNair a bad owner literally have no clue. I am no longer a baseball fan today because of the screw job we received from John McMullen and Jim Crane. And I was there for the entire Bud Adams tenure ( grew up going to Oiler games in both Jeppesen Stadium & Rice Stadium with my uncle). Bud by far was the worst owner I've ever seen in Houston. His screwups are too numerous to list here and he ****ed the long suffering Houston football fans by moving the team. If anyone can show McNair doing anything as ****ed up as what those bastards have done then I'll concede the point.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. Just saying that the 2-14 team in 2013 was not over flowing with talent.

This is/was/is a rebuild.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Coach is as much, if not more, a part of picking the players as the GM. I don't think you're going to see the GM go without the coach being fired as well because the coach still has final say on personnel.

But if OB goes, I think Rick goes as well. Some GMs do stick around when a coach is fired, but rarely do they make it through two, especially within a short time frame.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There was a tweet last week (maybe from the new guy at the Chron who covers the Texans) that there were whispers that BOB was losing the locker room. Maybe his style is more suited for college instead of the NFL.

I would never advocate firing a coach after 2 years, but IF TRUE....that's a game changer. Can a coach ever recover from losing a locker room?

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's the main reason why I think a firing after this year is a possibility. Same logic for why Kubiak was fired. If you lose the locker room, that's a problem. It's hard, if not downright impossible, to come back from that. You can't replace an entire roster. But you can replace a coaching staff.

McNair is a patient man, but if OB has lost the locker room then there's really no reason to expect better results next year. And I don't think McNair would give OB a 3rd year doomed to failure before it began just because he'd rather not have to replace a coach after only 2 years and start over again.

Losing is one thing. You can fix that. Good coaches have lost and recovered. Losing the respect of your players is something else, and I'm not sure how you come back from that.

#55 Cannonball, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You hired a new coach two years ago - a coach with an entirely different football philosophy and system. Yet, you expect him to take over a team that was put together by the previous regime and win with this set of players when the other coach couldn't do the same. It just doesn't happen that way in the NFL because of the number of players you have to deal with and that increases the difficulty immensely. That's why using the Rockets as an example doesn't apply here - Morey is only dealing with putting together a team with a playing rotation of 5-8 players verses 53. Plus, it took Morey 8 years to get the Rockets to where they are now but BoB is expected to work miracles and overcome the mistakes of this franchise in only two years and that's something that can't be done.

17. Mr. Clutch

Morey never tanked. Only reason it took that long was because Yao got hurt.

Texans have a better player than Yao in Watt.

BOB tanked by accident.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm starting to worry, more and more, that Vince Wilfork may very well be BOB's Ed Reed - a desperate grab at a past-his-prime veteran who can't stand the losing and starts to poison the locker room.

It's sooooooo dangerous to add guys like that to a team that precariously sits between being good and bad. They're frustrated at the dwindling production; frustrated that they're no longer winning...

This all supposes BOB is losing the locker room. And if true, I would agree that he needs to go. As much as I found him personally entertaining on HK, I also had a sneaking suspicion he was maybe too tightly wound for the NFL.

Regardless, these are professionals and you just can't jerk them around by setting sliding standards. And the "every week is week 1 (or however he termed it)" QB situation is a freaking clown show that very few NFL players will tolerate.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I can't say it enough if we screwed up with the Obrien hire we are screwed big time.

20. Mr. Clutch

Well what if we fire him asap.

Can't redo the drafts at this point