1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNabb to Oakland?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Might as well start a thread on this because it looks like McNabb is no longer an Eagle when the season opens in 5 months. All signs right now point to McNabb landing in Oakland with the Raiders. I've heard and read the trade could be for as much as Nnamdi and picks or as little as the 39th overall pick.

Wherever he is traded, I'll be cheering on that team just for the way the Eagles management treats their aging players and the way the Eagles fans blame him for everything. I'll still be cheering for the Eagles but I'll cheer on McNabb and wish him success wherever he goes.....

Any thoughts moes?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5038866

The Oakland Raiders have emerged as the leading candidate to land quarterback Donovan McNabb in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The sources say all the ingredients for a trade are in place. Of all the teams the Eagles have spoken with, the Raiders have been the most willing to meet the Eagles' asking price. Last week, The Associated Press reported that the Eagles want a pick in the top 42 of the 2010 draft for McNabb. Oakland has a second-round pick that is the 39th overall selection.

Also, the sources say McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, has scared off other teams. But, the sources say, Oakland is not concerned that McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 nor that the quarterback is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.

There also are connections between the Raiders and McNabb. Raiders owner Al Davis and McNabb each went to Syracuse, and Oakland's new offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, is a distant cousin of McNabb's.

Should Oakland trade for McNabb, it would be the most stark admission by the Raiders that former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell has not been the player the team had hoped. Oakland selected Russell with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft and awarded him a six-year, $68 million contract that included $31.5 million in guaranteed money.

One source familiar with trade discussions said no deal was done with Oakland. But other league sources predicted it soon would be done in a trade that would be the NFL's biggest offseason move.

And although McNabb has informed coach Andy Reid that he wants to stay with the Eagles and, if he has to be traded, would prefer to go to a winning team such as the Minnesota Vikings, the sources say the Eagles will do what they believe is best for team even if it means trading McNabb to the Raiders, a team with a recent history of losing.

McNabb and four others, including cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown and punter Sav Rocca were no-shows at the Eagles' non-mandatory workouts on Monday, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports.

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

If you end up in oakland, you near the end of your career.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

if you're a raider fan, i'd think you'd have to be happy. McNabb could help elevate them to a mediocre team.

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is moes celebrating?

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

They werent too terrible last year...winning 5 games is obviously not anything to rave about, but they did do better than I would have expected. Plus, they got wins against the Eagles, Bengals, and Broncos, so there is some potential there. McNabb would be a nice pick up for them. However, Nnamdi needs to remain a Raider...giving him up would not be worth the gain in McNabb.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If Donovan leaves does that mean Kolb will be starting? He put up some studly numbers for a few of those starts early last season.

7. T-man

T-man Member

If the Raiders give up Nasi and picks for Mcnabb, then they should finally strip the team from Davis. That would be robbery. I would not give up that high of a two for Mcnabb, much less the best player you have. He has always been slightly over-rated and now he is on the downside of his career. If I was a Raider fan, I would just quit, if we give up the best player we have had in an eternity for a washed up, above average QB. I guess nothing surprises with the Raiders, though.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Donovan is done in Philly and Kolb is starting.

Wish I could put money on those 2 things

9. Poloshirtbandit

Karl Kold for Heizman!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

What if he went to Dallas? :cool: :)

I think the Eagles are crazy to get rid of him. Dude can still ball and they still have a lot of talent on that team.

I don't think I'd turn over the team to Kolb even though I think he can be a good QB.

McNabb already IS a good QB.

But as a fan of a rival NFC East team I'm hoping the Eagles try to give Vick the job. :eek: :grin:

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

exactly. the raiders just seem to be a step behind every other team in the league. mcnabb makes them better by default (even though i think he's awful), but he gets them to mediocre at best.

and yet, if you're a raider fan, you sadly have to be happy about this, given their past 5 or so years of qb play. he'll get you 6-7 wins while short-hopping 10 yard passes into the turf.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

McNabb is a very good player. I've never understood Philly's incessant desire to try to dump him every chance they get. In any event, this isn't exactly an idea I'd be wild about if I'm McNabb considering that he's going to be turning 34 next season. You go from a playoff team to the fricken Raiders? Yikes. I hope the Raiders have a therapist on staff.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I hope this means that Oakland will let Russell go sooner or later. At LSU, he was the most accurate deep ball passer I had ever seen. If he went to Baltimore or somewhere else that utilizes the deep pass, and allowed to get accustomed to the system, I think he could be a great NFL quarterback. I'd like to see that.

1 person likes this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Wow, the drugs must have just kicked in.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This shows how NFL dealings arent like the NBA at all. If dealing Asomugha is even remotely true, if it was the NBA I'd be all over Asomugha and a pick for McNabb. McNabb being a veteran "expiring contract" who could "walk" after next season. That'd be like the current aging Kevin Garnett for Chris Bosh and a draft pick.

Raiders dont have any payroll concerns so its odd they'd even think of giving up that much. The Richard Seymour deal made a lot more sense transaction value-wise, especially how they can franchise Seymour.

I never understood the need to pile on McNabb and deal him every year either. Its like he's a top 20'ish QB in the league, when he's arguably a top 20 QB of all TIME off the stats.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Emotions must be in play here. I don't see the logic of the Eagles trading McNabb for a draft pick. My guess is the organization must be tired of having him around because he clearly gives them the best chance of winning next season. But maybe it's best to trade him with a year left than to let him walk next summer for nothing.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Russell is a trash football player, unless his fat ass ever puts a cheeseburger down and bothers to read a playbook or put in extra time or even give a **** whether the team wins or loses then he'll be the worst bust since Ryan Leaf. He showed signs of being decent at the end of 2008, but this past year was abhorrent. He has no pocket presence and what accuracy he displayed in years past went straight to hell. I seriously doubt he'll ever amount to anything.

Russell/McFadden/Heyward-Bey will be lauded as the worst attempt at building a triplet of offensive firepower though consecutive first round picks ever soon enough.

As for my thoughts on the trade, makes sense for nearly everyone. Asomugha goes to Philly (Oakland simply cannot afford to pay him 15 million dollars a year, he'll be a free agent by 2012). McNabb finally gets out of the situation in Philly, plays 1 year to make a crapload of money for the Raiders and then gets to choose which contender who wants to play for the year after.

****, If Asomugha is in Philly and Kolb is starting I might just have a new team to root for (Thank Christ).

Any room on the bandwagon Pun?

#17 moestavern19, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  18. Lil Pun

Even if he went to the Cowboys, you're damn right. I get so freaking sick of the whiny ass Philly fans it's crazy and sometimes I just don't get the management either but oh well.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it might work, though wondering if the Raiders O line is any good to protect McNabb.

20. Lil Pun

Hahaha

Well, hop aboard if you can deal with these cry babies wanting to get rid of somebody else after next season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.