1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mchales treatment of Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lid1013, Nov 20, 2013.

1. DL24

DL24 Member

at least he didn't go ESPN on us and say chinaman

2. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

I think he was being sarcastic.

3. DL24

DL24 Member

that...is also a great quote

this is what I wanna hear Lin say to Mchale next time in a game:

"Coach Mchale, gatorade me b****"

4. Omron

Omron Member

Lin took 5 shots and missed all of them. It doesn't matter if he took them in a span of 1 minute or 16 minutes. He needs to make at least 2 to demand more playing time.
    Lin is a bench player now.. that's his new reality. The sooner he comes to grips with this and try to maximize his time on the court, the better he will be. He can play out the rest of his contract and decide then which team to go to that will maximize his talents but right now, he needs to play with the cards he's been dealt with and make the best of his situation. He's shot like 2 for 14 in threes in the last 4 games so it's not like he's helping his cause for more playing time.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's this thing called practice

Because Lin's issue was fatigue. At least that's what I think. But I've seen Bev get yanked and Lin get the majority of minutes in a game this year too. So I think you just have selective memories.

6. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Nah, i do remember bev sitting while Lin is hot. If fatigue is an issue for somebody this young, then he got a problem. Practice is not the same as in game situations. From the look of it, the team didn't practice much on the zone.

7. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

once...which was the Toronto game...and he still got 24 minutes despite shooting 0-5.

8. howo13579

howo13579 Member

It's SEAMAN not aquaman.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it was the 2nd night of a back-to-back. I am not sure if it wasn't just the Mav's D. But Lin didn't have it. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on one game.

Practice is key. Yes, it looks like our team hasn't practiced much against a zone. It threw us off. Good thing we faced it early in the season.

10. MOHRocketeer

MOHRocketeer Rookie

Lin did create offensively. He had four assists and shifted the defense allowing for Casspi's scores. Then Casspi stopped giving him the ball since he thinks he is Magic Johnson

Parsons, Harden, Bev, etc all get to play through shooting slumps. But I guess Lin is the only Rocket that has to immediately hit his shots to play even though McHale has "two starting guards" and people said him going to the bench isn't a demotion because he is "the 6th Man"

BS

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I have to say, the evolution of Casspi from friend to foe in less than 12 hours is interesting to watch.

12. MOHRocketeer

MOHRocketeer Rookie

Casspi isn't a foe. But he does have a tendency to decide to run the fast break instead of outletting to one of the guards and last night it wasn't working

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's what happens when the fanatics need a target.

14. MOHRocketeer

MOHRocketeer Rookie

lol LOH creating their own special narrative whenever legit criticisms pop up

15. torocan

torocan Member

Technically speaking, that he went 0-5 in the game in that point is not statistically meaningful in terms of determining whether he was due to "score a bunch" or not.

It is highly likely that if he shot 5 more shots that he wouldn't shoot 0-5 since his base shooting percentage is obviously higher than Zero. In practice however, there is no way to know whether he would have shot 0-5 or 5-0 for the next 5 shots since there is such high variance in such a small series of events.

It's like flipping heads 3x then saying "I'm due for tails". While over the long run the flips should even out, the coin doesn't actually keep track of it's previous flips thus the next flip will still always be 50/50 regardless of how many heads you flipped in a row prior to your next flip.

However, the odds of Lin going 0-5 for the next 5 shots is actually quite low.

Just to give an example of how unlikely Lin going 0-5 on the next 5 shots would be, even if you believe Lin was having "one of those nights" and was shooting from a baseline accuracy of 20% (versus his 40% 3pt shooting in the season so far), the odds of him missing the next 5 consecutive shots would be 0.8^5, or 32%. In other words, 68% of the time you'd get a different result than 0-5.

And if you believe he'd just had an unlucky string of misses and he was still a 40% 3 point shooter, than the odds of him missing the next 5 consecutive shots would have been 7.7%, or a 92.3% of a different outcome.

That said, if you truly believe that defensively having Lin in the game would have had no defensive impact on the scoreboard (easy to argue in hindsight since Dirk and Ellis made almost every shot in the 4th quarter), then there is an argument to be made that even IF Lin did NOT shoot a single additional shot in the 4th quarter, his mere presence on the floor would have created more space on the floor simply due to the THREAT of him being an offensive force.

IF the Mavericks are aware that Lin is shooting a high percentage from 3 (probable), and they are aware that Lin is a very effective driver to the basket (near certain), than just having Lin on the floor versus Beverley (not an acknowledged offensive threat) would distort the defense.

It's similar to putting Casspi or Garcia on the floor. Even when they're not shooting well, their reputation as 3 point shooters forces defenses to play them honestly, thus creating more spacing on the floor for the remaining players to operate.

So, would it have been wise to put Lin on the floor instead of Beverley for more of the 4th quarter?

Certainly IF you assume that Ellis and Dirk were going to sink their shots at such a higher percentage, or that the rest of the team was going to miss most of their shots.

Possibly, if you believe that Dirk and Ellis would shoot a more normal percentage in the 4th quarter AND that Beverley's defense was not going to have a more substantial impact on the floor in the 4th quarter than Lin offensively.

In other words, it's not necessarily a no brainer when you're at the point of decision, IF you believed that Beverley was going to significantly impact the scoring percentage of the Mavs in the 4th quarter.

Of course, this is all in hindsight. And it's easy to coach perfectly when you already know the end result. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  16. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

All this talk about Lin.... lol

as far as I know Carlisle made defensive adjustments throughtout the game, especially in the fourth.

Mchale failed to adjust again. Or I'll just make it simple he got outcoached.

I read somewhere that Amare Stoudamire recently made it known that he is unhappy with his playing time in NY. He said something like how could he get into a rhytm when he plays in 3 -5 min spurts, he couldn't do much at all. This is true with any player.

Let's just accept that Lin is on a short leash here, so he needs to play really good to earn his minutes.

17. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Tristan Thompson also went 0-5 last night

Meanwhile Gordon Hayward..... 1/17 lol

18. pnr

pnr Member

Dat contract year

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Hahahahahahahahaha... oh man... that was a good one!

*looks at member's join date* Oh... he is actually being serious? Hahahahahahaha

20. torocan

torocan Member

Keep in mind, over the previous 4 years the worst performance Hayward ever had was 1/9.

So, over 4 years, and 300+ games, the odds of 1/17 occurring eventually over his career is significantly higher than any single game. So you can look at that as bad luck+an off night, or just a really unlucky night. :grin: