1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Mchales treatment of Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lid1013, Nov 20, 2013.

1. manning

manning Member

Beverley was gifted the starting job and shot 1 for 10 and played 34 minutes vs the Lakers.
    Lin only played 17 minutes in this game. No matter what I think he deserves more minutes ...
    He went 0-2 in the 1st Q, McHale sat him out the entire 2nd Q and then decided to put him back in with 2 minutes left in the 2nd Q.
    His timing on the court had already been screwed up...
    How important is Lin for the Rockets? Nothing?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tKTb_t4g39w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the Highlights of Lin between the Knicks vs the 76ers on March 21st, 2012
    Lin finished with 18 pts, 3 asts, 5 rebs, 1 stl, and 1 block shot in 36 minutes of play on 4-17 FG.

He scored 16 of his 18 in 4th q. He was only 1-11 before that.

You NEVER know what will happen on the couter

2. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

That's the issue many posters are bringing up. Lin has to start hot or he's sitting. Lin did not get a chance to right the ship like other players on this team do.

Bev getting gifted the starting job is absolutely right, he didn't earn it. Until he earns it, this debate will continue. As far as I know, Bev's superior defense was the reason why dallas scored 123 points. Too bad Lin landed in a bad situation with Mchale as coach and on a team with harden as the primary guy. On top of all of this, he's in the rumor mills again. Might as well trade him now while his value is high. Lin is highly unlikely to resign with the rockets.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't Lin's shooting that got him so little playing time. It was his overall play. If he was active and hustling he would still be in there. He wasn't. He looked like was running on gas. He didn't once get to the rim. Not once.

4. manning

manning Member

I think he played hard on D...and he tried hard to move the ball.

5. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

And you noticed that if you follow your line of thinking, you get negative reps. LOL, only in CF.

6. kmart9419

He's been only in there for barely 17 minutes. How do you expect him to learn to play against the zone?

The point is, why do other players on this team get to play through their issues and Lin does not. Sticking with your player inspires confidence and Lin is certainly a confidence type of guy. Getting yanked like that will make him passive.

7. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/EEneggSHic4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/EEneggSHic4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop posting Knicks highlights on the ROCKETS GARM.

We don't give F about the KNICKS.

9. TheJet

TheJet Member

And that's it. My first ignore. Congratulations sir on making another Rockets fan that much more jaded.

When will it all stop?!?

10. Fighton

Fighton Member

fact of the matter is, in a game like this where bev couldn't do anything to slow down ellis, you put your most dangerous playmakers and scorers on the floor and match their firepower.

bev didn't do anything in Q4, and they had a plan to contain harden and howard. outside of them two, dallas didn't really have much to worry about.

in a situation like this, how much good would a third offensive option, another guy that has proven to be able to generate points in bunches, be to the team? well, we'll never know but logic says that it could've helped.

if this was lin of last november, i'd say yeah, he wasn't going to do much. but this year, lin has been incredibly efficient in scoring the ball, and playing at such a high level that the odds are, he would've helped in Q4.

"So far this season his XPPS is 1.114, sandwiched right in between the marks of Kevin Durant and LeBron James. That’s a fairly significant increase from last season, when his XPPS was 1.089." XPPS is expected points per shot.

i mean, he did go 0-5 in the game, so the odds were actually in his favor to score a bunch in Q4, make a few plays while the Dallas D was keyed in on harden and dwight. when a player has been playing as well as lin for the first 13 games, you put him in there and trust him to help you win - chances are he can help.

what annoys me about mchale, and we've seen this time, and time again when the game is tight, is he goes into his shell. he starts playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. and the way the team plays in tight games reflects that perfectly.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Heroes are made in the playoffs, not winning streaks on the Knicks when their key players were hurt.

Not saying Jeremy could not be a hero. he just hasn't done anything heroic for Rockets fans yet.

for the Non Rocket fans yes, he's Superman and Aquaman all rolled into one.

12. Fighton

Fighton Member

the sooner that lin can learn NOT to depend on mchale (or any coach) for his confidence, the better he will be.

13. RocketPowerNick

It's tough when Mchale doesn't let Lin have many opportunities to be the hero.

14. manning

manning Member

lol It's my fault. I can't find any examples of the same kind of game in the Rockets.

15. DL24

DL24 Member

Some look at things that are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

- George Bernard Shaw

16. tinman

Supporting Member

forgiven.

come on dude, J Lin has had some great games with the Rockets. you can find some examples, look for the 'clutchfans' youtube page.

17. jason330i

jason330i Member

wait! what is so special about aquaman?

18. bws

bws Member

Yes, we're on the same page.

19. kmart9419

Mchale has an outsize influence on his minutes. Rather hard to avoid. Only way around it at this point is to play like an all star so he can't put him on the bench.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

b**** - Jesse Pinkman