1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale - You Can Coach Them Hard - Can You Really?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Arthurprescott2

I don't have search capabilities on this board. Sorry. You'll have to live with my "wild" accusations. :p

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Don't be so sensitive and accuse people of hating on Lin even when the topic has absolutely nothing to do with Lin.

Your master doesn't need to be protected.

3. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

But your last sentence says it all! Sorry, I should MYOB. Anyway, hope for a good game tonight.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't see how that is an insult to Jeremy Lin.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Mighty Morphin' CF threads all morph into Jeremy Lin threads. I'm waiting for CH's PPat pity-parties to morph next. :grin:

6. alethios

alethios Member

7. SeabrookMiglla

I definitely would have liked to seen Adelman coach this team over McHale, but i think McHale is honestly a good players- coach for these young guys.

I think he gets his hard coaching from being on the toughest Celtic squad that ever was, so he sets high expectations for his players. i somewhat see his Celtic swag rubbing off on this squad,and personally i like a team with attitude.

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

How does the OP's example prove that "hard" coaching effect players' development? If anything, the Cougar players were OVER confident before this game and practiced lousily. Did Akeem's growth as a player become stunted by Guy V's coaching?

9. Arthurprescott2

LOL sorry - I'm a DMo-only fan. And that master I'll protect. :grin:

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't know if you can coach them hard, but you cannot foul whatever McHale has been doing, because this team has done better than any reasonable people could imaged.

NBA is a result oriented league, so until this team plays below management expectation, McHale will be here to stay.

11. brick

brick Member

In the first half of the season the coaches let Harden play both 1 and 2, possibly due to the pressure of justifying Harden mega contract and pushing him into the All Star game. Rockets were playing averagely during this time. Then Jeremy was slowly getting back from injury and scored 38pt in the game against the Spurs. Harden began to recognize the talent of his teammate and let him share the ball handling in MSG. Thanks to Harden, this started a series of eye-popping Rockets games. The coaches subsequently incorporated Lin into more of the ball handling and Lin has been improving fast. Now it's time for the coaches to take the advice from Murphy more seriously before it's too late: let Lin do the ball handling and let Harden play off the ball more often. Under-utilizing Lin's talent as a facilitator and overburdening Harden in offense may not get the team to the playoffs. It obvious from the last few games when the PG was doing majority ball handling Rockets played much better.

1 person likes this.
  12. jocar

jocar Member

How can you compare the 2 teams' mentality when it was an entirely different squad? Only if you think high character leaders like Scola, Battier, or Chuck wouldn't be as motivated under Mchale can you make that estimation, and I just don't see that happening. Do you really think Adelman should be credited for those guys' confidence? Otherwise, player weakness is to blame more than a coach (if that even is the case). The presence of those guys on the floor with this team would make a world of a difference in attitude/confidence more than would Adelman. We just don't have that type of leadership because none of these youngins have risen to the occasion and taken the reigns- yet.

I agree he's better suited for leading a squad of vets who wouldn't need as much emotional supervision. Although it would be a bonus if he did, he's just not that type of guy. He was a beast in Boston who fought off the biggest badasses in the paint, and was coached by Fitch and KC Jones (who actually make him look like a softie)- it's not so surprising that he is the way that he is. I'm actually more glad he's somewhat a hardass and doesn't just throw in the towel or act like he didn't give a damn after the team was blown up; and especially what happened with his daughter.

These are grown men, gettin paid in a professional league, up against the best in the world. If they were kids playin in peewee league, sure go ahead, om-nom the boob milk. But at this stage, just, no. What if they got traded to a team with an even tougher coach? Retirement? Or fetal position? Emotional immaturity (depending on others for confidence, or letting outside factors affect it) is better served with tough love. You don't see all-stars/superstars having these issues - no matter who their coach is. At some point they'll need to learn to find and step up their swagger themselves, or their careers won't last too long.

1 person likes this.
  13. jocar

jocar Member

And....
    [​IMG]
    Bit of an exaggeration don't u think? ;)

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

good read

I think coach's personality also would reflect into the team if they keep him long enough. Another hard ass coach I could think of is Jerry Sloan, and in his most successful case: Malone + Stockton, they both seems reflecting Sloan's mean and bitterness on the court.