1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I still don't get that. If a head coach is that reliant on his assistants, why not just promote one of them?

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

My guess is that players respond more and are more receptive to coaches who have been around the block or coaches who are former players more than the younger assistants trying to make a name for themselves.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I'm sorry this is wrong. They like him but Mchale never commands or demands respect, it's very rare when does get upset with someone other than Jeremy Lin(No I'm not a LOF). Being on a Basketball Team being rich and being young you need someone to act like a drill sergeant on your ass, in order to keep your ego in check and to make sure you play your ass off and do the little things, Mchale can't do that, he is not that type of guy.

Part of the reason they like him is because he is so damn easy on them and nice, so hell yeah of course they love him. He is more of a friend than a boss and our guys need a boss. It kills me that even now people don't seem to recognize the problem, it's just going to continue. Not only does he lack the X's and O's but he also lacks the ability to motivate this team and keep their heads in the game, which is why they lose leads. When you lose leads like that, it points directly to the coach. Why? guys are tired, they've been in too long other guys aren't sure what their roles are and some don't even know if they will play at all, they lack direction and motivation at key points in the game.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think maybe they(Our FO) belive that to be true, but it's not.

5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I have a feeling Mchale wants to be done with coaching. He rather spend time with his family than dealing with the stress. Can Chris Finch run this team? Has he learned enough? I think he's ready.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

What makes you so sure about that?

Plenty of successful figure head type coaches who were ex players that delegated a lot of the Xs and Os to their assistants in the past.

You can't be locked into thinking their is only one way to do things.

7. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

So, uh, anyone know what happened during this meeting..?

8. noone

noone Rookie

Kevin Mchale told stories about hanging out with Ted Danson when he guessed starred on Cheers. Les Alexander was really impressed.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I went through all the Morey's twits (**** load of it) for the last couple hours and he talked everything about the Rockets and even the Texans,

but NONE, not a single word mentioned about McHale.

Hope is still alive!

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am starting to believe that this had been said to McHale :

- Kevin we want to take some time to consider who will be our coach next year, definitely you are our No. 1 choice now, but we are really disappointed for the loss in 1st round, we need some more time to re-evaluate everything on everyone.

I think Morey really wants to at least wait till the playoff get to the final rounds to see whom will be fired and whom will be available to make his final decision.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That was my point.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What have you seen from Finch since he joined the Rockets that makes you believe he is ready?

13. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

If he's kept on, it will be mainly as a figurehead. Morey isn't as clueless as to not know that KM needs some talented assistant coaches to right the wrongs. At the same time, he can't just be fired - they want him to be able to save face. Morey has to save face in this situation too. McHale will likely be kept on another year - but loaded up with an able coaching staff.

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Lopez summed it all up at the spurs/blazers gm 1 post interview. To the effect that they only had to stick to defending ISO's with Houston. Not like the billion plays that Pop has up his sleeve. Do you see how many screens parker runs through... it's like a roller coaster. Then there's the Lock Down D!

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You can say this until you are blue in the face, we ain't getting a new coach, I think Mchale is one of Morey's biggest mistakes, we had the talent to beat Portland just not the coach. Again Mchale is a great guy, so is JVG but neither of them should be coach of the Rockets.

16. deedee82

deedee82 Member

After reading thru everyone's posts.... How about we get a coach to coach our coach?

Brilliant idea no?

Sigh. Let the next season start already. Life without bball is sad...

17. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

To be honest, I think DH's tenure there is wasted. Even if a new coach comes in, it takes a year or two before the team gels on the offensive and defensive end and play as a group.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yeah you might be right..

But then again, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

[​IMG]

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

McHale is a great leader or McHale has strong leadership yadda yadda... is just something analytics-obsessed fans (like Nook) like to say to excuse Morey's decision to hire him and keep him here for next year...

Morey's their infallible god, so you can understand their defensiveness...

Of course, when you look at the product on the floor, the behavior of his players, ignoring plays, basically doing what they want in crucial game situations, most famously demonstrated by James in game 6 going against McHale's call to "stay with your man" and deciding to call a switch, that cost us the game... The horrible body language of his "superstar" leading player... chucking shots and failing miserably in a potential elimination game in Game 5, even after his blatant incompetence forces an outside intervention by Elie and Hakeem to pump these guys up and get them re-focused... you realize how much BS that is...

There's nothing else to say to justify McHale's position as a head coach... so they just repeat this one thing, since it's "impossible to disprove through calculations"... and force to stick...

You try to refute that with "the eye test", and they just dismiss it as unsubstantial... Doesn't matter how many of us, including members of the media, and big Celtic legends homer Bill Simmons calls him out on his inability to lead tis team, let alone coach them... or how many of us saw the Rockets failing in the Playoffs due to the same negative pattern they SAW throughout the regular season - which turned out to be true...

THey'll just keep saying "he's a great leader, just lacks in the x's and o's department. More talent, and a good assistant is all we need"...

My favorite, is when they make comparisons to Rudy T... Who failed with a young team... which is what McHale has... Like it's a positive...

1 person likes this.
  20. Hmm

Hmm Member

To say nothing of the hypocrisy of this approach...