1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. SunsRocketsfan

so you are telling me there is a chance.....

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also,

the longer it takes for the Rockets to confirm McHale will be back officially next season,

the higher the chance that he won't be back.

Pretty sure Morey and Less will push McHale to accept some changes in the coaching group for the coming season - expecting to see JB gone and they are going to hand pick couple new guys for him.

It all depends on whether McHale will feel his pride got hurt and wants to remain a lame duck for another year.

The longer this thing goes, the higher the chance McHale will be gone.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Good points! Bottom line is that the assistant we hire to take Sampson's spot is going to have to be a Coach level talent that knows the X and O's and Defense for sure.

4. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Hopefully Pacers crash and burn so Vogel gets fired so he can then come be the assistant coach here.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

You sloan-wanters get under my skin.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, the real discussion should be the quality and experience on the bench next to McHale. Honestly, most "good" coaches are surrounded by an excellent staff. Look at the assistants that Rivers has had in Boston, Popovich in San Antonio, Mark Jackson in GS the last two years and Thibs has had in Chicago..... Thibs, Ron Adams, Bud and Malone all are/were elite lead assistants.

Personally I think the Rockets should run HARD at Ron Adams and Darren Erman. Both of these guys are hard nosed, experienced assistants that really stress personal accountability and defensive schemes.

Ron Adams spent last year in Boston after years in Chicago and Oklahoma City. He is very good.

Darren Erman is younger and also has a Celtics pedigree. He worked hard on the Warriors defense, and is well liked around the league.

PJ Carlisimo is another coach that would bring a tremendous amount of experience. He has connections to the Spurs. He is famous for being choked by Sprewell but he is actually known as a very tough but respected coach by the players.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Vogel is a very hard worker and good communicator, he is also, other than Thibs, the most creative defensive coach in the NBA. However, he is very young and known as "soft" on his players.... not sure he is who the Rockets would get as a top assistant.

The Rockets wont do it, but I wish they would look at adding someone like Vogel AND someone like Adams.... I am sure Les would spend the money if Morey goes that route.

8. SunsRocketsfan

evidence of this where?

I see quite the contary.. I see players disobeying his so called play calling. I see him completely clueless and crumble under pressure.. I see our players not having a clue on what to do in crunch time.. I see our players make mistake after mistake that cost us close games.. All these things point to a LACK OF LEADERSHIP ABILITY!! But yes also true he lacks X's and O's.. so why is he a effing coach? just because he's a nice guy?

HE NEEDS TO GO!

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

^^^ Hmm... the Ron Adams name sounded familiar... former coach at Fresno State.

Didn't Erman have an issue at GS?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Good luck with that chief....

11. Nook

Nook Member

Yes Ron Adams was a former coach at Fresno and a number of other places. He was the head assistant under Thibs and was fired by the GM in a power struggle, Thibs was very upset. Adams has also coached in Boston, OKC, SA and other places. He is very good.

Darren Erman was the coach fired by Mark Jackson. The story surrounding him is very odd. He was getting credit for the defense in GS, and Jackson was upset. Jackson and Hunter and others were bad mouthing Erman, they had his parking spot changed to the back of the lot and did not invite him to meetings. Erman eventually left his phone recorder on when he wasn't in the room to catch Jackson bad mouthing him. He was caught and confessed. Still, he is a very good up and coming coach.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

QFT, there used to be a time when you would get flamed for even mentioning the possibility...

1 person likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

lol it just hit me that, perhaps, the big FA signing Les was talking about is actually a COACH.

Honestly I don't know how it's going to do - Mark Jackson was said to be safe by many, and the players supported him. He's gone. Same with McHale, I think he could be gone despite recent reports.

But honestly I would prefer to keep him and surround him with elite technical assistants.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, thanks for the info on Ron Adams and Darren Erman.

So, what you are saying is that the Rockets just need to get Erman, he needs to secretly audio tape something scandalous that James Harden said, and then black mail him to play better defense? Roger! ;-)

In all seriousness, getting someone from the Thibs coaching tree like Adams sounds like a good get in terms of defense.

15. SunsRocketsfan

you mean Good Luck to the rockets on being contenders.. cause we are not going anywhere with that idiot at the helm

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What I don't get is that Mark Jackson actually led the Warriors to the second round last season. Without home court advantage no less. And they gave the Spurs all they could handle in the 2nd round. Shoot, if they didn't choke away that huge Game 1 lead, they're probably in the conference finals against the Grizzlies. And this season they were the underdog against the Clippers and took them to Game 7 and had a chance to win. Without their starting center available for the series.

Yet they still fired Jackson. And it's not like he'd been there for a decade like George Karl in Denver and the organization just felt like it was time for a fresh start. Dude was in his third year like McHale. I don't get how one coach gets canned and the other sticks around when the former achieved a lot more(with arguably less to work with).

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, that's a lower chance than most daily events. :)

18. Nook

Nook Member

The Warriors improved mostly because of improved talent and health.

Further, much of the improvement the last two years has been linked to assistant coaches like Malone and Erman.

Jackson fought with his assistants, the ownership heard from assistants about Jackson's inattentiveness at practice and that he relied heavily on his assistants. Those same assistants, he refused to give credit to.

Ultimately, causation and correlation are not the same. With so much importance placed on assistant coaches, and quality of the product on the court, head coaches like Jackson are vulnerable. If you are an ass, or you do not keep the team unified, you will be replaced. The Warriors brass know that they can find another Head Coach that will motivate and keep everyone on the same page if they surround him with good assistants.

19. bmd

bmd Member

LMAO. I don't know why, but I found that line hilarious.

20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Maybe they should look at Adrian Griffin as a replacement for Sampson if Thibbs gets the axe in Chi town. Wouldn't mind giving Elie a look as well.