1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Lol the Rockets are the reason Portland is gonna lose. They were so bad on both ends Portland started playing down to the level of the Rockets and now with the Spurs they have no idea how to play some they're so used to Isos and FTs and open shots.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What else have they said besides that Robin Lopez quote?

3. cbk41

cbk41 Member

It's cloud nine when you can get ref-assisted for a series like the Blazers did. Has to change at some point though.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Larry Brown said that Rudy T had some of the best Xs and Os strategy of any coach he ever worked with......Rudy was a players coach but he KNEW basketball strategy.

DD

1 person likes this.
  5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I read somewhere that Rudy T's Rockets started the 4 shooters around Hakeem strategy. Under him, the Rockets also shot the most 3 pt shots in one season.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/14/4100262/nba-power-fowards-three-point-shooters-cliff-robinson

"Matt Bullard was part of a Houston Rockets team that made great use of floor-stretching shooters at all positions surrounding Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon on two championship teams. Bullard and Robert Horry were among those 12 players to have seasons with three or more attempts per game. Bullard, now in his eighth season as a color analyst for the Rockets, credits coach Rudy Tomjanovich for being a visionary when it came to spreading the floor.

"I think Rudy T was way ahead of his time in his understanding of spacing and the benefit of the three-point shot," Bullard said. "Rudy used me to space the floor to give Hakeem, then later Charles Barkley, room to operate in the post. Rudy was also great at using me as a pick-and-pop guy. Rudy always encouraged me to shoot the three, and I give him all the credit for bringing the ‘stretch four' into vogue."

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't know if he started it, but I do laugh when folks credit Mike D and other folks for going small or putting a 3 at the 4 when Rudy did that in 95. I read an article the other day about Phil Jackson being innovative and playing Horry at PF. Um, hadn't he already won a title playing there in 95? :confused:

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Discussing McHale's candidates for the Assistant Coaching position.

Discussing defensive tactics for next season.

Discussing the best way to convince Harden to play better defensively.

Discussing what he thinks about acquiring Melo this offseason.

8. Mr Chuck Norris

His family issues.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I hope they fire this incompetent clown there and then.

A pathetic clueless coach who has already wasted away one year of our prime "contention years"

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Rudy had the right idea. He just didn't have a great roster. He went to ISO ball in an era where it was actually successful. He didn't try to change Steve Francis, he let him develop as he was, which enabled him to maximize his value. Van Gundy came in and tried to change his game (something JVG would later say he regretted) and Francis' career never recovered.

Scott Brooks would go on to use the same approach when developing Durant and Westbrook. Yes Brooks has his shortcoming when it comes to X's and O's and several other critical aspects of coaching, but I feel as though he's done a great job developing those guys.

Rudy could adapt. He won a bronze medal with Brad Miller and 11 CBA/college bozos during the NBA lockout. He had his shortcomings, but he can coach the **** out of some basketball.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

'We decided to give McHale one more year to see what he can do'

12. count_dough-ku

Rudy was a great coach with a veteran ballclub in the pre-zone defense era. The problem is the NBA constantly changed their rules in large part because of him. After the 1994 Finals, they moved in the 3-point line and cut down on handchecking thanks to the ugliness of that Rockets-Knicks series. Then a few years later, they stopped enforcing illegal defense rules after watching Barkley do that arm wave to draw the call half the time he posted up. And then they allowed zone defense after the Rockets won 45 games running ISO plays for Francis and Mobley on one side of the floor which cleared out all but one of the opposing team's defenders.

Eventually the constantly evolving rules turned Rudy into a relic as a coach. He could never adapt to the new style of play which was most evident when he took over the Lakers and again went to all ISO with Kobe. It also didn't help matters that he did a terrible job with personnel moves while with the Rockets. Even a great coach isn't gonna be able to do much with a roster of Francis, Mobley, Mo Taylor, Moochie Norris, Walt Williams, Kelvin Cato, Shandon Anderson, a washed-up Glen Rice, and Eddie Griffin.

But I'll say this about Rudy. At least was once a great coach. He won 2 titles. So I could understand Les cutting him a lot of slack before finally letting him go. I don't really see what McHale has done in his stint in Minnesota or here that justifies giving him another year. Other than 54 regular season wins which frankly isn't THAT impressive. You've got Dwight Howard and James Harden on your team for God's sake!

13. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

stand you ground law?

14. dragician

dragician Member

McHale's talent will end in Florida.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

*sniff* Things are going to get better...

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

McHale: "Alright hellas....since we just lost the Playoffs series...let's go fishing."
    Les: "I love fishing...do it every year."
    Morey: "What a bunch of losers. I can't believe we're doing the same shyt every year."
    McHale & Les: "LOLLL"
    Morey: ":("

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Mchale needs to be screamed at all home games next year by fans sitting close to him. Let this idiot know he is coaching terribly as Houstonians we gotta stop letting coaches like Mchale keep titles in our organization with a great team and not do the job right.

1 person likes this.
  18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I know,

this could be just a glimpse of hope,

but the last time when Morey twitted, it was still in G6.

He did not twitted anything after that game till today.

So technically, the Rockets never officially confirmed McHale will be back other than reports from Feigen from a "reliable source".

Its highly unlikely that it will happen (McHale let go), but there is still some hopes left.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

He lost his daughter November of 2012. December of 2013 his mother passes. And now this in 2014. What would you feel if you've gone through all that and we screamed at your face?

20. count_dough-ku

Losing a family member doesn't mean he shouldn't get heat for his performance. Not necessarily from his own fans at games, but certainly from the media, the organization, and the fanbase at large. Rick Adelman had a pretty rough season off the court this past year, but that didn't prevent him from stepping down after it was over.