1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

With a healthy Yao, we win in 2009... no question about it... Would've steamrolled the Denver nuggets... That team without Yao, took LA (the champs that year) to seven games...

That team's chemistry, identity, collective talent, and determination was too strong... I consider that team the last Rockets' team that showed the heart of a champion... unfortunately, Yao got injured...

And, if Tracy had been healthy and actually bought into that team's philosophy.... along with a healthy Yao... Back to back championships would've been highly feasible...

2. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

We don't know what Jordan would have done had he not stopped playing basketball in 1993-1995.

We all know what happened in any event.

I'd say the Rockets win at least 1 of 2 Finals vs. Jordan's Bulls (if Jordan's Bull's would have made the Finals in those years) in the mid-90s. I'd have loved to see that play out.

Does Jordan's having not lost in the Finals point to his incredible will to win? Or does it point to a lack of overall competition from the teams he played against in the Finals? Who knows.

3. afk

afk Member

Why do they need to meet in Florida to fire him?

4. conquistador#11

now I want to cry. that team fought for each other.

1 person likes this.
  5. GMNot

GMNot Member

I mentioned Rudy for this very reason in another thread. The similarities between the two aren't minor.

There is one big factor in playing good defense, aside from needing certain athletic skills (good footwork, etc., which is just as important on the defensive end as the offensive end of the court), and that is PASSION.

If every player on the team had Beverly's mentality you'd see better overall defense. The same for rebounding. Almost all players who are/were good rebounders say it's mostly about the passion of wanting the rebound.

Most, if not all, of the HOF players played with passion. McHale certainly did. They played like there wasn't any other reality for them. We as fans, know it when we see it, but can't really relate to that since we watch the games and then return to our "normal" lives. Do we treat our jobs like that? But players like Jordan, Bird, Magic... a host of them were passionate on the court and off. This is what you can't teach. You can't really motivate someone else to be passionate unless they are receptive to it. They either have it or they don't. They can "catch" it from being around someone who is passionate, but they have to be receptive to it. That's on them, not the coach.

A telling quote from an article I just looked at mentions that McHale was named to the All Defensive Team on several occasions in his career. You want good defense? It starts with a passion for it. Examples abound. How about Moses Malone? Was his ability so much greater than those around him or was it his passion that got all those rebounds? Passion can be intimidating. Some players (like McGrady and Bryant, for instance) like to call it "imposing your will on the game." Whatever one calls it, it boils down to passion.

An article in the Oregonian after the Rockets were down 0-1 in the series addresses the issue of passion and demeanor.

I really appreciate the above posts because there is the recognition success isn't just on the coach. I think there is a disconnect between players of today and the so-called "old school" players. Too many of them don't have the passion for being successful on a consistent basis. Some are limited by their athletic ability and may never be great no matter how many hours they put in. But the effort should flow from that passion. Effort without the passion won't translate on the court the same.

After Tom Thibodeau left the Rockets to become the head coach of the Bulls and we all got to see his stamp on the defense and realized his contribution to the Rockets defense. And he wasn't our head coach. That's why a staff of coaches is important. Finding the right assistant coach to replace Sampson with a good track record of defensive coaching is what is most needed -- not firing McHale. A passionate player recognizes another player with passion. It's why Beverly became the starter even though he isn't as much of an offensive threat to the opposing defense. He plays with passion.

And as much as I love Beverly and his passion, I think it is imperative to have a point guard that is an offensive threat when needed. See Tony Parker.

Passion leads to wanting to be an all-around skilled player -- not just a good scorer, OR defender and putting in the time to have a very good overall game. Mid-range jumper? Yes. Free throws? There are some people who just can't seem to develop good free-throw shooting form. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's lack of the right "tutor." I was hoping Calvin Murphy would be able to transfer his skills to the players who need it.

Find a way to transfuse Beverly's passion into the rest of the roster and you've got the basic ingredient to really chase a championship. The key is to not let passion lead to careless mistakes and turnovers.

(I'll apologize ahead of time for delayed responses. I don't generally get on any forums on weekends. Sorry.)

1 person likes this.
  6. houtown

houtown Member

Maybe. Its a matter of opinion as with JOrdan. Like a guy said before, who knows what would've happened?

7. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

no matter how u paint it as long as Milk Hair is HC and bev is starting PG this team is not going anywhere. I wont lay out text wall just gonna come back mock ya next yr.

8. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

2009 was a pretty weak year in the NBA.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not really. If you look at the standings, a lot of teams were bunched together because the league was dominated that year by the Cavs(66 wins), Lakers(65 wins), Celtics(62 wins), and Magic(59 wins).

But it was still a very good year in the NBA. The Celtics were robbed of a realistic shot at repeating thanks to the Garnett injury, but there were still some fantastic series in the playoffs. Remember, that was the year of that insane Celtics-Bulls first round matchup.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

With that weak-ass reply, you shouldn't be allowed to mock anyone.

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mNgBf6VQbaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. albuster

albuster Member

I really love your post "teamwork>math" or something to that effect. That pretty much summed up the soon to be a decade of chasing the pot of gold at the end of the analytics rainbow.

13. albuster

albuster Member

Totally agree with you.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Great Golf

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Les' Home. I doubt if they discussed things over golf.:)

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I agree. I'll copy what I posted in the Harden defense thread:

The only thing that will make Harden play defense is hatred at seeing the opposing team, and his assignment in particular, score. It's really that simple. It's about being a competitor. If you want to play "I got mine" and ISO and run into traffic for foul shots, you'll never play defense or any kind of team oriented action. You have to hate to lose so bad that you can't live with yourself letting the other guy score.

17. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I got so happy when that douchebag posted McHale got fired.

I think the whole Rocket's nation is waiting when desperate hope the McHale is removed from the head coaching position.

If McHale remains it just shows how clueless or front office is. Morey has dropped from being a legend to a complete douchebag since Dwight's signing. Bringing McHale back for another season just solidified his DOUCHENESS.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They discussed Dean Cooper in this meeting.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need Old Man Rock to generate a story on what really went down in florida

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Something along the lines of...

Les: You're an excellent coach, Kevin, so I know you're not to blame. I refuse to believe anything the media says - Bill Simmons is nothing more than prototypical fair weathered Celtics fan - after all, you had a marvelous career as a player, and as we know, that's a good indication of how well you'll do as a coach. That stuff just transfers over naturally. Right, Clyde?

Clyde: Hehehehe. Easier than clubbing baby seals.

Les: That reminds me.... I should really extend your color commentating contract for another four years. Home games only, of course. With that silver tongue of yours, it's incredible fans want Calvin back courtside. That stuff's gold! I guess that's due to your marvelous career as a HOF player.

At any rate, Kevin, who should I be looking at as the root of the problem for our inexplicable first round collapse?

Morey: Stats indicate head coach's have measurably little to no influence on the outcome of a game. It must be the assistants. We saw what happened after our prodigiously defensive stalwart, Kelvin Sampson, was removed from the equation.

Les: You're absolutely, right, Daryl. This is why I pay you the big bucks. Let's see who's on the staff... *reads staff sheet* What about Dean Cooper?

McHale: *deer in the headlights stare for a moment, followed by a slow perplexed shake of his head, a lift of his shoulders and a glazed over look at Les, as if to say, 'I don't know what else could've been done'*

Les: Excellent point, Kevin. I think you're right. With that kind of astute situational thinking and decision making, I can't see any other way our team could've failed so miserably in the playoffs other than having your solid direction being impeded by the assistant coaches.

Morey: Not to mention we're severely lacking in the talent department. By my calculations any coach would fail with a roster so terribly destitute of talent - such as ours is - as badly as Kevin.

McHale: I-I-It-It's like I told them, y-y-you know... Y-y-you gotta try harder.

Les: I agree completely. Don't worry, Kevin. We'll get to work on this matter immediately. A man of your marvelous leadership skills, shouldn't be saddled with a coaching staff that undermines your effort. To say nothing of our devoid-of-talent roster.

And don't be so hard on yourself. Not even Phil Jackson could've pulled it off against the Portland Trailblazers. They're a marvelous team.

1 person likes this.