1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I'm surprised most people think it's Morey keeping Mchale, while the legit media reports(recent ESPN report) are saying Les likes Mchale. Also cyberx started a thread in the series about how Morey grew frustrated with Mchale.

I think Morey has no choice but to on board with Les.

2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

cyberx isn't saying SHi* about this.

Ask him about Comcast though!!!!

:rolleyes:

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Part of me is hoping for an updated title that I know will never arrive:

(Update: McHale Fired After All!!!!)

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

He relays to us what he HEARS. He doesn't have first-hand knowledge of the inner-workings of our management team. Get a grip.

I can't believe we still have to go through this.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

6. makio9

makio9 Member

My sources say that Lebron is considering leaving Miami and going back to Cleveland. Lebron could be a Rocket. If he's thinking of leaving then there's no reason why Houston can't be the place.

Maybe this meeting in Miami was a smokescreen.

7. sun12

sun12 Member

I also try to believe that's the case. The reason: if Morey is competent as everyone claims to be, how can the following be true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_franchise_post-season_droughts

It has been 17 years since Rox went to the conference final, ranked #7 in the NBA.

It has been 5 years since Rox won a playoff series, ranked #8 in the NBA.

Basically, this Rox organization is at the bottom of the NBA teams for a long long time (since the Dream years), so what does this tell you? It has nothing to do with a single coach, a single player etc. It has everything to do with the GM and the owner. If the GM is as good as everybody claims to be, what do all these evidence say about the owner?

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Does Les enjoy losing in the first round? Dude ain't getting any younger. He's 70 years old. He hasn't won a title since 1995. And let's be frank. He lucked into those two championships. He bought the team at exactly the right time when the foundation had already been put in place by Steve Patterson.

If the true reason McHale is returning as head coach is that Les really likes him(BTW, I don't believe this is the case, but I'll play along), then he needs to back the F off and let the GM do his job.

9. houtown

houtown Member

Not to mention Jordan was on a hiatus play baseball those two years basically.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Every media report re: McHale staying suggests that Les is the one who wants him here.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One year. The Magic and Shaq smashed Jordan in 95.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is a permaban offense right here. Jordan couldn't even muster the strength to be the Magic, then we wiped the floor with the magic. TINMAN WHERE ART THOU?!

13. houtown

houtown Member

Yeah, but Jordan came back really late that second season after not playing a whole year. It was difficult for that team to build chemistry in 17 games.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Oh right, chemistry with a secondary he already won a championship or two with in Pippen, chemistry with a coach who he owes everything to in Jackson, or do you mean the difficulty of playing in a new city or for a new organization? Check the excuses at the door, that Orlando Magic team was pretty damn good. The Bulls had nothing to stop Shaq, it was and is the Dream who continues to give Shaq nightmares.

15. houtown

houtown Member

Thats not to say the Magic weren't a really good team and the Rockets didn't deserve the championship that year. Im just saying that after a whole year and a half of not playing basketball, and then coming back to a team thats not the same team is going to make a difference. I don't think the results would've been the same if Jordan spent a full year of basketball building chemistry with that team and not missed 62 games. My opinion since JOrdan was the standard back then.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They went 13-4 in those 17 games. They beat Charlotte 3-1 in the playoffs without homecourt. The reason the Bulls lost to the Magic was in part due to rust in Jordan's game, but mostly because their roster was not very good. They had no power forward. Ron Harper still had a scorer's mentality(after all, he was brought in to play MJ's position) and hadn't reinvented himself as a defensive stopper. And Dennis Rodman was still playing for the Spurs.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Go look at Jordan's stats that year in the playoffs. It was statistically one of his better playoffs. One thing he had trouble with was turnovers. He turned the ball over more than normal.

But it wasn't as much of a drop off as people think. They are acting like he was a scrub out there. He was still Michael Jordan.

People act like the Bulls would have won 8 straight if Jordan didn't leave. But they were different teams between the 3-peats.

There was no Rodman in 1995.

Go look at their roster that year... they just weren't as good as people think.

18. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

True. By the same logic, Yao and Tmac were injured most of the time they were together. So if that hadn't happened, we would've have won a couple championships.

19. houtown

houtown Member

Jordan's stats were his usual stats in the playoffs. The team had to redefine roles and that is a process for teammates to become comfortable with. He was still Jordan, your right, but even he needs to have a bond with his teammates which is essential in the triangle offense. The bond other teams had was stronger because they played a whole season together. The roster wasn't as good as the years to proceed it, but it was still a great roster. The roster with Rodman was one of the greatest ever.

20. houtown

houtown Member

How does that make sense? Yao or Tmac never had proven championship experience before the fact. I think that situation was different.