1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "threw a fit" over losing Dragic, will leave after season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrdan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Gasp! You DON'T think it's a fabrication, do you? ;)

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

hey, the way it's going, in 5 years it may not be funny! :p
    10000 sports media outlets calling each other "sources", linking to each other, waiting for each other to add another sentence so they can over-analyze it.
    It will not be pretty.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Being on the same page with management is one thing but getting it done in the trenches is another.

If the guy can't put together an experienced staff that respects him, make in- game adjustments, or relate to the players (especially "star players") then he won't get the desired results. These are the concerns I have about an obvious hand-picked hire with very little experience in the NBA.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Didn't have a chance to watch the GBR-BRA game, but:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="230350708371779584" lang="de"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/zachlowe_si"><s>@</s><b>zachlowe_si</b></a> I have so much respect for the guy. All the X's and O's AND a great communicator. Will take over from McHale one day, book it.</p>&mdash; Mark Deeks (@MarkDeeksNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/230351038685798400" data-datetime="2012-07-31T17:15:41+00:00">Juli 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

As for what is Finch's extact role? I don't know. He does however always seem to be making notes after a possession. He might be 'charting' plays for half time adjustments and/or future games, make notes on missed assignments, defensive/offensive game plan ideas or whatever else he might think of.

Why we didn't run the corner offense last year? Well, we really didn't have the personal to run it. It makes no sense to run Adelman's offense without good passing bigs.

This is also one reason why Chuck was an essential piece in Houston, but not in Sacramento, who ran a completely different "offense", if you can even call it that.

I made this video of Adelman's corner offense some time ago. It's a collection of random clips of the various options, yet you might notice that the offense pretty much always went through Chuck or Brad Miller.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dwhaW2nVVcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I just wiki'd Finich because i was tired of being ignorant of his career and skeptical of his role on our coaching staff. Wow. This guy has seriously paid his dues. He must love basketball. And that one-year German league stint aside, saying he's been successful everywhere he's gone is an understatement. I totally get why so many folks think McHale is just keeping this guy's seat warm. Once we finish the rebuild, assuming McHale hasn't proved himself as one of the great coaching minds in the NBA, this guy has my full support to give it a go.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If this is true then it makes Morey's choice of McHale even more baffling. He had a choice between Finch & Dwayne Casey and somehow wound up with McHale? That simply does not compute. I'm inclined to believe that McHale's selection had more to do with Rockets' PR than anything else. From what I'm seeing of Finch at these Olympics, he is/was the perfect coach to handle the Rockets' rebuilding effort as McHale does not have the chops nor the inclination to nurture young players. This is yet another reason why I find myself scratching my head about this organization's thought processes.

8. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

The New York media has been trying to start up drama since Lin left.

9. ClKent

ClKent Member

Best of news. Not only if the Rockets lose do we get a high draft pick but possibly a better coach too. This has been a good day.

10. thedreamscheme

thedreamscheme New Member

I heard about this from a co-worker. I was so happy to find out the anti-west, anti-lin, basketball media known as New York is where this article came from. Sounds like a lot of jealousy to me.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They tried to get an elite big free agent because the ol' McHale would do wonders...
    Still folks do not want to play here.

12. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

Hahaha I'd be pissed too. We had arguable the best point guard duo in the nba. Ok probably not the best, but I'm saying top 5 for sure.

13. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

One of the most I'll-informed threads I've ever read, but it did make it hilarious to read. He chose mayo over rose... LOL, ever tried to google things before typing?

McHale pulled off a draft day trade that most people think is the best of this decade in the k-love for mayo deal. He dropped cap space and got the superstar in the process. He also left great contracts, cap space, and Pekovic in his wake in MN. McHale had more winning seasons in Minnesota than losing seasons, and had 8 straight years of playoff ball (only GM in Wolves history to take them there). So I don't know why he'd be used to losing, especially since he was a 3 time NBA champion.

If Morey could duplicate what McHale did in his rebuild of MN, I think most people here would be ecstatic. He got them assets, flexibility and a superstar in the process.

Say what you want about him as a coach, but I feel like people read a Chris Broussard article and determined that he was a disaster as a GM without having any real idea of the tangible things he did.

I can just see a bunch of high school varsity keyboard warriors getting worked up about what they perceive to be mchale's offense. I hate to be the one to tell you, but they ran variations of corner series, flat, and loop last year like every other team in the league (yes, every team runs similar sets), but when a play runs its course, some coaches make the natural flow of the offense turn in to a p&r. Running a p&r with 10 seconds on the shot clock doesn't make the play a bench call for the p&r. I saw the same misconception is year regarding "isolation" plays... It's only an iso play if someone gets the ball early in the SC and you spread the weak side with top of the key, free throw line extended, corner and mid to high post. We literally did not do that once this year.

I'll leave by saying that mchale's philosophy toward playing ball is one of letting the players play. He doesn't micromanage from the sideline and you'll rarely see him call plays. This does not mean he doesn't understand x's and o's as much as your 8th grade coach just because he doesn't demand his players to run his plays, but rather that he feels it is better for the players to work within a mold (floor spacing, ball movement, body movement) and develop a feel for playing with their teammates. This is how 80s basketball was... a more free game where the guys got up and down the court and played at a higher tempo. One thing that drove mchale nuts about lowry was his walking the ball up the court. Just watch a game and listen for how many times mchale says "go" to his 1, 2, or 3 when they get the ball in the backcourt.

If you didn't play at least college ball, I'd consider actually talking to someone who did before acting like you know what his offense, defense and basketball IQ are. McHale's biggest fans are his peers, and that tells me a lot more than what someone who is still butt hurt over JVG or RA being fired happens to think.

3 people like this.
  14. Outlier

Outlier Member

HadtodoitCF = one of the best posts here in a while. it's obvious you are knowledgeable about basketball. Heck, you might be McHale himself...

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Good job with the post.

I really think the biggest gripe about McHale is his personality. It drives a lot of us up the wall. Typical northerner though.

The one thing about his coaching that I don't like though is his lack of a blueprint on offense. If you are just gonna let guys play and figure it out, you gotta have great players. That works great when you've got sensational creators like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson running your team. But when you don't have that guy, then you gotta actually coach a system like Adelman does. Of course, McHale's philosophy is simply go out and get that great player. Easier said than done.

16. Aruba77

:confused: Minnesotans are midwesterners. are you refering to northeasterners? New Englanders?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

once you get north of waco it's all downhill.

1 person likes this.
  18. Aruba77

lovin' the in-state regional pride ;)

19. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

true.

20. dmoneybangbang

I would imagine it is due to Finch's lack of experience coaching at the NBA level.