1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale on the Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2therack, May 1, 2014.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

McHale should resign immediately if the Rox lose this series to save some face instead of getting fired.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, the last standing Mchale apologist

3. James88

James88 Member

So would you rather the Rockets to lose the 1st round and ditch McHael, or for them to win a round then lose and keep McHale?

Is McHale a bottom 10 coach? He really seems to do nothing. This offense is definitely designed by Morey. No way McHale came up with this analytically designed style. He sucks distributing rotations, doesn't seem to have any playcalls, and with the supposedly good defenders, like Dwight, Asik, Bev, the Rockets still manage to have crappy team defense.

4. James88

James88 Member

And Dragic, Lowry and Lin have all had their best year on other teams. These aren't good signs.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Carl is a lot of things, but he's never been known as a McHale apologist. He's just been following the Rockets for as long as anyone, and understands how the front office and ownership work.

I agree with Carl here obviously. They will sit down and look at their options at the end of the post season almost surely. His contract is up and Les is no stranger to firing coaches after 3 to 4 years, that had good regular season records that couldn't cut it when it mattered the most.

Firing McHale would be a wet dream for the fans, but that doesn't mean its going to be therapeutic for everyone. There will be tons of pros and cons that Morey and Les will way and ultimately they will do WHAT IS BEST FOR THE STARS TO BE PUT IN A POSITION TO MAXIMIZE THEIR ABILITIES.

If they feel like no other coach out there makes Harden and Howard better, there is a good reason to believe that McHale might actually be back.

However, I do expect there to be an addition to the coaching staff to make up for what is being lost with Sampson leaving the team.

Just keep this in mind folks- Morey and Les will weigh their options, but at the end of the day, they are going to make the best decision for Harden and Howard, not the fat fan streaming the Rockets off of an illegal website eating Pringles off of his belly.

(Its funny.... I've actually been blamed before for being a McHale apologist, and a Morey apologist (ehhemm... right before the Harden trade eeehheeeemmmm....), and I will tell you straight to your face that McHale might be one of the worst coaches in the league from a basketball strategist standpoint.... so keep that in mind.... But the reality is....there is a very good chance that McHale might still be back next year folks).

6. Stats

Stats Member

That is concerning...

7. andersongo

andersongo Member

COTY McSuccess should have been fired ages ago. It's incredible that he is still the Roxs' coach.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Either way if they win or lose this series I think he should get fired. This team need a better coach and can develop Harden.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's the Kubiak of basketball.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not even a glimmer of hope? ;):grin:

11. Aarackniid

Aarackniid Member

this.

12. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Will you guys shut up about Lowry and Dragic? They both had good years fighting for each others' spots under McHale, then left and had a mediocre season until they got it together again. Does anyone remember last year?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No McHale fan but this is False-

All three of these guys got the opportunity that they have now mostly because of their time with the Rockets and the improvement that they made with the Rockets, and under McHale & his system-

-Lin and Dragic made drastic improvements under McHale. This is BS. Dragic never gets the contract, and the opportunity to be the starter with Phoenix if McHale & the Rockets system doesn't showcase his talent in a system like this where he makes the improvements he made with the Rockets when Lowry went down.

-Lin was a far better PG last year than he was the year before with NY, and that's a fact. He might not have been draining game winning 3's over Kobe on national TV with the Rockets last year, but he was a far better well-rounded player & PG last year.

-Lowry was having a better year statistically in McHale's first year with the Rockets than he was the year before when he was an All-Star snub (10-11). He only had a down season when he came back only half-healthy and after losing his starting role to Dragic.

#33 dobro1229, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  14. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

I don't know I think that McHale is done even if we barely win the series and get swept or only win one game in the next round. To me, he should have motivated Harden harder earlier in series when he struggled on offense and played poorly on defense. McHale coaching goes much deeper than the playoffs in my opinion.

15. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

a couple bad games. sure. it's silly to blame the coach.

but 2 years of bad habits that have shown no signs of going away? yeah that's on the coach.

16. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I was not happy when we signed Milk Hair. I probably wasn't too happy after his first season either. But to take this team to one of the best records in franchise history in it's first year as a two star team and then to take a 4 seed team to (at least) game 6 after LOSING HIS MAIN ASSISTANT COACH with three weeks left to go in the season, I want Milk Hair to stay and be given the opportunity to coach again next season. He's really done as good as one can do given the circumstances.
    LET MILK HAIR STAY

17. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

Nachbar you're one of the few that actually want McHale to stay on the team. I would be fine with him staying with we can bring another assistant in to work with Harden and the team to light a fire under them. Mario Ellie needs to be brought in to drill Harden to play defense and he would be great for the overall toughness of our team.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan first and foremost. I want them to succeed. So no, I'm not rooting for them to lose tomorrow or Sunday just so McHale can get fired. I want them to win.

That being said, I'm also a realist. And bottom line is, McHale has shown for three years that he's not a very good coach. Particularly in April when the pressure builds on the players and coaching staff. His offensive playcalling is non-existent. His defense is porous. His in-game adjustments are pathetic. And he repeatedly failed to prepare the team this season when facing inferior opponents(in fairness, that plagued even the championship Rockets squads under Rudy T).

NBA teams that win titles in modern history(meaning the last 25-30 years) all had great coaches. Or really good coaches if you're not prepared to include Spoelstra or Rudy in that conversation. That's not a coincidence. I think it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to upgrade in that area this offseason just as it would be foolish to not improve in terms of personnel.

19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

It's one thing if you want to call me fat, but what I do in the privacy of my own home is my business...
    [​IMG]

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden shoots 25% and its Milk Hair's fault, mmmmkay