1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by do work son, Mar 16, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

We should have win 60?? Really? No one would have bet their lunch money they would win 60 this season. The team is over achieving, so anyone who feels this is disappointing is stuck thinking about the what ifs.

Adelman likely would not have played Hamilton or Dmo much. He probably wouldnt have given Jones much time either. We would have seen Casspi and Garcia the whole season.

2. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

Uh, Auschwitz aside, maybe what this young team needs is a good spanking. Adelman COULD be the guy for the job.

But I was a fan of the Kings for 10 years, so I'm biased.

3. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I really hope youre joking about Morey

4. calcium

calcium Member

You know, sometimes to answer a question, you could ask the anti-question.

If there was _no_ coach at all, would the Rockets play any worse?

For comparison, you could use a counter example such as what I think
    are well coached teams, eg the Bulls and the Spurs.

In my opinion, if there was no Thibs, I reckon the Bulls would not
    play as well as they are.

Similarly with Pops and the Spurs.

However, I am of the opinion that if there was no McHale, the
    Rockets would not play any worse.

Not that they would play better without him, just not much worse,
    if at all.

5. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I could just imagine Adelman. He would like Lin and leave him in regardless if he was playing terrible because he is loyal to his favorites and there would countless threads about him being fired. I like McHale. Not great, but not bad.

6. yummyhawtsauce

tbh i dont thikn mchale would be in the hotseat after only 3 losses - this is not the knicks we are talking about here nor the lakers situation. he has improved as a coach overall but there are some aspects he needs to work out, but I don't think he will be the coach to lead this team to a ring.

while I like jeremy - i feel last game, lin should have been pulled out or at the very least not go small ball. that wasnt working for rockets. i would have went harden/dwight/dmo/(lin or bev)/parsons. Dmo was guarding ray really well. bev didnt have a great game either, im a little surprised at the amount of shots he took...

it was a game where harden should have had the ball more. oh well you win some and you lose some.

7. Neped

Neped Member

Sometimes I think he's a spectator on the bench then a coach. He's doesn't ever have any plays in crunch time. And shaking your head when the team does bad wont cut it.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Yea, the same way he refused to play AB, Lowry & Landry:rolleyes:

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's done a good job, but I think we could do better.

10. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Adelman's superior to Mchale in every aspect. One of Morey's biggest mistakes was pushing Adelman out. The second mistake was standing pat this trade deadline and not signing any veterans to strengthen our bench. Jordan Hamilton is a nice project, but won't be a factor against the elite teams in the postseason. In meantime, the Clippers and the Thunder got better. Good job Morey

11. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Dang, someone likes Rachel.

12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

If Rick Adelman was still here we would probably still have Kevin Martin. McHale is one of the main reasons why Dwight even came here. The atmosphere of this rockets team is a lot more loose than the JVG and Adelman days. Wouldnt you like to work for a boss who you can joke with or a dictator?

This is a young team, we are going through growing pains. McHale has done a fine job this season. You think Lawrance Frank or Dwayne Casey could do better?

13. Houston288South

Doesn't Kevin McHale's coaching contract expire at the end of the year?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

McHale's lack of attention to detail will ultimately sink this team - he is a decent leader, but not a good coach.

If you want to be a players coach, you still need to pay attention and help the team ala Rudy T.

McHale is just not that guy, he lacks that skillset.

DD

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Such a new fresh idea for this thread. I haven't seen ANYTHING like it before in the GARM....

(http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=218754)

So is McHale on the hot seat??... yes of course, every coach in professional sports is on the hot seat every waking moment.... that is pro sports, and its always the coaches fault in the eyes of the fans. Its easy to change the coach, its difficult to change the overall makeup or the roster, and owners and GM's aren't just going to fire themselves.

Is McHale a great coach... probably not. Can they succeed with him... Yes.

However....

-Do the players respond to him... Yes for the most part.
    -Does the system employed highlight the attribute of the best players on the team..... Yes for the most part when used correctly by the players.
    -Do the players respect and look up to him... Yes.
    -Do his mistakes (that are DIRECTLY related to him) really cost the games on those 1 or 2 controversial moves a game DIRECTLY related to him (maybe going small or playing Jeremy Lin too many minutes when he's in turnover mode).... No

Does McHale deserve to be fired.... NO
    Will their potentially be better replacements or upgrades in the offseason.... potentially, but there is a risk to replacing the coach that needs to be considered beforehand.

However, yes, even though Morey & Les will NEVER publicly admit it, they will be evaluating as to whether keep him or not this off-season.

16. BonziWellsGOAT

Stupid thread is stupid.

/thread

17. dobro1229

I believe there is a team option on it, but yes they can part ways this Summer I believe. Coaching contracts aren't made nearly as public as player contracts. However Feigan did report when he was signed at the time that he was given nearly the exact same contract that Adelman had before him which gave him nearly the same dollar amount, and length.

Long story short... yes, the front office will evaluate keeping & extending him this Summer or looking to upgrade... which would almost certainly happen this Summer and not next.

18. dobro1229

Yes it is stupid. What if I'm not even into blondes?

19. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Only way he would get canned is if Houston is bounced in the first round in the playoffs. Even then, I doubt he gets fired.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Are you talking about the same Rick Adelman that Clutchfans wanted fired when he coached the Rockets?