1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The point is that if he did say that he'd prefer his leadoff hitter to focus more on on-base percentage for the good of the team (which is a strategic thing and a manager has every right to express such an opinion), it doesn't mean he's accusing Hamilton of being selfish.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

BleedReds account has been hacked by LOFs. Only explanation.

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Wait what are you babbling about? Is it the context or the quote is fake? Look if you have nothing new to add which 100s of your likeminded brethrens have said, dont post. You will get the same answer back from me.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Don't try reasoning with him. He is convinced either that McHale does not know how to win games, or McHale would rather be mean to Jeremy Lin than win games. Why McHale would have this desire to be mean at the expense of winning games I do not know. The other possibility is that McHale sucks as a coach and would win more games if only he took coaching advice from BleedRed. This is the logic of the self-admitted LOF BleedRed, who called the rest of us in this thread "neanderthals."

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Any idiot could lead a supremely talented team past the 2nd round, in fact OKC have just such an idiot.

I think Jackson said it best, x's and o's are great, but you can hire somebody else to do that.

Mchale's rotations are fine, especially given the unfamiliarity with the roster (it's not like he has a core that has been here the better part of a decade), but most importantly, he connects with the players, and as a team becomes better and adds more talent, that becomes more and more important.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

140 posts of ridiculous paranoia beg to differ.

7. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

That's because you rather the player put a good swing at it instead of trying stay in the zone for a long time and get a weak ground-out or pop up where you'll end up as an out anyway. Strike outs has a poor correlation with run scores.

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

lol its 140 posts because people like you come and spew the same excuses and explanation for McHale's quote over and over again. Nothing original.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he was a leadoff hitter, his .285 average would get him sent to AAA. He's not a leadoff hitter though so his .930 OPS is enough for his manager to not complain. Lin is a leadoff hitter, his coach is asking him to be a more disciplined at the plate, that is all this is.

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

nice to discuss (or argue, whatever you prefer) with some long time posters. i am done with this thread.

peace. but i will jump on other threads for sure. better prepared. :grin::grin::grin:

11. durvasa

McHale isn't asking Lin to bunt every play. The player has to use his judgment on when to "go for the homerun" versus "go for a single/double", and he has to react to the game situation and the way the defense is playing. Its a complicated task, much more so in basketball than baseball probably, and its something young players struggle with. McHale sees this as something Lin needs to work on but that he is improving. Just because Lin still hasn't figured it out totally, that doesn't mean he's selfish. Again, YOU are adding that interpretation because you have your agenda to make this into a "McHale hates Lin" drama. Reality doesn't fit your narrative, I'm afraid.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No, I'm not. I couldn't careless about McHale or whatever coach we have personally. I have no vested interest in anything other then Rockets wins. Players like him and he's overachieving with the roster presented to him. Harden is an amazing player but one star can't do it all by themselves. Look at Cleveland. We've got Harden, a good defensive center with no offense and three role players starting. You expected to be competing for a ring? If I'm to use your criticism of McHale I'd ask you what has Lin done this year in Houston? McHale has certainly done a better job of coaching then Lin has done at playing PG

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So what you're saying is.... anyone that hits .285 needs to be demoted a level?

14. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

You do realize that you just made all this up, dont you? McHale said Lin is a home run hitter who would rather bust out Linsanity (note his 9TOs reference) than do what his team needs to win. Spin all you want.

15. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I am not here defending Lin, I personally think he has been mediocre at best. But no reason to call him out publicly this way. And if you think the quote is not damning in whatever context, no point going back and forth with you.

16. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

People here have said that since Lin had got a big contract, he should be held to higher standards. And yet Harden has got a max contract, should he be held to max standards and accountability.

What do you say?

17. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

well Harden is delivering like a max level player and then some...

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, and honestly it's a bad comparison because Hamilton has a pretty good OBP. What I'm saying is that if you are a guy like B.J. Upton who has a .246 average and a .298 OBP AND you were a leadoff hitter, you'd be sent to the minors. Of course he's not a leadoff hitter, so they overlook his poor numbers. In this instance the Rockets have asked the free swinging Lin to concentrate on contact and discipline to get his OBP up because they need him as a leadoff hitter. His natural state is to swing for the fences so he sometimes reverts back to that and the coach reminds him that isn't what they need from him. Understand now?

19. durvasa

I'm not making anything up. You on the other hand, have made up the "fact" that McHale was calling Lin selfish.

I'll quote him again, for your benefit and the benefit of others who may be misled by you and your false interpretations of what he actually meant:

[rquoter]
    “I think there is a misconception just because there is a movie about his life and everything else,” Rockets coach Kevin McHale said. “He’s started less than 80 games. He is a rookie player in a lot of senses. Is he going to (be) up and down? Of course he’s going to be up and down. All young guys are. That’s the thing a lot of people forget. I think it’s frustrating for him at times, too. They expect him to be a finished product. He’s not. He’s learning the NBA game."

"Decision making, moving the ball, playing with the ball, cutting without the ball, playing without the ball,” McHale said. “He’s got a lot of room to grow. Defensively, just being disciplined. There’s a lot of stuff. But you know what? They are all the stuff I would tell you all the young guys are doing. There’s no difference. He’s a young guy.

“He’s very typical of a young player. All the things you would think (would happen) are happening.”

“He’s doing better defensively,” McHale said. “He has a way more concerted effort at keeping people in front of him. He’s throwing the ball ahead. He’s making simpler, easier plays on the offense end, not looking for home runs.

Jeremy, by nature, is a home run hitter. Home run hitters strike out a lot. When you have the ball in your hand and you’re the point guard, you’re better off being a leadoff guy who gets a lot of walks and gets some singles and doubles. How many home run hitters are point guards in our league? Very few. But by nature, that’s who he is. But he’s a young kid, and he’s improving all the time.”[/rquoter]

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, Upton primarily hit 2nd last year.