1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we should just give it up, they refuse to see logic and reason, they aren't ever going to change no matter how well you spell it out to them.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is only one source for this quote.

You don't think something so apparently damning would be reported across all major media outlets? ESPN? NBA.com? That happened when Melo spoke about Lin's contract.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This thread shouldn't continue, the context has already been explained and ignored by those who wish to believe the Lin fan fiction. There is nothing more that anyone could possibly add to the conversation that would change anything because those who are offended have chosen to be willfully ignorant.

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Wow 126 posts, that's 35% of all your post into your thread. You sure are dedicated to repeating the same crap over and over again to make your point. I'm actually impressed you haven't quit lol

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

It's instances like these that make me question if McHale is good enough for the talents we have on this team.

6. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

OOOOOKKK you are just as blind a McHale fan as we are Lin fans. What has McHale done in his career to be considered a good coach? This year he has Harden putting up phenomenal numbers and we are still barely holding onto the 8th seed. So stop the better than thou attitude. Worked up? I havent resorted to name calling and calling for my ban. Apparently others are more worked up over it than I am.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm looking at the totality of his comments and forming an opinion from them on what he believes, while you're selectively picking out one line.

And you are also trying to "read his mind" through your narrow interpretation. I asked you earlier whether you believe a literal interpretation is always the most accurate, and I believe you said you couldn't even imagine a context for those words. I have just provided that context:

- McHale believes Lin is by nature a "home-run hitter", which is not uncommon for young players
    - He prefers his PG to go more for high-based percentage, singles and doubles
    - McHale thinks Lin is improving, but has a ways to go.

This NY Daily quote is just a shortened version of the critique he made earlier with the baseball analogy -- a player who goes for high point totals but with turnovers is analogous to a home-run hitter who tries to accumulate a ton of runs scored but with high strikeout totals.

You have been accusing McHale of claiming that Lin of not caring about winning. But you fail to realize this is your interpretation, not his words. I might tell a high-strike slugger who's a leadoff hitter that even though he's more comfortable going for home-runs he should lay off and play more conservatively because that will be better for the team. It doesn't mean I'm accusing the guy of being selfish or put himself ahead of winning. Maybe that hitter thinks going for the home runs is ultimately better for the team despite the strikeouts. Similarly, maybe Lin thinks that the way he's most comfortable playing is how he needs to play to win games. A coach can disagree with a player on how he should play without thinking the player is selfish.

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

well at least I got one guy to admit its a damning quote....

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

No one cares about the rockets. That's why. (kidding obviously, I don't know why)

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I dare say it but looks that way.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I like Lin and want him to succeed as a Rocket. And when I mean succeed, I mean him being a part of a successful playoff team and contend for championship. In that regard he is just like any other Rocket player to me. I am not afraid to point out his limitations and what he needs to do to improve.

What makes it hard to root for Lin at times are his fans though.

They are like cockroaches. A great many of them who invade and live in your house but don't care for it, come out of in great numbers from nowhere and everywhere, and annoy the living crap out of you.

12. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

McHale just has no clues how to bring out the best from his players.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I did not say the quote was damning, you should slow down and actually read the post before replying.

I said something so "apparently damning".

14. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Pretty sure BleedRed is trolling at this point

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I've never been attacked by a swarm of cockroaches, just one at a time. Guess I'm lucky

16. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

And with the same standards?

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You said there was another source? What the hell are you babbling about? Do you know how to have a dicussion and prove a point?

The same thing you have been arguing about for 150 posts or w.e involves people saying this is the only source. Then you say it was confirmed else where.

Then you think your point is proven that this questionable source is a quote?

A quote can be indirect, direct, taken completely out of context, raped repeatedly- and dressed like a hooker on 5th street.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure he's been doing it for hours, to his credit, he's doing a good job of trolling because it keeps drawing people in even though it's ridiculous at this point.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

josh hamilton is a home run hitter with tons of strikeouts. i haven't heard his manager publically critisized him that he rather hit 40 home runs than winning.

20. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I am just struggling to find any context that would make this quote less damning. Anyway, a hitter who goes for homeruns rather than bunt when the team asks a bunt by default is a selfish player. Whether he truly believes a homerun is better for the team is irrelevant. Having said that, McHale clearly indicated Lin would rather go for the HR (29 points 9TO) over team needs which is not any different than what your context provided except more specific example. I am not sure there is any room for too much interpretation there. I am not making stuff up here.