1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I spent a half hour reading the entire twitter conversation and there is nothing in it to tie Jason's tweet to the Daily Rag quote. Sorry.

2. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Nothing but good recently. He said Parker deserves to be in MVP conversations..

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

He tweeted what I copied and pasted and it has been confirmed by other members here. Copy paste here. Time around 12:32pm today, just accept the quote happened and move on.

Jason Friedman
    @JasonCFriedman

@foogaga_knicks @IdoAmir To sum up: That snippet was taken from pregame intvw in which McHale RAVED about Jeremy. Said he couldn't be

12:32 PM - 25 Feb 13

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

What the hell do Parker and Pop have to do with Mchale and Lin?

5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Melo has been known throughout his career as being both selfish and a good offensive rebounder. Guess how he gets his offensive rebounds? He grabs it, then puts it back up, then grabs it, then puts it back up. This is what happens with a lot of offensive rebounds. Offensive rebounding leads to easy putbacks and opportunities for whoever got the rebound. Do you not understand that?

6. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I like Harden, Parsons, Asik and Ppat... also, but Lin is like the lightning rod of the team and attracts all the unwarranted and unreasonable attacks almost every game at the end of the game thread.

7. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

And has Lin ever had 9 turnovers in any game this season?

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I think this is as honest a post as you would get from an objective Rockets fan. Agreed 100%. McHale does not have a high opinion of Lin and the coach has the right to. To think otherwise and that people aka LOFs are being too sensitive about this fact is just being willfully blind.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

If McHale and Lin have an agreement like you assumed, then it is still wrong for him to say that kind of things to the public. He should have kept it between them.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but what you fail to realize is that both can be true. McHale can not have a high opinion of what Lin can do right now AND it can also be true that Lin fans are being too sensitive about it. See how that would be a possibility as well? Of course not, who am I kidding LOL.

11. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Now that is completely irrelevant to what Beverly is doing. Dude no one will call a tiny little PG fighting for rebounds with the bigs, selfish. Foolish yes, selfish definitely no. End of story. I am not being selective with how I see selfish, you just came up with the wrong example.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Article from a couple weeks back sheds more light on what McHale thinks about his PG:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/02/lin-back-in-bay-area-for-first-time-since-linsanity/

[rquoter]
    SAN FRANCISCO — As Jeremy Lin wiped away the sweat after a workout — with family and friends waiting and Northern California offering welcome-home temperatures in the mid-60s — it hit him that he had never been back home for a game since the whirlwind began.

There have been games that measure up to last season’s mania, even mere moments within otherwise solid games — such as Sunday’s blocked shot, rebound, full-court drive and slam against Sacramento — that remind of Lin’s sublime run through last February. But high scoring and highlights are no longer the point.

“I think there is a misconception just because there is a movie about his life and everything else,” Rockets coach Kevin McHale said. “He’s started less than 80 games. He is a rookie player in a lot of senses. Is he going to (be) up and down? Of course he’s going to be up and down. All young guys are. That’s the thing a lot of people forget. I think it’s frustrating for him at times, too. They expect him to be a finished product. He’s not. He’s learning the NBA game.

“He just happened to catch an unbelievable run in a major market, in New York, and it actually became a story that was bigger than he was. That’s hard. It’s a lot easier to go out and play this game when the expectation level for you is realistic, not Linsanity.”

Youth still shows

McHale said he has seen signs of improvement in a variety of areas but did not hesitate to produce a list of ways in which he believes Lin needs to grow.

“Decision making, moving the ball, playing with the ball, cutting without the ball, playing without the ball,” McHale said. “He’s got a lot of room to grow. Defensively, just being disciplined. There’s a lot of stuff. But you know what? They are all the stuff I would tell you all the young guys are doing. There’s no difference. He’s a young guy.

“He’s very typical of a young player. All the things you would think (would happen) are happening.”

Lin can still get to the rim as he did last season, but he has been better leading a break and as a halfcourt playmaker than the Rockets might have expected. In the past two weeks, his assists have increased, his turnovers have decreased, and he has remained among the league leaders in steals.

By being in control more, he has been able to be more consistent, moving toward McHale’s long-term goal for him.

“He’s doing better defensively,” McHale said. “He has a way more concerted effort at keeping people in front of him. He’s throwing the ball ahead. He’s making simpler, easier plays on the offense end, not looking for home runs.

“Jeremy, by nature, is a home run hitter. Home run hitters strike out a lot. When you have the ball in your hand and you’re the point guard, you’re better off being a leadoff guy who gets a lot of walks and gets some singles and doubles. How many home run hitters are point guards in our league? Very few. But by nature, that’s who he is. But he’s a young kid, and he’s improving all the time.”

[/rquoter]

The last quote, in particular, is what McHale really meant. The way it came out in front of the NY media was inelegant, no doubt, but if you want to understand where he's really coming from then that last quote should explain it.

13. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Maybe in the past when there was less clarity on how McHale felt about Lin but not after this quote, at least not for me. You can defend him all you want by spinning what he meant, but it is clear as day. He has the right to not want to hype Lin up because he doesnt believe in it, but just be PC about it. In private he can say whatever he wants.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

YOU HAVE 119 POSTS IN THIS THREAD. Out of like 350 total posts in your history? You are a troll.

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it can also be true that pre-2012ers are being too sensitive about the critics on mchale.

mchale and lin both are new to their roles. they are learning and improving. getting critics from whoever is not big deal but questioning a person's heart is bad.

16. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

u mad?

17. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

What's so wrong with having 2 dynamite wings?

It'll take the pressure off of Harden to not have to do it every game and they can play off of each other. The whole team could feed off of those two.

And oh, isn't James Harden a dead eye spot up shooter? You're telling me it's unfathomable to allow Lin to play his game and find Harden for wide open 3s?

Come on, McHale!

18. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

You think Lin is as frustrated you guys are? Imagine the locker room...

[youtube]yq93Slb_RaY[/youtube]

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Who questioned anyone's heart?

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

When it comes to actual coaching I have no problems with it like his substitution patterns leaves me wondering at times. But when it comes to conspiracy theories about Lin and all that, it's all junk.