1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

This is another way of interpreting it, but not the only way. I guess this is what McHale intended to say, but he said something opens for other interpretations that can lead to insulting to Lin's willingness to win.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i can't imagine any context will change what he tried to say per his words unless he was sarcastic.

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Finally, at least one apologist is agreeing this quote as it stands, is offensive.

Anyway, context matters but for a quote like that, I just find it really hard to come up with a context where it still does not end up calling Lin a selfish player.

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

But that last part is clearly, and I mean clearly, a sarcastic remark in my eyes. For ANYONE, but especially McHale who always make sly comments like that.

I guess we just see things differently.

5. trock

trock Member

Now you're just being intentionally dense. Everyone agrees getting 9 TOs isn't the best way to win. What some people are taking exception to is McHale saying that Lin would rather 29pts 9TOs to winning.

6. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

Bottom line is Mchale thinks lin is a role player.
    Not someone who should make plays down the stretch.
    There is nothing wrong with this. Alot of other coaches and gms think the same thats why he didnt get many offers.

7. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

You are exactly demonstrating what I commented in my previous post. By implying that BleedRed are sort of crazy type that nobody should pay attention to, you are making a personal attack in stead of counter-arguing what he says in his posts.

By your own logic, can I assume you are also the type of crazy guy that are just screaming here? As I said before, when you start to make personal attack without any evidence, you are already losing the debate.

8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I think McHale is trying to say that Lin thought it was ok to get many TOs (9 TOs) as long as he makes it up in points (29 points), but he told him that is not going to help us win the game. It is just the way he said it can lead to other interpretations.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i wish mchale should consult with you before he opens his mouth.:grin:

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

seems like mchale and lin have vastly different point of views on which jeremy lin can help the rockets win games.

i'm sure they've both talked about this between themselves.

jeremy believes that he can best contribute to the team and help win games by being aggressive and take some risks. we see this mentality both on offense AND defense. he's got a bit of a riverboat gambler in him. he believe that when he's in a flow and being aggressive, he can help the team win games.

mchale believes that a conservative jeremy that makes the easy passes and takes the easy shots when it's there is the one that can help win games.

i'm sure there are valid arguments for both BUT i'll have to say that the conservative jeremy is not the one you should be paying 8mil/yr for. you can get that kind of production from ramon sessions.

12. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Nothing groundbreaking about that. Thousands of new posters joined so you can expect more activity from them. And this thread is about a comment the coach made about a SINGLE player.
    What does focusing on the whole team have to do with this thread in particular?:confused:

You are awesome.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, what he's saying is that he'd rather have the role of a "home run hitter" sometimes than the role of a "singles and doubles hitter" and McHale believes that Lin in that second role is the best way to win. Again, context matters. It's not the first time he's made statements like this. Choose to be upset if you like, but there is no rational excuse for it.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The quote is:

Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,’ ” McHale said.

That first word matters. If he was actually questioning Lin's character or accusing him of being a selfish player (which is ludicrous for anyone to actually believe McHale looks at Lin in that way), then he wouldn't need to preface it with "sometimes".

The word "sometimes" here means that some of the time he plays in a certain way that he, as the COACH of the team, believes is not conducive to winning basketball. Him using the words "he'd rather" was a poor choice, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense to think it was just a poorly worded shorthand for "he has a tendency to play in a certain way" and not "he cares more about his numbers than the team."

15. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Best way to win? where did that come from? He never said Lin needs to reduce his points and TOs for us to win. What he said is Lin would RATHER score 29 points than reduce TOs. Those are his exact words. Really Lin would rather pad up his numbers at the expensive of TOs? Dude actually gives up way more TOs when he is trying to make a pass.

16. trock

trock Member

I'm not upset. I just think it was a stupid thing to say. I'm just dealing with the reported quote. You're the one bending over backwards to try to explain what McHale meant rather than what he said. It was over the top. Very simple if you look at it face value.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Ok, so can we get some things clear.

The source of the problem you guys have with what McHale said is just the last part of the quote?

The "I tell him 'we wanna win'" part?

Because if that's the problem, no real point in arguing. It's clearly sarcasm to me but there's no way of convincing you of that without you hearing his voice or seeing a video.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

I never said it wasn't.
    Frankly its not supposed to be easy to guess what else he could mean, duh. If it was there would be no arguments. Quotes taken out of context are skewed to portray one side of the picture. At face value they're hard to justify. They're usually used to incite controversy, and the context is hard to guess if you don't know it. Happens all the time, go look up some examples.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And I still have not found any mention of Friedman confirming that McHale quote.