1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'm cool with that but he needs to tell that to Delfino as well, unless his Mama named him James Harden, no one on this team should be taking that many shots and not have them fall and expect their minutes to remain the same.

2. M4-Nightvision

the okc game Lin was 12 of 22.

3. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Is there any other coach in this league who tells his PG not to be aggressive and not to score??

4. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Regardless whether the quote is taken out of context or not, he could have at least used real data, and not over-exaggerated data to speak his point.

The over-exaggeration is going to be taken out of context no matter how hard you try to put context into it.

It's a big fail in PR for McHale that's for sure. I don't believe he is out there to screw Lin at all. But he should have known better than to over-exaggerate his context, not to mention it was for NYD, and not to mention it was about Lin. He definitely made a mistake there.

Now everyone is going to start quoting McHale whenever he benches Lin despite it being a good decision or not.

I personally believe Lin can score 29 points and be the guy McHale believes he could be at the same time. And for Christ sake, we even beat the Thunder when they were rested and hot when he did that!

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketblood713

I guess it depends on the situation dont you think ...

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm sure it has a great deal to do with Lin's awful turnovers.

How many more times do I have to watch him drive into the lane, pretend like he's going to shoot and then throw it into the hands of the opposing team?

However, it does seem like he's been a little too concerned about his own scoring the last couple of games, when everyone knows that creating his own shot hasn't been his strength this year.

7. Karolik

Karolik Member

If its winning us games, who the heck cares.

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

one thing i hate about lin is when he jumps in the air to pass but there is no one to pass to and a TO results...i'm just glad it has gone down during the course of the season, but it did happen in the wiz game.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

He said 9 TOs just to make a point, he was exaggerating. I don't see why we would trade Lin just to make him better (he's still playing great here) for another team, or fire Mchale just because of one player. Mchale isn't going to be fired and Lin isn't going to be traded. Deal with it.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And why have we only had 2 losses when Lin scored 20+ points? Because it means that Harden is getting the scoring support he needs for the Rockets to win games. One more elite scorer (who does not require the ball constantly in his hands) and the Rockets will be competing for a title. Hope springs eternal. D-Mo are you there?

11. cw3k

cw3k Member

You improve a player by allow him to figure out what he strength and weakness is. You don't dictate what his strength should be. This is not the how people developer.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Lin is not nearly good enough to get a coach fired. Is it so serious that you'd actually like to see Lin traded? I mean, you like Lin more than you like the Rockets.

13. hltiki

hltiki Member

I can't wait for the 2 games against phoenix... this board will be more entertaining than the games themselves!

But tbh, with all this drama, it does make the GARM very fun to read. Yes, it dumbs down the brain the same way reality television does, but who are we kidding? We love the drama!

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Since Harden is obviously the super star, Lin needs to do anything and everything to fit in with Harden. I would think that asking Lin to hit 37% of his spot up 3 pointers would be such a small ask. Heck, if Jason Kidd could do it, you would think it would be a breeze for Lin.

Players develop what they practice. Having played sports at a relatively high level in my younger days, athletes learn about themselves and their skill development during competition. Then back to practice.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, this thread does kind of spell out why there is a rift between Rockets fans and Lin fans. Rockets fans don't care if Lin scores 2 points all game long so long as the team is winning, Lin fans would prefer him to score 29 points a game even if the Rockets lose.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That doesn't matter because Lin is nowhere near the player Harden is. He is the one that needs to adapt. Mario Chalmers doesn't dictate the way Lebron and Wade need to play.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fair enough.

Nice post.

Put me down as someone who agrees with you. The most obvious comparison to Lin is Parker. And I think Jeremy likes to improve internally within himself, all because he is a quality athlete and hard worker.

GO JEREMY LIN!!!

18. dantian

dantian Member

I agree with you that Lin is still very raw. But what's your reason for the assessment that Lin never be as good as Nash/Kidd (maybe Parker)? Coming over as a long-time Suns fan, I can tell you Nash was far less developed at similar stage of career back then. After 7 years in the league, Mark Cuban refused to give him a long-term deal worth about 10 mil a year, which drove him back Phx. Nash had only shooting touch a lot better than Lin, and passing skill slightly better, then. But he had to steadily improve his handles to become the star he has been the last 10 years. And his D, and finishing layups under contact, has never been Lin's current level. We all agree that Lin has a high motor and is a hard and smart worker, just like Nash. So, I'd only make your judgment when I clearly see Lin lagging behind on the learning curve compared to Nash, for a season or two.

19. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Really? You as a Rocket fan doesn't care if Lin only scored 2 points as long we are winning?

20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yeah, Rockets fans care about winning, doesn't matter if Lin scores 40 points or if harden scores 40 points. We are fans of the team, not of one specific player (although there are fan favorites). In the end all that matters is the W.