1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Why haven't you called out all the LOFs in this thread who want McHale fired?

2. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Your guys problem is you didn't mention stuff like this: McHale on Lin: "Jeremy's becoming a better pt gd all the time. I couldn't be happier with him."

Or Jeremy saying McHale is more than a coach to him. Or Jeremy saying he loves that McHale cares about the pays he gets to run and asks him. What he's comfortable.

"But it just seemed too good to be true. Like, the coach actually cared about what plays I enjoy running, or that the coach would text me on a day off to see how I was feeling. That type of stuff was too good to be true."- Lin.

Stop pushing a bs narrative. Look at both sides, yes McHale critiques him but he also really cares about putting him in the best position to succeed.

1 person likes this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

There's going to be bunch of turnovers coming when the style of play is run and gun. How many times can you take beat the same person off the dribble??

4. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Can you tell me where coach said this? I know that Sampson has talked about Harden's improved defense (ultimate rockets/jonathan feigen).

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We have a lot of young players and young players make mistakes; but if McHale continues to leash them we won't get their best.

Let Lin be aggressive. Give him too much direction and he'll overthink the game.

Hell, you know TRob won't see the floor this year. Another player whose aggression will earn him the pine. Kid can beast. I'd rather he be out there and learn than have 30 some-odd more games of our Argentine at the 4.

1 person likes this.
  6. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

The post I made "defending" McHale is pretty clear about how I feel. Why get into personal 1-on-1 back-and-forths with people?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. Overall, it is a weird comment. But I doubt Lin and Coach are truly at odds. It seems unlikely, given their personalities. Maybe Coach is just annoyed at all the Lin-centric questions he must get after every game.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think morey/les would give him until next year's trade deadline before changing direction (unless a superstar PG were to become available of course).

but as far as mchale goes, i truly believe this summer they will consider whether to keep him on. let's not forget that when he was signed most of us thought he was brought in here to facilitate tanking. and whether you think he is a good coach, has done a great job this year, is improving, etc -- what he shows in the playoffs is all that will matter this summer. with the pieces we have now, the front office will surely look to have a championship-level coach on the bench even if that means replacing mchale.

9. Anxiety Trooper

12 pages in 2 hours. LOFs are an interesting fan base.

10. nono

nono Member

I would rather have a coach tell a player he is doing wrong rather than not. Lin is a hard working, high character guy. He can take the criticism. If in any job you can't stand being told you are doing things wrong, you should just quit.

I don't understand why you are getting so worked up over a NY Post article of all things. McHale exaggerated just to make a point. You can not have your point guard turning it over so much.

11. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

It is not because Popovich, an acerbic Air Force veteran, has not had his less amicable moments with Duncan.

“I probably get on him more than I get on, say, Gary Neal,” Popovich said, referring to a Spurs reserve guard. “ ‘Timmy, you getting a rebound tonight or are we just going to leave and go to dinner?’ He’ll look at me say, ‘Hey, I’m trying,’ but he can be criticized. He’s not embarrassed to be called out in front of the team.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/s...h-work-well-together.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

12. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

NY Daily News is trashy on par with National Inquirer. They also love to bash Lin since he left. So I agree with you McHale may or may not have said it or said it in the way it is quoted.

Everyone, please cool off. If anything, let's have some fun trashing NYDN.

I think Houston Chronicle is far superior journalistically and has much better and trustworthy reads than NYDN has ever had or ever will have.

13. Arthurprescott2

This is very likely.

14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

He is clearly much better than he was when he arrived. I've a feeling with clearing the logjam at PF he's going to be looking way better than he did earlier in the season. He'll be able to use parts of his game he couldn't before.

I think Harden will be better too. This team is going to be scary good, maybe in time for playoffs.

15. OpportunityCost

I would like McHale replaced the same way I wanted JVG and this tyrannical coaching style and basic dump the ball to Yao and Tracy and get out of the way simpleton offense replaced(also I credit the defensive prowess at that time to then assistant coach Tom Thibodeau). We need a better coach and it has nothing to do with Jeremy from my perspective. It's his lack of offensive sets and poor substitution patterns. Fortunately now that Morey forced his had via trade he won't be able to play Cole over Smith, Douglas over Beverly or Morris over D-Mo. Dude has to go because he's an impediment to the WHOLE team's success, not just one player.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What I recall was a loss within the last 10 games. Coach didn't mention Harden or anyone by name, but he said we lost the game because we were driving into traffic too much. I read that in the context of the game to be a comment about Harden.

Which is true, Harden drives into traffic a lot...just like Ginobody.

17. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

That was dantoni he was referring to. Not Mchale.

18. OpportunityCost

*hand

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Playoffs are a different animal. Lin is still an unknown and he is the team's starting PG.

If Lin does not handle that pressure well, and the Rockets are serious about building a championship contender, you bet they will consider trading him.

Carr..I mean cry on.

#239 Zboy, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  20. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

I have to agree with you, it's just wrong if McHale really said that.