1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale: Lawson not guaranteed starting spot [Chron]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Sep 16, 2015.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I wish the coaches were in competition to see who gets the starting spot, I think Ty knows his job a lot better than Mchale knows how to coach.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

i think he has had more efficient seasons shooting the ball and played better defensively, im pretty sure it was when denver was decent which could mean he will play better on our h town squad...but im no ty lawson expert just a man who has an eye for male athletes...especially ones as chiseled and athletic as ty;)

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, still not believing Ty comes off the bench. Okay, he has to earn his spot. He will. I actually don't think there is any wrong answer here. We'll do great with him starting or with him coming off the bench. But, if he gives the more effective player the starting nod, it'll by Lawson.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Doesn't matter as long as Ty gets the bulk of the minutes, IMO. I'd be cool with Bev getting 18-20, tbh.

5. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot going on here.

On one hand McHale is showing respect to Beverley. Patrick plays very hard and has surprised with his effectiveness in the past.

Also the league is not as set in it's ways as it has been in the past. The Rockets are going to want to have either Lawson or Harden on the floor for 45 minutes a night. They can do that different ways. One possibility is to have Harden start with Lawson coming into the game at the 4-5 minute mark and have Lawson stay in when Harden sits.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Pretty blunt talk by McHale. Gotta respect that. BTW, I've been saying since the Lawson acquisition that it's not the worst idea in the world to have him as the 6th man. We already have a ball-dominant playmaker in the starting lineup with Harden. And with Smith gone, we have no playmakers off the bench if Lawson and Harden are starting. Obviously McHale can set up the rotation so that at least one of them is on the floor at all times, but I wouldn't be surprised if the team is more consistent offensively with Bev as the starter and Lawson as the backup.

7. dragician

dragician Member

I heard Ty is disappointed with this news. He went to Flying Saucer last night.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Exactly. Nothing wrong with giving Patrick respect or gently telling Ty not to slack off. A good deal of coaching is just simply managing people and respecting them. This is especially true when you have a loaded contender like we do.

9. NotChandlerParsons

I truly don't care and don't think it will matter much either way.

10. Milos

Milos Member

Yep
    Carrot on a stick

If James, JET & Bev can effectively 'take the keys' after hours, Ty will be the starter in the playoffs

If not, good to see Coach remind him that this could very well be his last chance to earn another big contract, and that gets much harder coming off the bench with nothing guaranteed next year

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not really surprising.

The starting unit doesn't need Lawson very much as his skill set is better performed by Harden. A defensive ace in Beverley is a better use of resources there.

Lawsons real value is when Harden is off the floor which was our major area of weakness last season.

12. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Bev earned his spot and has been a Rocket for a few years now. It's only right that the new guy has to earn it as well.

But we all know that Lawson will win the spot.
    Let's all be happy that we still got Bev to form a nice PG combo

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

another real weakness is the lack of another capable ball handler and creator when the defense is so heavily focused on harden. and it's an added plus that lawson is also a capable scorer.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not really.

Harden was able to handle the pressure fairly well and still create open shots. There were instances where it happened but it was hardly a game in and game out occurrence like the bench issue was.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess we disagree because I saw this from the beginning and that it would become a problem by playoff time and it did. The good teams load up on Harden especially in a playoff series. the biggest problem is everything harden had to do throughout an entire game. it's not just when he goes to the bench. Even then he's not on the bench for very long anyway. It's not like Lawson's skill set doesn't benefit Harden because it does and he will help Harden tremendously this year.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. Please don't start.

But yeah, I've never really bought the "fit" argument. Starters play 30+ minutes. And these players play alongside each other for the majority of game time. If a guy plays less than that, he's not a "starter" whether he plays at the beginning of the game or not.

There might be times when there were good reasons why you wanted to play a lesser player at the beginning of the game and not much afterward, but those are rare.

That said, McHale pretty much said the right things. You don't want to disrespect the incumbent starter and you want the new guy come in with something to prove.

17. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I'm just glad he's not giving a definite starting position to either one. It is indeed a good answer to respect both and the only one you should expect from a good coach.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Apparently his defense was awful last year, and it seems he was inconsistent game to game.

A lot of that probably had to do with the coaching situation

19. clutz

clutz Member

You could easily replace "Ty" with "Pat."

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

too much is made of starting. mins played is more important ...

nice job by McHale challenging Ty. yes, we need better defensive effort & peak years type performance.

Kevin setting the table for training camp, tempo & passion red peoples!