1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale: Lawson not guaranteed starting spot [Chron]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Sep 16, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Glad he spoke up about this and he seems very critical which is good, raises the bar for Ty and I love that both have to battle it out! So to all the doubters, it looks very much possible that Ty will come off the bench.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Mchale also mentioned that Dekker will get some burn at the 4.

While reminiscing about the game 6 comeback and talking about Brewer, he couldn't help but talk a bit about Josh Smith. It's pretty obvious that coach liked him.

Not a word about Thronton, Harrell or KJ.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

McHale better watch his back on the road and keep Harrell by his side if he keeps talking like this about Lawson.

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

If Beverley is a better fit defensively, I see no problem with Lawson coming off the bench.

Just hope he could handle it.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bev obviously fits with the starting lineup defensively. but lawson's overall talent level is so far and away above bev's i just don't see how you can't start him.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't even buy the fits due to D argument.

Wasn't the argument that Bev needs to start because Harden was a 1-man offensive show and it's too much of a load for him to also play D? Well, with Lawson, Harden should now get plenty of help on the O, so he can and should up his D.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

I just hope Beverley doesn't play any minutes with DMo this year, I can't watch him ignoring DMo in the post or throwing out of bound assists, or giving the ball only when DMo comes out to 3 point line and then needs to back his man all the way to the basket. Beverley has no offensive skills of a point guard.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

against some of the elite point guards, i can see the case for bev being able to contain those guys noticeably better than ty. but even against those teams (OKC/GS/LAC/CLE/ETC), ty creates so many opportunities for you offensively that i still wouldn't bring him off the bench. neither westbrook, curry, cp3, nor kyrie can stay in front of ty lawson and keep him out of the paint -- so starting ty lawson is a no-brainer imo.

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Ummmmmm.... Ty is starting. Chill Mchale.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Like, on the road as in pavement and not road as in Utah. :rolleyes:

11. malakas

malakas Member

when exactly has Mchale seen Lawson play good defence? To demand of him to be "the head of the snake" defensively is ludicrous.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i doubt ty comes off the bench for more than 3 games to start the season.

they immediately said they would start smith, and he was a bad fit, and was suited for coming off the bench. i think ty is a better fit with the first unit.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed. This is probably a message from the coach to the player that nothing is guaranteed so he should continue his good work with his rehab.

14. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

the numbers are clear

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

with lawson, a healthy dwight and dmo, harden's offensive load is tremendously decreased, so he should be able to give hard consistent effort on defense. thats what im expecting regardless if lawson starts or not.

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

ty lawson will be the starter.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We should know by now to trust Mchale's judgement. Especially when it comes to things like the PG rotation

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If Ty isn't starting then something went wrong

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Not starting Ty means going right back to where we were last year to start the game against the other team's best unit. Harden doing everything offensively.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That is ok for now, but once Lawson gets going, he needs to start. He is way better than Lin. We can't afford the experiment of going 4 on 5 with a recovering Bev. Patrick should come the bench.