1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale has finally broken the camel's back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pollaxt, Apr 1, 2013.

1. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Doesn't have to be hinted. It is bloody obvious.

but if you dislike McHale so much, send in your coaching resume to the Rockets.

Just now? Patrick Bev is young and has been constant minutes since he's been here. Greg Smith has been getting minutes all year.

What Rookies are you talking about? The only ones we have are Donuts and Terrence Jones on our active roster.

Strawman, I never said we have a high chance to make it out of the 1st round, I said we have no chance of beating any of those teams without a healthy Parsons and Harden, which is why rest is vital.

I believe our magic number is 5. There are 8 games left in the season. 6 of those games are against non-playoff teams and 4 of those games are against Kings/Suns. Unless you think a Lin lead Rockets team can't handle the likes of the Kings and Suns, we are almost assured the 7-8 seed, with the possibility of moving up to 6.

2. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

noooooooooooooo....i was going to make a gary kubiak reference at some point. i guess i will have to keep it in the bag for another thread.:p

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think McHale is a bad coach. But if we lost, would you have been happy with all the other "checks"?

4. conquistador#11

I wish some of you guys would follow your own posts when it comes to pessimism.

5. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

How can we win the gme without Jeremy and Omer looking too good?

-McHale

6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/45mMioJ5szc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

But we didn't, and the game never got any closer than a 2 possession game.

If Spurs never landed on the 1st pick to draft Duncan, what would people's opinion be of their tanking strategy? Would they still be successful today? Can't talk about contingencies, only result.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

That's sort of silly. I can coach the 92 Dream Team and been a gold-medal winning coach. It does not mean that every decision I make is beyond reproach.

Personally - I think McHale has made some questionable game decisions throughout the year. I do think the team has outperformed expectations as a whole though. The game decisions are the ones we actually see so people are generally going to use these as evidence of bad coaching. While they are mistakes, it does not mean he is a bad coach. It merely means he has made some arguably bad in game decisions from time to time.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No, I am not saying McHale cannot be criticized, I’m saying it’s pointless to talk about contingencies when the result has already occurred. What if McHale puts the starters back in, and they end up tearing their ACL. What would the reaction be?

10. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

The discussion was about coach's decision, whether it is reasonable according to common basketball sense, NOT whatifs.

If you don't play anyone nor put anyone in practice, there might not be basketball related ACL tearing. But you are not really worried about ACL tearing, but trying to using end result to justify means.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

His decision paid off. The criticism is what if it didn't.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

great argument.

your concern definitely has points. extremeties from both end went to too far. most ppl here have been arguing whether mchale's last call is good call or not. somehow, a few ppl (they are always) from one end used his one mistake from the last night to go on to discredit everything he did. a few from other side blindly defended his every move. it reminds me of the treatment lin got from this board. do you see the similarity? lin made a couple mistakes, then suddenly he is below average pg. the worst pg we have had. well, on the other side, a few LOFs blindly deny with saying TO is good.

i personally like a debate should focus on one thing. otherwise, it becomes too complicated for us to debate coz we have to cover everything otherwise you will leave some holes in you argument for other ppl to attack.

13. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

The criticism, of many long time Rockets fans here, is not the outcome. It was a terrible coaching decision regardless of the win.

I wonder if someone were to look at the Clippers forum if the same conversations are happening, where you have a very talented team going to the playoffs but at the same time a terrible coach worthy of criticism. Lots of parallels with Del Negro and McHale.

McHale has coached a long time and never made the playoffs. He also presided over an epic collapse last year. Neither would have happened to a coach who was actually good at his job

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Do you know how long McHale has coached?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ignoring context is the biggest form of intellectual dishonesty when making claims like that.

You want to name the players that got injured during the end of last season?
    Oh I forgot, coach needs to suit up and play.

16. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So McHale trusted his gut that the team could get the win and his starters could get some rest, was proven correct through empirical, objective criteria (a win), and is somehow a total idiot?

Let me rehash: He trusted his decision. He followed through on it. He coached a team that won the game. He got Jeremy and Omer rest. And he is an idiot for it?

One more time: He went with what he FELT was right. His FEELING was correct (the bench could still win that game). And he's dumb?

What is with these ****ing idiots acting like McHale would've done this against the Heat in game 7 of the Championship? IT'S THE ORLANDO MAGIC, CALM THE **** DOWN.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

According to whom?

Why don't we criticize Morey for giving 25 million dollars to a center who averaged 13 minutes a game in his career prior to joining this team? That decision seemed poor didn't it?

What about giving a bench player the max contract? Certainly doesn't seem like a very good decision.

Don't make the assumption that you know about the players more than the coach. You think you know all the factors equally as well as the coach.

Person A makes risky decision, decision paid off. Criticize Person A for taking the risk.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Clutchfans will always find reasons to whine...

19. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

I'm glad you capitalized FEELING because that's related.

We have a Moneyball analytical GM, exec of the year for his work this year, but he still has a subjective biased coaching staff that doesn't play his roster right, or make correct decisions based on hard objective evidence/analysis.

There is a reason coaches like Mike Brown, Vinny Del Negro, Keith Smart, and Kevin McHale are not respected as coaches. They make coaching decisions that are flawed based on FEELING (a pseudonym for bias)

20. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

McHale has gotten a ton of respect from the league this year. I can only assume that you get your information from ClutchFans after losses and close wins.