1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MCHALE FIRED!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Nov 18, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

McHale's wife throwing shade :grin:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Crocodile tears are hilarious. <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey">@dmorey</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SaveThemPlease?src=hash">#SaveThemPlease</a></p>&mdash; Lynn McHale (@lynnmchale) <a href="https://twitter.com/lynnmchale/status/667406212753809408">November 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes, the @KardasianCurse is real. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhoIsNext?src=hash">#WhoIsNext</a> ?</p>&mdash; Lynn McHale (@lynnmchale) <a href="https://twitter.com/lynnmchale/status/667366602233376770">November 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">Hmmmmmm........... <a href="https://t.co/efGgjCY7w5">https://t.co/efGgjCY7w5</a></p>&mdash; Lynn McHale (@lynnmchale) <a href="https://twitter.com/lynnmchale/status/667405353995276288">November 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/wash10181">@wash10181</a> Not mad.....amused:)</p>&mdash; Lynn McHale (@lynnmchale) <a href="https://twitter.com/lynnmchale/status/667420151696986112">November 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

She is salty. :grin: Morey don't give a crap.

About to tweet her these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

D.morey is biggest problem and only one whi need to be fired

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

what do they see in mcfail, cant they see its harden who makes him look good. Last night we ran something different and it WORKED, keep in mind this is with no practice

6. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i dont know about you, but im living with the guy that was robbed of mvp last year, and was voted by the players as the real mvp.. but thats just me

7. underrated015

underrated015 Member

It's really funny how the media wants to now get in on the firing knowing nothing about McHale. since 2011-2012. Remember the epic collapse we had out of the playoffs with that dragic team. Granted we were not winning a title but the experience would of been great. Dwights first year here and we lost to that blazers team whom we should of beaten. Everyone wants to blame the players for not playing up to their potential but remember the Shaq and Kobe teams who were getting swept by Utah . Insert Phil Jackson and they instantly became one of the greatest teams ever. We just needed an enforcer to just stay on the players to play up to their capabilities . McHale was to relaxed and just waited for them to snap out of it. Houston fans were waiting for this day for the past couple of years.

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

English! Do you speak it? :grin:

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yep. I've said it countless times. Rockets teams would routinely collapse on McHale's watch:

2012 - The team sweeps a 4-game road trip and is nearly a 97% lock to make the playoffs. They proceed to go on a big losing streak and wind up in the lottery. Again.

2013 - The team has a legit shot at finishing 6th and controls their own destiny in that regard. They collapse down the stretch including against a Kobe-less Lakers team and wind up in 8th place vs OKC instead of the Nuggets had they finished 6th. They lose 4-2 to the Thunder(and were nearly swept). Meanwhile, the team that did finish 6th(the Warriors) winds up knocking off the overrated 3rd seeded Denver Nuggets.

2014 - The team plays horribly down the stretch in the regular season(yes, injuries to Dwight and Bev did play a role) and barely eeks out home court advantage in Round 1. Despite this, they do a terrible job executing against the Blazers and promptly blow Game 1 and Game 4(and nearly blew Game 3) before coughing up Game 6(and the series) when they failed to guard Lillard on that last play.

2015 - The one year the Rockets played well down the stretch and went into the playoffs on a roll(the Pelicans did do us a huge favor against the Spurs). And it carried over into the Dallas series as they destroyed the Mavs 4-1. However they nearly coughed up the Clippers series by underestimating a Chris Paul-less LA team in Game 1(and nearly in Game 2), no-showing at Staples Center in Games 3 and 4, and collapsing in the 3rd quarter yet again in Game 6 before the historic comeback.

This season - The Rockets normally collapse late in the year under McHale. This time it occurred at the beginning. Maybe I'm giving Morey and Les too much credit, but it's possible that they looked back at McHale's tenure with the team and finally noticed that even though things were extraordinarily bad right now, this wasn't the first time the team had underperformed on his watch. This is the first season since McHale's hire where there were legitimate title expectations from the very beginning of the year. Maybe they came to the conclusion(and I would concur, BTW) that McHale isn't up to the challenge of leading a team to a title.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

All good points about McHale's tenure. He should have been gone after the Portland series loss, it should have been easy since the fourth year was a team option.

It all finally caught up in a way that couldn't be ignored. That quote from Les reads like it could have been someone on CF.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's crazy to me that the NBA world is stunned that he was fired but locals are asking why wasn't it done sooner. They keep saying how do you fire a WCFs coach?

They clearly don't watch games or dig deep in their analysis.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHale, has plenty of weaknesses that have been pointed out time and time again.

However, results speak louder than anything else. McHale's results have surpassed expectations until this season.

I hated McHale as player, and grew to kind of like him as a coach.

Despite all of his weaknesses, he was fired because the players weren't doing what they should have done.

Harden's defense regressed horribly. Ariza, Terry, Brewer, all have been far below their production from last year. D-MO is still hurt, and we are trying to integrate a new guy onto the team who's used to running his team, but doesn't need to do that now. It's been crap.

I was so excited before this year... maybe as excited as I've been in more than a decade. I'm really let down by this team, but luckily there's still time and as difficult as it can be anything is possible.

Maybe the players costing McHale his job will wake them up. The Portland game looked like they actually wanted to win that game and actually cared.

It's not like McHale did have glaring coaching weaknesses so it isn't the worst thing in the world that he was fired, but he also had great results that exceeded expectations, and of all the problems with the team this year, coaching was about 13th on the list.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We already know that, Khloe.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Pretty much tells you everything. Analyst throwing darts to see what sticks, rarely you will have deep knowledgeable guys following NBA teams.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Please please please, tell me what exactly has he done for the team to have surpassed expectations? Please find me things he does so great that we made it to the conference finals? Not playing Harden in WC finals? Having a lot of luck in that quarter where we came back? What exactly was he doing to make us sooooo "good" ?

Everything the team did was on the players, especially Harden bailing us out 20 times last season. MilkHair has no basketball plan. It's all about run run run, harder harder harder!

The coach needs to teach and lead the team. I just don't see anything that MilkHair has done that gave us extra wins. I do see him doing a lot of things that kept us losing some games we should have won.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not defending McHale. But you can't have it both ways.

If winning is on Harden, so should losing. You can't just give credit of winning to one guy and then blame the losing on the other guy. To me, this season's losing is clearly on Harden. I am fine with blaming the coach for not being able to fix Harden. But you can't just give the players a pass.

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Ok, so how many games did Harden cost us last season versus giving us a win? Surely you would say it was 80/20?

18. ibm

ibm Member

it's illogical, but it is the sad reality.

when a team wins, it's the players. when a team loses, it's the coach who gets the boot first.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tell me this season's losing.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

If you not gonna answer this question, you know where this ends.