1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale 6th in Coach of the Year voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockingRox, Apr 21, 2015.

1. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Congratulations to Coach McHale. Well deserve it.

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer won the COY honor, edging Warriors coach Steve Kerr.

Mchale won 13 points, all out of 13 third place votes.

Notably, Fran Blinebury, Sam Amick, and Hubie Brown voted for him. Feigen went for Pop at the 3rd place.

[​IMG]

UPDATE:

2. Dei

Dei Member

I really like the guy; if only his major flaws - inability to call plays, developing rookies - weren't such deal breakers.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

David Blatt, lol...were those votes for LeBron?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I put this in the Dish thread but it should probably go here...

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/04/Coach-of-the-Year-Results.pdf

Jonathan Feigen voted...

1) Kerr, Steve -- Golden State
    2) Budenholzer, Mike -- Atlanta
    3) Popovich, Gregg -- San Antonio

Matt Bullard voted...
    1) Kerr, Steve -- Golden State
    2) Budenholzer, Mike -- Atlanta
    3) Popovich, Gregg -- San Antonio

McHale's 3rd place votes came from...

Adrian Chavarria of KEYH 850 AM
    Brian Davis of Fox Sports Oklahoma
    Chris Marlowe of Altitude Sports & Entertainment
    Fran Blinebury of NBA.com
    Hubie Brown of ESPN
    Israel Guttierez of ESPN.com
    Jack Armstrong of SportsNet/TSN
    Joel Meyers of Fox Sports New Orleans
    Michael Wilbon of ESPN
    Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com
    Sage Steele of ABC Sports
    Sam Amick of USA Today
    Steve Buckhantz of Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic

McHale finished 6th overall.

#4 Haymitch, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am sorry Jeff Hornacek got a vote after the ****storm in phoenix this year?? Makes no sense

6. tdo

tdo Member

:rolleyes: Such an ignorant post. It is normally not the head coaches job to develop rookies. That is typically left to assistant coaches. Kerr and Budenholzer did such a wonderful job developing all those rookies... extreme sarcasm here if you can't tell. Regardless, it is all a moot point, because the Rockets organization has developed plenty of rookies during McHale's tenure. Rendering your post even more ridiculous.

7. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Yep. Don't quite understand the conception that McHale can't develop young players. In McHale's 4 years in Houston thus far, the team have been developing the drafted players quite well.

These are the new drafted players that the Rockets have kept on the roster for at least one year since the 2011 draft:

Marcus Morris
    Chandler Parsons
    Royce White
    Terrence Jones
    Isaiah Canaan (from Phoenix Suns)
    Clint Capela
    Nick Johnson (from New York Knicks)

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Chandler Parsons?

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but 6th place is way too low. Kerr and Budweiser deserve the top 2 spots(you can interchange them since both are deserving), but after that I honestly don't know anyone who did a better job given the hand he was dealt this season combined with the expectations going in.

McHale deserved to be no lower than 3rd place. And if he leads the Rockets to another season like this next year, he may actually win the thing.

10. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Welp. I obviously missed DMo when I only copy&pasted the list from wiki.

11. gogispade

gogispade Member

Why didnt Feigen put McHale on one of 3 slots? He will probably vote curry for mvp too

12. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I think there's always a "surprise" factor in the COY voting.

Extremely few, if any, of the media had predicted the kinds of success of either the Warriors or the Hawks, or even Bucks the jump from 15 wins last year to making the playoffs this year led by Jason Kidd.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Developing rookies?! Are you kidding me?

You ever heard of Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas, Clint Capella, Patrick Patterson and Chandler Parsons?

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Are you living in North Korea or USA?

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Warriors and Hawks were huge surprises this year, and like I said, their coaches deserve to be in the Top 2. Kidd did do a great job in Milwaukee as well especially given that they lost Parker in the first half of the season. I think you could put a small asterisk next to him since the Bucks play in the East, but he still deserves props.

But c'mon. Winning 56 games and the Southwest Division which based on the results looks like arguably the strongest division from top-to-bottom in the history of the NBA. And doing this despite a rocky offseason, Dwight and T-Jones each missing at least half the season, and losing D-Mo and Bev for the year?

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The "doesn't develop/play rookies" is just a cliche at this point. There was a camp here that said it about Van Gundy, they said it about Adelman. Yet all those teams had at least one or two rookies that played significant roles. I think we actually do a great job developing not just our draft picks but all the guys in our system.

17. CertifiedTroll

The sentiment probably arises from Marcus Morris, Troy Daniels, (maybe Royce White?). Also McHale rarely played these guys as rooks in the regular season.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Mchale was forced into dveloping some of those guys. He didn't play them until he had no other choice (Donatas Motiejunas). With Parsons it was either Bud or Parsons they were both young players it's not like he had a real vet that could take his place. But I think overall that particular statement about Mchale is false, whether his hand was forced or not he still developed rookies.

19. RESINator

RESINator Member

I'm not at all surprised that Feigan did not place Kevin McHale top 3. He actually watches rockets games and knows that its Harden leading this team to its current record. I'm glad he can look past the homerism.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And how come this is related to how good a coach is in young player development?

If playing the rookies a lots will be a factor for a successful coach, I think your vote for COY will be Brett Brown?