1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

McGrady To Houston Thread (Update: Francis will visit Orlando)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Okay...
    Where are you geting Barry or Philly people!??!? You're saying there will be a 3-way when Philadelphia was a suggestion by someone in this thread. WTF?!?!

Snow and Howard won't be on this team...maybe Howard, but nobody knows if this deal will include Howard or Gooden or Lue or anyone.

I would personally take the risk of Hill and his contract; he says his ankle feels 'as strong as ever' and he's still a good player.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

A guy like Brent Barry would be acquired using our Mid Level Exception.

Orlando will have to most surely include a big man, either Howard to Gooden.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yes I think they can take this team to the next level. You got to give him a chance in the new system and the results will show. If you just keep the team you have and maybe go after a guy like Camby to help Yao with the paint to go along with Steve,JJ, and Cat then you got yourself a 4th or 5th seed in the west.

4. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

A couple of things here:

This team as is will be a likely first round wash next year as well. This is not a championship roster.

Second, for those opposing this trade, think backwards for a moment. If we had T Mac on our roster (plus a reasonable PG), how excited would you be to trade him for SF, Cat and Cato?

5. today

today Contributing Member

How many of you have actually gotten any work done today? I know I sure haven't, I can't keep my mind focused on anything other than hearing the next piece of news.

My day has consisted of: Refresh, Refresh, Check Google News, Refresh, Refresh, Keep eye out for 'I overheard a cell phone conversation today at the mall' threads.

Come on guys, let's get out there and dig up some info!!!! Anyone work for the telephone company or the CIA? Get us some phone taps ASAP!!

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Good God I will be pissed if we gie up all of that for Tmac. You can't get rid of our two best backcourt players and then Cato. Where is the depth gonna come from? Also, Cat deserves to still be on this team. He changed his game significantly to JVG's system...it would be a shame to give him up. I will be so pissed!!! And if we get one more damn "knick" I'm gonna join the "I Hate JVG" club.

COd

7. sup123

sup123 Member

i dont think it would. Either you are elite or not. Steve and yao just dont mix.

8. forenzi

forenzi Contributing Member

teams would have to choose between double teaming yao or tmac. francis didnt require a double team he turned over the ball all without any help if he wasnt stepping out of bounds

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

Me either. Good thing I didn't have too much to do today. Shoosh!! :D

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's not necessarily true, many young teams have just gotten into the playoffs and then eventually got smoked once they got in there. The Lakers got pounded repeatedly and swept a couple time before winning a title, same for Orlando when Shaq was there, and Sacramento who repeatedly lost in the first round before advancing. Not saying the Rockets do or do not need a makeover, but saying the Rockets can't get better because they were a #7 seed that lost in 5 games in the first round isn't necessarily true.

11. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Shaq could well be making jokes, but if this is true......

And if we can pull it off...

Yao + Shaq + TMac = world champions for the next 5 years

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

y'all are arguing with someone by the name of LilFrancis...i'm pretty sure he would disagree about any moves that involves "big" francis

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Sure the Lakers were the better team but that does not mean you ship 2 of your top 3 players away for one guy who stays hurt. Maybe you move Cat to the bench, Steve to the 2 and go after a true point gurad or you can keep them where they are and go after a PF like Camby who can play D and rebound. The team is not far from being along with Sa,Dal, and Sac but if we make this trade then we are moving backwards.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

A couple of things here:

This team as is will be a likely first round wash next year as well. This is not a championship roster.

Second, for those opposing this trade, think backwards for a moment. If we had T Mac on our roster (plus a reasonable PG), how excited would you be to trade him for SF, Cat and Cato?

If the Rockets were a lottery team and McGrady was threatening to opt out of his contract I think a number of people would be excited about the deal. Not saying people would say it's the best deal but an All-Star PG, a SG who drops 18 to 20 ppg and a 7-Foot shot-blocking and rebounding center would look good.

15. today

today Contributing Member

Any link for this quote by Shaq?

16. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Still have mixed feelings. :(

But Gooden would make me feel better.

Howard = Much better

Gooden = Much younger... potentially slightly better.

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

exactly. The Magic will be getting 3 starters from a western conference playoff team. Along with that they've got the #1 pick. This move will vault them into the top 4 or 5 of the eastern conference.

18. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

This will be a very sad day:( but T-Mac is one of the few players I would trade Steve for. Hey...there's nothing wrong with having a second team to route for in the east especially one that could feature Steve, Mobley, (Maybe Hill), Okafor, and Cato.

19. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think so too..

we have the best offer on the table... 3 starters from a Western Conference Playoff team.

almost sounds like were giving up too much, but if they include Gooden works out. We fill our PF position for a long time, and we start looking for a servicable PG.

I think SF3 / Cat and Cato = Tmac / Gooden would make more sense. JHoward doesnt seem like a PF, he seems more like a tall SF put into the PF position.

J

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Mcgrady's back injury is bothersome, but I wouldn't say he "stays hurt".
    We don't have the cap space to do everything you're suggesting, it's impossible to get a 'true point' and a PF like camby without giving something up. Who do we give up? Cat? Steve? Spoon? :rolleyes:

I don't see the same reality as you, I don't think our team is close to being like SA, DAL, and SAC. Do you remember what our record was with those teams this year? I think we won 1 or 2 games against them...that's not close. If you think it is, then there nothing I can say.