1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady: Option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Assuming Yao Ming is injured for a significant amount of the 09/10 season, or worse the entire year.

What would happen if Mac returned 25 games into the season with the exact team plus back up center and returned to form of old as playmaker and scorer knowing he is in a contract year and wanted to prove doubters wrong ( I hope )

Ryalisticly do you think this team could be contenders you still have low post scoring in scola and robin to mac in artest with brooks improved and landry who I thinks strives a lot off mcgrady. Could this team possibly make some noise next season and into the playoffs with the idea of maybe getting yao back?

2. 1individual

1individual Member

It may be entirely impossible to keep him on the roster and get another star at the center. But if that happens, I think we're good. I like Bosh + T-Mac + Artest, or Amare + T-Mac + Artest, or even Boozer + T-Mac + Artest.

3. FR0497

FR0497 Member

I have no clue how the title of this thread and the questions you posted have anything to do with each other. Your questions also could have gone in the other hundred threads about T-Mac.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if tracy does come back like his 07-08 form, we will make the playoffs and make noise just fine. but we're nowhere near winning a championship.

i prefer starting anew. fresh. over. whatever you want to call it. or get me amare/bosh :(

5. seanluu

seanluu Member

no without yao, that puts a huge hole in our offense and we would need the McGrady of a scorer, and I don't see that happening for the rest of his career. And if hes given the flag to shoot at will...he and artest will drive the season down the hole

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

God there's SO MANY different scenarios and question marks with the team's current situation. What a roller coaster ride. All we can do is trust Morey and hope and pray for the best.

7. 1RocketMac11

1RocketMac11 Member

he's the highest paid player in the NBA, he better come back. and i agree with t_mac1, we'll likely make the playoffs, but do nothing there.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

It's tough to see that team making too much noise in the playoffs. If he comes back and plays great then you've got to consider getting something for him while you can. Do you really want to resign Tmac to a long term deal in 2010 or lose him for nothing? That's the 2 options there and I don't like either of them.

9. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

There is a thing called salary cap. I doubt any of those combination will or could happen without there being a trade.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

It makes no sense in trading Tracy now unless they could get some very talented youth for him.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bring Tracy back (at any strength level) and watch Brooks, Lowry and Wafer (if he is here) regress to spot up shooting, ineffective players who spend the games watching Ron and Tmac argue over who is going to dribble last before shooting up a horrible shot.

This team made huge steps last year because EVERYONE got to be involved in the offense. Everyone was allowed to create and touch the ball on each possession. The reason that happened is because McGrady was out. Don't take two steps back.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think ron might know his role after sucking badly on offense in the playoffs last yr. he might have to defer to brooks a lot more.

it's time for tracy to go.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

best case... we sign the same team, McGrady can be 90 percent of what he was, we get a new center like Chris Bosh, and then sign one more player to fill holes...

and if we haven't traded key elements out, then yes, we could make it to the conference finals.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I still would not extend his contract without a SIGNIFICANT pay decrease
    I'm talking single digit millions

Rocket River

15. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

Mac is the new Steve Francis, we need to just move forward