1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady is already making excuses in NY! Unbelievable

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wakkoman05, Feb 20, 2010.

1. wakkoman05

wakkoman05 Member

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP)—Tracy McGrady(notes) will be in the starting lineup in his New York Knicks debut on Saturday night against Oklahoma City.

Coach Mike D’Antoni said he doesn’t know what the complete lineup will be, but it will include McGrady. The Knicks acquired the seven-time All-Star on Thursday in a three-team deal with Houston and Sacramento.

McGrady played only limited minutes in six games for the Rockets this season after coming back from microfracture knee surgery. He said he hopes he can play 25 to 30 minutes Saturday in what will be his first action since Dec. 23.

“Physically I feel good, but then again I haven’t played in a year and a half,” McGrady said. “Even the eight minutes I was playing, you really can’t get a feel of how long I can play. But yeah, I think I’m ready to go.”

D’Antoni wasn’t sure either, since McGrady was limited to only about 7 1/2 minutes a game this season after surgery last February. The swingman has played 41 games over the last two seasons.

“I asked him about everything and he says ‘I have no idea,”’ D’Antoni said. “We’ll talk about it during the game and there’s no restrictions on him from a medical standpoint, only how he feels and the way he looks and all that. But he’ll communicate with me when he wants to come out.”

The Knicks held their first morning shootaround at home this season so their new acquisitions could become more familiar with the offense. They also brought in point guard Sergio Martinez in the three-team trade, and acquired Eddie House(notes), Bill Walker(notes) and J.R. Giddens(notes) in a deal that sent Nate Robinson(notes) to Boston.

The biggest piece was McGrady, more for his $22.5 million expiring contract than for the talents that won him two scoring titles. Even McGrady acknowledged that he’ll be rusty and expects his timing and rhythm to be off.

“I don’t think a lot of people expect a lot out of me anyway. So, it’s really no pressure,” McGrady said. “I’m just looking forward to going out there and playing.”

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

:grin: Another mcgrady thread..and in the wrong section.

3. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

I guess he's just nervous playing in a long time, playing on a new team, and how the fans will react etc. Funny thread title though.

4. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Go be a Knicks fan dude, or at least post in the NBA section. T-Mac? we're off that.

5. cuddie

cuddie Member

It's not like they're legitimate or anything, right? :rolleyes:

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Who is this T-Mac guy? I've never heard of him.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

How is that an excuse?. he is just stating the obvious. he has played 46 minutes in over 12 months. he will need a couple of games to get into the groove of being back on the floor.

BTW, he is'nt a rocket anymore, stop these threads

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

What is wrong with what he said. He's not even a Rocket anymore and some of you still make a big deal about the smallest thing.

Physically he feels good but he hasn't played major minutes in a long time. Umm that is called the truth.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

sweet. i'm checking this one out.

10. huynhct

huynhct Member

sergio MARTINEZ? REALLY?

11. roksoer

roksoer Member

the op's sarcastic, right?

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sounds quite natural to me when you consider all that he has been through. :p\ Please stop posting about McG. he is no longer a rocket! :p

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

OP has 47 posts in 3 years. He breaks out of lurker mode to post a Knicks/Tmac thread in the GARM.

He should post less often. :)

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Wow. If McGrady says he's ready to dominate, he's a self-absorbed talker divorced from reality. If he (correctly) tempers the expectations, he's making excuses (unbelievable!).

Disgruntled fans are unbelievable sometimes.

2 people like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

“I asked him about everything and he says ‘I have no idea,”’ D’Antoni said.
    _____

Wow, is right durvasa.

16. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

I have some basic interest in seeing how he fares in NY, but ultimately all this hanging on is naueasting.

FREAKING GO ROCKETS.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He's just doing damage control like any other player who is past his prime would do. I can't fault him for that.

Better yet, it isn't surprising. We're all used to "I'm going to shut it down," or "I feel 90%" or "I'm not at full strength."

It's habitual for Tracy, and even though he didn't work out here, I don't hate him like the majority of posters on this board do. I'm a Rockets fan first and foremost, but I think it takes a more sensible fan to consider different points of view, just like anything else.

I'm just thankful that the inconsistency of "is he playing/not playing?" is finally over.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Whats wrong w/ what he said?

He hasn't played significant minutes in over a year.........yea he's right, there is no telling how long he will be able to play.

Its called the truth dude.

McGrady is gone........get over it.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

fans forget all players go through this. It's called PRE SEASON. No matter how much they worked out or played in the summer they always need the preseason to get the bugs worked out. NBA comp doesnt compare to practice/drills. Let him play significant time for about 2 weeks, and then he won't have any "excuses" left.

20. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

From the interview he admitted saving his leg before surgery yet blamed the Rockets for a "year and a half laid off". :rolleyes: