1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

McGrady dissed by Sam Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roswell raygun, May 4, 2006.

1. roswell raygun

From this morning's Chicago Tribune:
    Do you think a package with Hinrich, NY's No. 1 and maybe a Chandler would be realistic for Tracy McGrady... I just think McGrady would be a great fit for this team - and think Hinrich would help the Rockets get more out of Yao. TMac would command fouls, double teams, he'd be guarded by the Tayshaun Prince-type guys and then Gordon, Nocioni and Deng would overwhelm a lot of teams. He's just the only guy in the class of a Kobe or a Wade or a LeBron whom I can see we have a shot at w/o mortgaging our entire team. Your thoughts? --J.D., Chicago
    See, it's not just me who wants to deal. I can't stand watching McGrady play and would take Hinrich any day over him. First of all, McGrady likely has a short career tenure because of his back problems. Part of the issue is he doesn't work much on rehabilitation and it often keeps him from practicing, so it never gets better and it's hard for your team to get better. And he still hasn't even been out of the first round of the playoffs. He's a fabulous talent, way better than anyone on the Bulls. He was at his best in Toronto when he played with Vince Carter. He worked hard and defended then and with his long arms and quickness, he was amazing. But he decided to become just a scorer. He could be even better, virtually unstoppable, but he mostly runs the perimeter and shoots. He doesn't like the contact going to the basket. He's one of those players of which the NBA has too many now, more promise than reality.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

3. tone-weezy

tone-weezy Member

I dont look at it as a diss. Its an opinion....a VERY uninformed opinion. The type of opinion you get when you dont watch a player for an entire season.

The only part that upsets me is the part about his back. What kind of rehab is he is suppose to do on something thats chronic??? The fact that he follows the Bulls and got to see Scottie Pippen go through back problems early in his career...problems that lead to him to having surgery...you'd think he would be more understanding.

4. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam Smith finally got to use a quote from his last job review from the president of the Chicago Tribune...

5. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

yet another case of a writer from another city trying to sound smart by writing on preconceived notions, rather than actually sitting down and watching a game to establish an unbiased opinion

tmac guarded dirk in last years playoffs and guarded him well...hes more than willing to play hardnosed defense/guard the best player on the opposing team, and he creates a lot more than other supposed superstars (kobe?)

let em have hinrich...well be laughing from the atop the standings next season

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Obviously Sam Smith didn't watch T-Mac defend Nowitzki during the playoffs last season. T-Mac's been hurt this whole season, so it's just to hard to judge him right now, especially when it's coming from some beat writer.

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This kind of thing makes me consider a career in sports journalism. You see all of these hacks writing these completely uninformed articles. It can't be that hard to get into.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so what parts don't you guys disagree with particular. mcgrady's jumpshooting was an issue this past season. he is hurt with back injuries.

the parts I disagree with is his defense and his best years being in toronto.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's a pretty good offer for tmac.

yao-stro
    chandler-jho
    morisson-MLE
    carney-head
    hinrich-rafer

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Do you think his back is a problem because he doesn't work hard enough to rehab it? That's garbage right there.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sam Smith's opinion on T-Mac not withstanding, I agree. It is a decent offer. In any other draft class, it would probably be a fantastic offer.

Of course, I know little about salary caps, especially with draft picks and/or trade exceptions involved, but I don't think the proposed trade works.

Now, if the Bulls say wanted to add Nocioni to the deal, the salaries would get closer.

My proposal would be:

Tracy McGrady plus Rockets current #8 choice for
    Chandler, Nocioni, Hinrich and Bulls current #2 pick from NY

...of course, I don't really see how that helps the Bulls, though. Maybe we throw in Stromile?

12. Major

Major Member

How would we really know? What do we know about the treatment he's getting, how seriously he takes it, or anything else?

It may be garbage, but none of us (except maybe some insiders) are really in any position to say.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wait until after the draft when the Bulls will be more than 20 million under the cap. Then make the deal. Let the Bulls pick for us with their #2 and #16 picks.

TMac/Juwan (Chicago native)/Luther (Illinois connection) for #2, #16, Luol Deng, Ben Gordon.

The Bulls won't give up Hinrich and Nocioni, their Great White Hopes. Chandler is the only center they have and no better center will step out of this draft.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

i think everything he said about T-Mac is right on. The guy just isn't in the league of Lebron and Kobe. Plus, his career is not gonna last too long, he will never admit this to anyone, since he wants his big contracts and ad deals. The guy knows its over and is playing like a guy who is doing just enough to still be in the top 15 in the league.

15. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

Wow, thanks for stopping by to kick a man while he's down. Really great insights you've got there.

This is really starting to piss me off. He still did some spectacular things when he was feeling well. The thing that pisses me off the most is that I'm going to have to listen to idiotic assumptions about the demise of T-Mac pretty much non-stop until November.

He's doing just enough to be top 15 in the league (while injured)? Is that all? You're right dude, total slacker.

16. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Bosh plays for the Raptors right? The Toronto Raptors? The team that T-Mac up and left right?

Just checking.

17. dream2franchise

T-Mac is so overrated, he only managed to drop 40+ back to back on the Pistons and Bucks, 35+ 9 times and knock down a game winner in LA in a 47 game season where he was troubled by chronic back pain, knee pain and had to deal with the illness and death of his mother-in-law.

The reason T-Mac hasn't gotten out of the first round is the talent around him, he was right there carrying us in game 7, along with Yao but his team mates failed to show up. Enough with this 'he has to carry us' BS, unless he can average 120pts per game it isn't gonna happen, the rest of the team needs to step up when it matters.

This guy when healthy, IMO is the best in the league, and TOP 5 to any knowledgable person. Instead of trying to trade him for role players, why don't we try hoping that he gets healthy because a player of his abilty, who can do EVERYTHING you need a superstar to do, is much more valuable.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where is Nocioni supposed to play (after his break out play offs)?

Chicago & Wiz SHOULD swap Chandler for Antoine Jamison.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

What a deal!! We all hope that McGrady will be Ok but upto now it's only wishful thinking. Such a deal, if true would vault the Rockets into another zone and all the financial limitations would be solved with one massive upgrade of the Roster.