1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mcgrady could play for only 3 or 4 more years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crazyguypete, Jan 12, 2006.

1. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

If this has already been posted go ahead and lock it up.
    How bad is McGrady's back? Well according to David Aldridge, Mcgrady stated he is good for about 3 or 4 more years and then may have to retire. If this is true this is awful for soo many reasons.

1.) Obviously the Rockets would be with out their best player (and one of the top three players in the league)
    2.) I believe he signed a very large contract for about 6 years, wont he still be under that contract?
    3.) That window of opportunity is getting smaller and smaller for the Rockets

I would like nothing more then for this team to get healthy and make a run for the title as a lower seeded team and call me stupid but I think its still possible if our nucleus gets healthy. However, if this team is decimated with injuries for the entire season, I think Houston needs to find a quick way to rebuild for the next couple of seasons. Houston we may have a BIG BIG PROBLEM.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

That was just stuff he said in the past, he estimated that he still has another 3-4 good years at a high level, but I do think retirement is a definite possibility in the not so distant future. Still, if he retires, I believe the Rockets will be off the hook for the rest of his contract, or I might be wrong about that one...

If anything, hopefully that will get management scrambling to put around him and Yao a solid enough cast to give them a couple of runs at the ring...hopefully.

3. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

ya i think so too. I don't know bout the contract, i wondered bout that myself. He has taken a lot of beating. if only he had real talent surrounding him. :rolleyes:

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

That's the same type of comment Bill Worrell made last night. He said that JVG made some comments in the paper and, if you read between the lines, there are some big changes coming. Talked about how there is a small window of opportunity and they would like to get a good group of players surrounding Yao and TMac to make a few runs. Though, because it was a brief mention in between calling the game action, couldn't tell if he was hinting at possible moves this season or merely talking about the look ahead at the offseason.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

when tmac gets on the wrong side of 30 his chance of staying healthy for an entire season will be pretty small.

this season was one of 5 in which we could've made a run. we have 4 more championship caliber years left before the window closes.

4 more years is not as bad as is sounds, it's just a shock when we first thought it would be about 10 years.

we should win one or two championships towards the end of the 4 years when duncan gets older and nash isn't running the suns. yao will be at his peak and tmac will still be amazing.

6. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

TMac is not a top 3 player. Not even top 5

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well not on the bench, but on the court he is as good as anyone in the nba.

8. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

Grant Hill!!

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Sweet... Orlando can give McGrady a ridiculous contract after he leaves houston and then watch him play 10 games a year.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Chad Ford has the inside scoop and says it's more like one and a half seasons left.

So we have this year and next year to win the title before we become like the old clippers.

But that just makes the draft that much more exciting!!!!!

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Not top 5?

Curious about your top five...no, nevermind.

12. ymc

ymc Member

You didn't ask me but I would like to volunteer:

My top 5:
    1) Duncan
    2) Kobe
    3) Nash
    4) KG
    5) Lebron

T-Mac is great but there are better players. :cool:

13. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Hahahahahaha. He thinks LeBron is better than T-Mac.

Sorry, we're talking about the present, not "five years from now".

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Hmmmmm.....where does Amare, Dirk, Iverson, Wade, Marion fall in the top 10?

15. ymc

ymc Member

Well, statistically speaking, Lebron is better than T-Mac this season and also last season.

16. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Liu 1107

"Grant Hill!!"

Go back to Laker land you troll!!

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

pretty much all of TMac's detractors say "well he got knocked out in the first round again last year, so until he changes that, he's no better than anyone else we had".

Lebron hasn't made the playoffs. Much less made it out of the first.

18. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Please tell me this early retirement thing is just deperate journalist pandering for readers! :(

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I sure hope so because it's really not the kind of thing I wanna be hearing...esp. this season

20. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

why would anyone assume he's got "3 or 4 more years?" i'm not certain he's got 2 years left in him. that back spasm thing seems quite crippling.