1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McDonald's to replace cashiers' with touch-screen computers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, May 24, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It'll work great after some transition. I'll be far happier to use it than the current model of speaking to an unfocused unhappy cashier that gets half the order wrong because they aren't paying attention, don't care, and constantly interrupt me while I'm giving the order.

"I'd like a #2 with no ketc"YOU WANT THE MEAL?
    "Yes, the meal, but no ketc"YOU WANT AN APPLE PIE WITH THAT?
    "No, just the meal, but no ketc"FOR HERE OR TO GO?

I'll take my chances that the touchscreen doesn't constantly cut me off and screw up my order. I'll also put down money that I'll be faster using it my first time than any trainee I've ever seen working the counter.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

When you picture 10 people like this waiting in front of you in line at lunch, you will start to think differently about this idea.

[​IMG]

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

So you'll have to use a credit card to eat at McDonald's?

If so, I'm sure the credit card companies like the idea.

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

What are they going to replace me with?

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Given the all kiosk movement in airports, and the growing popularity of self checkout at groceries stores (which accept cash too), and even stuff like RedBox, I don't think it'll be near the issue some of you are expecting.

And there's no way on earth these are going to drop and immediately be the only option for ordering. They'll still have at least one or two cashiers working. If there's a line at the touchscreen(s), just go to the cashier.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Who the hell am I going to rant to when I go to my McDonald's drunk on
    a Saturday night?

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

One of the McDonald's around the Beaumont area (Winnie, I think) has this. You go in and order using a computer. You can pay at the kiosk with credit/debit or at the counter with cash. You get an order number and they call those out when your order is ready. I've used it a couple of times but it has been a good while since I was in that McDonald's so I don't know if they still have it.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

The air-apparent to the door knob and gas pump handle for the most germ infested devices.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Touch screen ordering is an assault against those who can't read.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

You know they'll have a bill acceptor, and we'll get to wait 20 minutes for some dirty b*stard trying every witch way to shove a street dollar into it.

[​IMG]

12. Nook

Nook Member

Lets bring it to America... lets see how many unemployed people we can have! Especially the poor that work at McDonalds.

1 person likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No need for a line, besides the drive-thru. You can put up 20 of these next to each other.

And, our OCD brothers: if you're grossed out by the idea of using a public touchscreen, you probably shouldn't step foot in a McDonald's anyway.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

A touchscreen in McDonalds sounds ****ing disgusting. A greasy, bacteria ridden console...yuck.

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I think hard currency wins that award.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

...already does this. McD's needs to keep up.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how is that different from every other console you interact with daily?

But, to the topic, I get a headache watching people trying to figure out how to self checkout at the grocery store...it's going to be painful to watch people order there (granted, i don't eat there so it won't bother me)

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

There's one in Nederland that did have it. Last time I went in there (probably 3 years ago), none of the kiosks worked. It's been completely remodeled on the outside now, so I don't know if anything has changed.

19. VanityHalfBlack

At Sonics you can order at this menu with a push of a button while you sit inside your car....

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

In my experience, entering a McDonald's is roughly equivalent to entering a public restroom in terms of hygiene. And the problem with a mcd's console is that usually, you're planning on eating right after using it. Wanna bet how many folks will wash their hands first?

Yep. I don't eat that **** either so I don't really care, I just think the idea is foul.

#40 rhadamanthus, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011