1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McConnell: "Oh, we'd fill it"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, May 28, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I think it's funny you're so self-righteous and I think it's ironic that given the chance, you know, I know and everyone else knows the Democrats will do the exact same thing and become total hypocrites vis-a-vis the arguments they made in 2016.

I don't get all morally bent out of shape about it like you do.

2. HTM

HTM Member

.... you losing it buddy?

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You can't get morally bent out of shape over what republicans (now led by trump) have done to government and America. Its like expecting trump to tell the truth. Just can't happen.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Did I said it's ok? No, it's fking not ok to keep escalating and breaking norms, honors and unwritten rules. The very reason it's not ok is once it's broken, it becomes the new norms. That's what is important here and you seem to be glossing over that and prefer to play the labeling game as if that's what is really important. To me, it's seem only important if you want to attack one group to justify another group.

The fact is clear. The GOP broke norms, honors and unwritten rules when it comes to SCJ nomination and consideration. If I want to extend this, the president is doing this on a freaking regular basis. But yes, let's worry about labeling and not actual actions that will cause long lasting damages to the country.

adoo and NewRoxFan like this.
  5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

You claim your observation is neutral but your complaints here are only about moral grandstanding of democrats, and nothing to say about McConnell. Your criticism seems selective. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This looks to me like the "both-sideism" that center-right voters are forced to indulge in now, when they know their own preferred team is awful, so they look away and resort to saying "well, both sides do it... even though they aren't right now... so, hypothetically, yeah."

mdrowe00, fchowd0311 and NewRoxFan like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Losing it? Read through our posts and tell me who you really think is losing it. Perhaps the one criticizing others for being "self-righteous" and "moralistic-grandstanding". As if being righteous and moral is a bad thing...

Rashmon and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup, this center right "mAh both sides are bad" shtick wasn't there under Obama. Only now, when an obvious divisive baffoon heads their party does this "but both sides are bad" trope come in to play.

In 20 years hardly anyone is going to admit they supported Trump and the current GOP leadership with Mitch and Lindsey, not out of fear but shame similar to how GOP voters have ditched Bush Jr. and his adminstration.

8. Nook

Nook Member

This.

As Carter Page would say..................

[​IMG]

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

There is no real context.

He is playing politics.

A few years ago he refused a vote for a Supreme Court Justice that Obama appointed.

Now he is saying that if Trump appoints a Supreme Court Justice he will have a vote on it.

He is shameless...... but he has represented his parties interests well.

I suppose one way to look at it is to say that he should be applauded for finally being honest.

No worries there are others just like him on both sides of the aisle.

The problem he will run into is that moderates and independents may not like it much.

RayRay10 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  10. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Both-sideism and false equivalence (college kids protesting are just as bad as Nazis) are the mighty banner under which the center right marches.

It's a shame; in a country with more than two parties, they could just find something more reasonable to align with. But in the states, reasonable republicans are forced to either support their own team sinking to the lowest levels of depravity, support their opponents, or do nothing. Must be hard, surrendering your standards and principles and spending all your time deflecting.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Lindsey Graham isn't really any better. Also, McConnell doesn't have to hide the hypocrisy. This is post Trump election standards. You can raw dog prostitutes, lie, dog whistle and still survive. McConnell never would have admitted as much 2-3 years ago.

Right now moderates are not en vogue, and until there are electoral consequences, both sides of the aisle will become more extreme.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not really. McConnell had already said that if Clinton won they would block the nomination for her entire term.

DonnyMost and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Nope, this is false.

I also do not believe for a minute that you disagree with McConnell. You would rather try and shoe horn a conservative onto the court than wait for a 50/50 chance of a democrat becoming President and having someone like Garland or a more liberal judge on the court.

What I don't want to hear is any complaining from Republicans if the next time this issue comes up, a Democrat shoves it up their ass and a 50 year old extreme liberal from NYC is on the court. The Republicans choose to break from tradition..... Pandora's Box is open and won't close soon.

The same goes with the continued expansion of executive power and a complete disregard for checks and balances and the power of the legislative branch. The pendulum will swing to the left, and it will get quite ugly.

I said the same thing when GWB expanded executive power by opening the door..... same with Obama who propped the door open and now Trump who has blown the door off the hinges. It is ultimately good for no one. We have checks and balances for a reason....... I love the Republicans that scream "originalist" and "Constitution" out one side of their mouth, yet support the President taking a **** on the Constitution out the other side.

As for the Democrats? There are issues there too.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. HTM

HTM Member

Pretty sure I haven't used the word "neutral" in here.. but sure..

The "what-about-ism" is strong though. Apparently, to have an opinion on a subject, you need to express your opinion on several other subjects.

I did not realize I had to make a commentary about Mitch McConnell before I said anything else. Let me write something up for you to comfort you. :rolleyes:

I happened to be in here reading these posts and it struck me as particularly ironic to see the grand standing about Mitch McConnell's hypocrisy when everyone in here very well knows, if given the opportunity, Democrats will be just as big of hypocrites.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

16. Buck Turgidson

When they engrave the tombstone of US political bipartisanship and civility Mitch McConnell's name will be prominently featured. Probably at the top.

DonnyMost and RayRay10 like this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Um...are you mentioning “what-about-ism” in relation to other posters...when you’re in a thread about Mitch McConnell...and bringing up what the Democrats might do in the future...:rolleyes:

upload_2019-5-31_7-3-22.gif

Anticope and NewRoxFan like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Turley comments, and I agree with him:

I certainly understand Tribe’s frustration but people of good faith, and particularly professors, need to try to restore civil discourse in our public debates. Otherwise reasoned debate will be replaced by mere ridicule.Democratic candidates have already started to return personal insults from Trump. That may be a way to appeal to the extremes of our politics but it will do little to convince people on the merits of these issues.​

https://jonathanturley.org/2019/05/31/tribe-calls-mcconnell-mcturtle-and-a-flagrant-d******d/

20. HTM

HTM Member

My interaction in this thread started with a hypothetical because my comment was literally in response to a hypothetical. It was a play off the hypothetical I was quoting. Good Grief. :rolleyes:

My comments haven't been ironic at all. There are several pages of this thread calling Mitch McConnell a hypocrite. I'm pointing out the irony and hypocrisy of doing that when everyone in here knows the Democrats will do the exact same thing if given the opportunity.