1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McConnell moves to give Billy Barr more Deep State powers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, May 11, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's not about liking it disliking Crenshaw. I just don't think he really thinks through his views and I just disagree with them flat out. If Joe ****ing Rogan can poke giant holes in your argument about healthcare, you need to reevaluate your fundamental ideas on it.

But the one aspect I do not like about Crenshaw is he does tend to dabble into the bigotry realm by accusing people like Ilhan Omar of desiring 9/11 over a absurd interpretation of what she said.

B@ffled likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

@rocketsjudoka I'd like to delve into this with you too. These are the type of 'discussion' that are healthy and I firmly believe they can be had in a healthy, respectful manner. I hope I get some time this afternoon and maybe do some 'homework' to address what you and @dobro1229 have asked.

And you gotta know by now, that there are times, when I throw out a response here that's off the cuff, that I don't actually believe, just to add fuel to the fire. I think we all do it. For example, I don't think there is a Pedophile ring run out of a Pizzaria, even tho I've thrown that out in response to something I've thought was crazy.

I'll try to get back and explain, or present my views in response to these when I get more time. Hopefully the news cycle doesn't blow up and my responses don't become irrelevant to this discussion. I'm blessed that I'm able to work, so I gotta knock some stuff out. Peace.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that when you throw something out there like that, you immediately lose credibility to a lot of posters who then will dismiss anything you say because if you are reckless in one area why should anyone trust you aren't with everything you write?

mdrowe00, Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I mentioned Crenshaw because he's likely your rep (assuming you live in Hou suburbs) and as a supporter of his, his office should listen to folks like yourself who are likely to donate to his campaign, show up at his town halls, etc. The GOP knows that Texas is more diverse than other red states, and if someone like Crenshaw, or Cornyn CHOOSES to influence up the food chain what they are hearing on the ground, and seeing in polling, it matter if enough BAffled's are voicing their concerns.

I totally believe that Texas Republicans and Democrats in Congress have a ton of power they hardly ever exercise in national politics. There's not one Republican strategist behind the scenes that isn't scared to death of Texas turning blue in a wave election. They'll never admit it, but at the RNC there are people there who listen very closely to see what is happening in districts like Crenshaw's.

Reg Congressional subpoena powers - The system we have now is Congress has oversight and subpoena power granted under the Constitution (the word "SHALL" is used) but you are right that Congress can be abusive with their subpoena requests "on both sides".... see Republicans during the Clinton admin, or even Republicans in Benghazi. However in those situations, Democratic administrations at the very least worked with Republicans in Congress to negotiate to the point where they never had to go all the way to the Supreme Court.

The system is one that says "it's worth your time to negotiate, and come to common ground." It's not the role of the Courts to re-write the Constitution which is what Trump is asking the Supreme Court to do in this case which is beyond what any president in American History has ever done. If the Supreme Court grants it, the Presidency will be given the power to NEVER comply with oversight ever again.

That's a big deal, and creates an autocracy basically overnight.

Regarding Obama - I fully suspect your friends that watch FoxNews truly believe that Obama was a tyrant who hates America, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't mean its fact. Obama's criticism that he's authoritarian comes from his second term where he governed by Executive Order, and rarely had legislation come through Congress. That he setup different offices within the government (like consumer protection), and gave Dreamers some short term Amnesty.

BIGGGGGGG freaking difference between using Executive Powers that can be undone with the next administration, and literally calling for the jailing of your predecessor, and political enemies like a pre WW2 Fascist. Executive Orders can be challenged in court, and they can be reversed by an election. What Obama did (controversial in some cases) is at least within the framework that the Constitution provides. He didn't do things like getting the Justice Department to just drop cases against his friends and allies. He didn't publicly call for his political rivals to be put in jail. He didn't prosecute the Bush Administration when there was damn good reason to do so.

There's just no comparison there to make that holds any water. Call me when you find the court case where the Obama Administration was arguing in front of the Supreme Court that he has "Absolute Immunity" and cannot even be investigated, and show me back in 2011 when he was calling for Mitt Romney a criminal who should be put in jail.

#44 dobro1229, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what do you think about what Obama went through with the republican congress undermining him?

What do you think about the all the dirty games that Mitch played especially with the Supreme Court?

mdrowe00, dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Senate passes surveillance bill without ban on web history snooping
    The Senate has voted to reauthorize the USA Freedom Act, bringing the surveillance bill closer to becoming law. The USA Freedom Reauthorization Act restores government powers that expired in March with Section 215 of the Patriot Act. While the Senate adopted an amendment to expand oversight, it shot down a proposal that would have restricted warrantless collection of internet search and web browsing data.

The USA Freedom Reauthorization Act lets law enforcement collect “tangible things” related to national security investigations without a warrant, requiring only approval from a secret court that has reportedly rubber-stamped many requests. It passed the House of Representatives earlier this year, but it stalled in the Senate during the start of the coronavirus pandemic. Today, senators approved it with 80 votes for and 16 votes against, according to The Hill. The House of Representatives will need to approve the amended version of the bill before sending it to the president’s desk.

The USA Freedom Act was designed to reform the Patriot Act and limit large-scale phone record collection, following leaks from NSA contractor Edward Snowden in 2013. But surveillance critics wanted to extend its limits in the reauthorized version. Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Patrick Leahy (D-VT) successfully passed an amendment that would expand the role of independent advisers to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court.

Conversely, Sens. Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Steve Daines (R-MT) failed by one vote to pass a rule prohibiting warrantless surveillance of internet search and browsing records. Wyden ultimately voted against the reauthorization. “The legislation hands the government power for warrantless collection of Americans’ web browsing and internet searches, as well as other private information, without having to demonstrate that those Americans have done anything wrong,” he said in a statement. “Without further reform of these vague and dangerous Patriot Act authorities, Congress is inviting more secret interpretations of the law and more abuses.”

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I identify as a conservative..these aren’t conservatives. It’s a group of white supremacist, anti women, anti minority guys that have a blend of special issues they cater to. It’s really weird

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No no no.. The real issue here is about how the FBI was spying on members of the Trump campaign and railroading Flynn. The FBI and NSA are totally justified in spying on everyone else..

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The bill amendment was short by just one vote? It seems like McConnell wanted to give the illusion that it was close when it probably never was in the first place. Another question is where the hell was Bernie Sanders?

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

So where are the posters that are going after Biden for "unmasking" Flynn...strangely, I don't see them in this topic railing against how this is bad policy since it's basically what gives the powers to unmask people.

Invisible Fan and dobro1229 like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll say it again. This isn't about justice..

RayRay10 likes this.