1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McConnell Blames Entitlements, Not GOP, for Rising Deficits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 16, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It depends on what school. Much of what we learned in K-12 was not completely accurate. College does a much better job.

Let them eat cake has long been debunked as something not true.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You keep saying this but have nothing to back it up. On the other hand we know with 1000000% certainty that childhood obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other conditions associated with obesity are truly major issues in America. The average weight of Americans and our children has skyrocketed over the past 50+ years.

I know this isn’t the topic of the thread but you just keep repeating something that if it is true then it happens at astonishingly low rates and is almost always associated with abuse, eating disorders, or chronic/terminal illness. Can you just show one community in America that is malnourished and experiences starvation? I’d love to learn more about it if you can show something.

It’s ok to be wrong. I’m wrong all the time and so is pgabriel and everyone else in this thread. I have **** that I believe firmly to be true and then when I look at things I’m like “oh...well I guess that was kind of dumb to think”. Then I suck up my pride and learn from it and adjust.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

no, he has always been like this. the way he acts towards people who are critical of trump is the exact same way he acted towards people who were critical of obama. thats how i know his account wasnt hacked. he clearly just has a thing for authority figures and gets really defensive when people criticize them, no matter what their politcs are.

its just bizarre to me that someone could go from a hardcore obama defender to a hardcore trump defender.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.quora.com/How-many-Americans-starve-to-death-each-year

Number is extremely low, but it happens.

In a country of 325,000,000 to think that it wouldn't happen at minnimum through some fluke with a weirdo loner living in a cabin in the woods or some psycho starving their elderly disabled relative to death dosen't seem plausible to me.

Many people, many ways to die.

Also, apparently CDC doesn't track starvation/malnutrition deaths.

Finally, USA is the original home of mass death by pellegra. It's a malnutrition disease, not starvation, but the original mass epidemic of pellegra occurred in the USA in the 20th century thanks to poor people and nutritional deficits with corn/maize.

#145 Ottomaton, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I posted studies showing that hunger and malnourishment were a problem.

Here's a different one just for variety.
    https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-hunger-us

You are also correct that childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes (the only type that can be caused by diet) are also problems. There is no doubt about that.

It is true that both problems can exist at the same time.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It should not happeni its known someone is starving then a charity or govt organisation will step in

We have plenty of food andvare plenty charitable. If someone's off the grid the first problem is they're off the grid

Foodstamps. Case closed

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro i dont care
    I said the french revolution was about ththeththe income gap.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have a thing for peaceful prosperous presidencies

I defend trump not being a Russian spy rapist.

Im right

Just in this thread i said i was against the tax cuts. Its his signature legislation. I just didn't think the cuts were a big deal but was wrong about the corporate taxes

Thats where the deficit growth is

#149 pgabriel, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When people talk about starvation when they talk about 3rd world countries it's due to a lack of food caused by extreme poverty, when it happens in the US it is due to negligent parents not feeding infants. I feel like that distinction needs to be made. Starvation due to poverty is something that essentially does not exist in the US.....obesity is the major problem among the poor, not hunger.

cml750 and pgabriel like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You're right. It should not "happeni" but it does.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Hunger and Obesity are two problems. They both exist. If you're claiming that the 40 million people in the United States are not significant, then you don't know what you are talking about.

No Worries likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I barely read or didn't read the responses. I am not sensitive. If you want to post stuff like this, have at it. I am simply stating that I recall you being a nicer poster years ago.

No Worries likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm flat out saying that there aren't 40 million Americans at risk of starvation. Now you can say that there are 40 million Americans who have to eat shitty food due to being poor, I'd believe that, but literal starvation is not a thing in America. It is far more likely that those poor people who have to eat shitty food due to being poor will end up obese due to the shitty food that is affordable for them.

Food is insanely cheap and even the poorest Americans are by global standards, wealthy. On top of that charity is abundant. Starvation simply isn't an issue in the US.

BruceAndre and cml750 like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that you are on to something here.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep. I forget the original age-of-retirement parameters, but when it was first enacted in the 1930s, the retirement age was something like 59, and the average age of mortality at that time was something like 50 years old. ie, they had structured it so that very few people would live to benefit from it.

Well, of course that changed. They keep raising the retirement age, but people keep living longer.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Hunger in America, another topic pgabs doesn't know **** about.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...1bf7847b375_story.html?utm_term=.2aa775c38f1a

We have an obesity problem in America. That includes the poor people:

If you are poor you are more likely to overweight than if you are rich. I am sure there are people that a starving, but I am guessing we have more people that are obese than starving.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's a little more analogous to health insurance or homeowner's insurance. Some medical procedures have a six- or seven-figure price tag, and some events on attached housing can damage multiple units, each with a five-figure claim that the original condo owner's policy will be liable for, and will cost more to pay out than they expect to collect in premiums. Auto insurers have a lot of places they can source parts and repairs from, there are all kinds of opportunities to minimize costs on claims payments, so a lot of times it's a much easier process and they typically just increase your premium.

20. dmoneybangbang

I see that quote go over countless heads...it says "..or invest..." How you get taxation is theft from that quote is due to lack of details.

mdrowe00 likes this.