1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McConnell Blames Entitlements, Not GOP, for Rising Deficits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 16, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Should be paying 70! And before you b****, I am one of them.

DD

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes that was a significant issue, but personal income tax receipts were up 6% (about 96 billion) with the tax cut. I'm curious what was responsible for the massive drop in corporate taxes considering the effective rate didn't drop by anywhere near that much. They dropped by about 31% (93 billion). Maybe it had something to do with the changes to depreciation...anyone have any idea?

I did some searching and found this

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/01...corporations-pay-effective-rate-corporate-tax
    http://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2017/12/15/effective-tax-rates-by-industry

"The ETR (Effective Tax Receipts), averaged across all industries (weighted by size of industry), declines from 21.2 percent to 9.2 percent in 2018. In 2023, after changes to various deductions under TCJA go into effect, the decline in rates is smaller, from 23.5 percent to 17.3 percent. By 2027, the drop is even smaller, from 22.9 percent to just 18.9 percent."

Maybe that explains it. So it really does drop the effective tax rate a very large amount for the first few years.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

45% of people pay no federal income tax.

BruceAndre likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And do you take any deductions? Did you protest the tax cuts by paying the old rates under Obama?

BruceAndre likes this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The high point of the US economy for the average American was in the 1960's and early seventies when the tax rates were much higher and the effective minimum wage was much higher. I suppose the high point for a small group of the rich Americans is now.

It was an amazing con job to convince so many folks with the type of economic indoctrination (voodoo economics per the moderate Republican Bush I) that more and more tax breaks for the rich would not lead to greater deficits but result in an economic boom which would trickle down to the average person.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thanks. When i worked in finance i never saw a coporation pay 36%.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My mother voted for Reagan in 80 on him cutting taxes. As a registered nurse she was paying well over 50%

There is nothing good about rates that high. Unfortunately Reagan cut alot of mentally ill health benefits as well as others but the welfare state in 70s had to be reduced

BruceAndre likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure you get that "rich people and corporations" don't pay taxes at the same rate as anyone else.....I mean, they pay nearly all of the taxes. Also, when you say that they don't pay at the same rate as anyone else, you do realize that 2/3 of people in the bottom tax bracket pay no taxes at all right? Most of them are in fact nothing but a burden because they get back more than they pay.

It just seems weird whining about those who pay nearly all of the taxes in this country and suggesting that they should pay even more.

BruceAndre likes this.
  9. Newlin

Newlin Member

You mean Jared Kushner? Or maybe Donald Trump?

justtxyank likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Will let you know when ****TARD Trump releases his taxes, or not at all.

DD

Deckard likes this.
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is a straw mans argument. Its the prisoners dilemma. If you pay and no else does than the net effect of you paying is equal to 0. The effective tax rate for top 1% is 23.7%

#51 Air Langhi, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Rocket River and Nook like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol what? I was asking you if you paid more taxes since you thought you should be paying more.

13. HTM

HTM Member

No, I imagine they pay some federal income tax, though assuredly not as much as you'd like, for the Dems its never enough.

14. dmoneybangbang

Yea... it’s smart for Trump and Kushner to pay less through taking advantage of the system while the middle class and working class stand to loose entitlements.

Glad you are rooting for Trump the Blue Collar billionaire...

15. dmoneybangbang

They pay nearly all the taxes because they are getting most of the income/revenue....

“Them” paying less means the middle class and working class will have to pay more or lose benefits. “Them” can afford to pay more.

16. dmoneybangbang

Yep...they did the same with ACA... intentionally make it not work and then say, “see!”.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He just seemed like he felt like he should be paying more so I figured I’d ask.

Also, are you sure that figure is correct? I think it’s significantly higher.

https://taxfoundation.org/high-inco...e-16-times-higher-low-income-households-2010/

That’s an old link but the effective rate was close to 30% then for the top 1%.

#57 robbie380, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The top 5% of households, three quarters of whom had two income earners, had incomes of $166,200

They Call it 'starving the beast'

Underfund it and then over regulate it until it fails
    then point to a properly funded and non regulated alternative as an example of private being better

Rocket River

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You say they are getting most of the income like they didn't earn.

We all wannabe rich. Dont hate the ones that get there.

We all have the right to vote, one man obe vote despite what we pay. Your vote counts as much as Trump.

Poor people could get more out of the wealthy if they simply voted

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

[​IMG]