1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCain's Spiritual Guide calls for the destruction of Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

McCain’s association with these hate groups disguised as christian organizations is very troubling and should be explored further. The last thing we need is another president that must bow down at the alter of conservative hate.

--------------

McCain's Spiritual Guide: Destroy Islam

On February 26, McCain appeared at a campaign rally in Cincinnati with the Reverend Rod Parsley of the World Harvest Church of Columbus, a supersize Pentecostal institution that features a 5,200-seat sanctuary, a television studio (where Parsley tapes a weekly show), and a 122,000-square-foot Ministry Activity Center. That day, a week before the Ohio primary, Parsley praised the Republican presidential front-runner as a "strong, true, consistent conservative." The endorsement was important for McCain, who at the time was trying to put an end to the lingering challenge from former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, a favorite among Christian evangelicals. A politically influential figure in Ohio, Parsley could also play a key role in McCain's effort to win this bellwether state in the general election. McCain, with Parsley by his side at the Cincinnati rally, called the evangelical minister a "spiritual guide."

The leader of a 12,000-member congregation, Parsley has written several books outlining his fundamentalist religious outlook, including the 2005 Silent No More. In this work, Parsley decries the "spiritual desperation" of the United States, and he blasts away at the usual suspects: activist judges, civil libertarians who advocate the separation of church and state, the homosexual "culture" ("homosexuals are anything but happy and carefree"), the "abortion industry," and the crass and profane entertainment industry. And Parsley targets another profound threat to the United States: the religion of Islam.

In a chapter titled "Islam: The Deception of Allah," Parsley warns there is a "war between Islam and Christian civilization." He continues:

I cannot tell you how important it is that we understand the true nature of Islam, that we see it for what it really is. In fact, I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore.

Parsley is not shy about his desire to obliterate Islam. In Silent No More, he notes—approvingly—that Christopher Columbus shared the same goal: "It was to defeat Islam, among other dreams, that Christopher Columbus sailed to the New World in 1492…Columbus dreamed of defeating the armies of Islam with the armies of Europe made mighty by the wealth of the New World. It was this dream that, in part, began America." He urges his readers to realize that a confrontation between Christianity and Islam is unavoidable: "We find now we have no choice. The time has come." And he has bad news: "We may already be losing the battle. As I scan the world, I find that Islam is responsible for more pain, more bloodshed, and more devastation than nearly any other force on earth at this moment."

Parsley claims that Islam is an "anti-Christ religion" predicated on "deception." The Muslim prophet Muhammad, he writes, "received revelations from demons and not from the true God." And he emphasizes this point: "Allah was a demon spirit." Parsley does not differentiate between violent Islamic extremists and other followers of the religion:

There are some, of course, who will say that the violence I cite is the exception and not the rule. I beg to differ. I will counter, respectfully, that what some call "extremists" are instead mainstream believers who are drawing from the well at the very heart of Islam.

http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2008/03/john-mccain-rod-parsley-spiritual-guide.html

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

anyone who thinks our nation has "a divine purpose" is absolutely equivalent to the extreme mullahs he denounces. Yikes.

But hey, better for a candidate to have friends like this in the months running up to the presidency than to have once set foot in a school as a child that was not even associated with radical Islam... I mean, right?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

IMHO this guy has missed the whole overarching point and purpose of the Gospel he preaches from. I find that sad and tragic in umpteen different ways.

Allah was a demon spirit?? There were Christians calling God the Father, Allah, before the Koran was ever written. Arab Christians still call God, Allah. Wake up and smell the history channel.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

If the guy thinks Islam is a sham, I wonder what he thinks of the two religions it is based on.

The guy should read up on the Crusades; hell he should read up on the Gospel. I cannot emphasize how much asshats like him make me ashamed of being Christian.

5. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

Hopefully people like him shouldn't make you feel ashamed-it's not about him it's about our Savior.
    Peace

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, no, since most of the founding fathers thought likewise. and until he starts blowing **** up it's not the same level of hatitude.

sorry, but you're off the mc mark.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the mullahs don't actually get involved in blowing **** up. they call for others to.

8. basso

Supporting Member

details, baby, details.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So basso can I assume that you agree with Pastor Parsley that Islam needs to be destroyed?

10. basso

Supporting Member

no, i think some of it's adherents need to stop using it as justification for blowing **** up.

11. insane man

insane man Member

well people like mccain's spiritual guide disagree. why do you support folks like this?

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We have a divine purpose to help all of humanity improve their lives and ... what?... oh...

Sorry. :(

;)

13. basso

Supporting Member

why did Obama choose a racist demagogue to be his pastor?

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

What this guy says is inexcusable. That being said, there's a huge difference between the man you call your pastor and the man who pastors a church that hosts a political rally and you praise while you're there.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If I could press a button and Islam would just leave the Earth I would do it in a second.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

you guys is forgetting that basso was FOR the destruction of muslims before he was retroactively against it, after he was killed on 9-11.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His pastor hasn't said anything racist. He said something stupid, but not racist.

18. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

McCain's a r****d and his fellow republicans are r****ds for nominating him.

19. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

So now we know that both McCain and Obama are listening to pastors who say stupid things. What has Clinton's pastor said lately? I am just kidding; I don't really want to know.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

This doesn't necessarily reflect on McCain, the man, himself or his personal beliefs. I really hate this "gotcha!" stuff from all sides. I doesn't think McCain is that 'spiritual' to begin with, and I strongly doubt that he's a hardened Islamophobe.

Oh well, it must be the political season...