1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mc mark, and other actors in NY

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gascon, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

mc mark,

You may be the only other actor in NY on this board, but I've got a question for ya.

What do you know about Robert Kim? I'm thinking about going to him for headshots, as I desperately need new shots before I can really start hitting the pavement hard and auditioning. I've heard mixed things.

My reasons for choosing him are these:

He's gone to a completely digital format.
    With that, you get as many shots taken as you and he feel are necessary.
    You get your three shots you want to keep on a CD, which makes the reproductions cheaper, and posting your resume on the internet that much easier.
    He's known.
    A friend of mine does the touch-up work for him, and will do it for me for free.

What I'm worried about:

A lot of his shots seem a little "posey", if that makes sense, and I've always preferred a shot that looks a little more natural.
    I hear he's really eccentric, which can be good or bad depending on how they react to you.

It's not a decision I'm taking lightly, as $600 dollars is a fortune for me that wasn't easy to get together.

What do you think?

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Well you certainly seem to know a lot more about him than I do. And to be honest, I don't know his work. But you can always ask to see his book. I took a look at his website and his shots are a bit "stagey" but that's not really a bad thing. Depends on what you're going for. It looks to me that he is geared more toward TV/film than stage photography.

The price is very reasonable for what you are getting. A few of the photographers I do know charge in the $750-$1000 range. I'd say go for it!

If you want to try and save some money; I do know another photographer that did mine a couple of times in the past. He's really nice and does a good job and he would have no problem letting you look at his book. He's more of a fashion/art photographer but he does a good headshot too. I think his prices are around $350 these days. But he keeps the negatives so I'm not sure if that's a way you would want to go.

I can recommend a good reproduction company if you need one.

3. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thanks,

I think it's the norm for the photographer to keep the negatives. I'm definitely interested in trying to get film/television work, the money's just too good to pass up. My real love is for the stage, but I think someone like Kim who, at the very least, takes a good photo will be fine for stage auditions. Plus, his work is recognized and I think most casting directors will take it more as "a Kim photo" rather than a "stagey" photo. At least I hope so. :(

Besides, I can always ask and see if he'd be willing to go for a more "natural" kind of look. It's the eccentricity that worries me there.

Oh, well. I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks so much for your input.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Welcome to NYC, Gascon.

I just started assisting at a talent agancy,

and I am getting advice as well as to where to get some decent headshots.

Two of my friends recommended Tim LAmpson, he does outside/natural light photography and that seems to be very popular right now.

mc mark, I need to e-mail you. this is crazy, but are you represented?
    I think I might have just started at the agancy you are with.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

check your email 110

6. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thanks, 110.

I'm actually a little wary of the "outside" fad. I'm spending enough money that I'd like something a little more permanent. I will look into it, though. Thanks for the tip! :)

ps Make sure to tell your agency you know someone brilliant that they should look at. I mean me. No seriously.....

;) :D