1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mbah a Moute: I don’t trust my shoulder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 15, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn't see your answer, but I'll assume you don't consider him one of our top 5 players. In which case, the argument is moot.

In case you did consider him one of our top 5 players, that means you think we can't win a championship. I don't agree with the idea that a team capable of winning 65 games is incapable of winning a championship.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

tbh the goal post is moved every single season because of how much Capela improves, it's kinda funny

harold bingo likes this.
  3. noppeper

noppeper Member

Hopefully you will have time, because I noticed that as well in game 2, although it was only when watching the live game, so I don't know how exactly frequent it was.

The Harden/Capela connection has been a focal point of GSW's defense, and the Rockets took advantage of that gravity in game 2. I also agree that if GSW adjusts to our shooters, the lob will make its return. Otherwise, we will continue to shoot 3s and attack with Paul/Gordon/Ariza/PJ. However, GSW might take their chances again next game and bet on PJ and Ariza not having the same production.

In any case, offense will probably be fine throughout the series; the question is whether the Rockets can stop GS consistently after they make their adjustments. Right now Curry not making those insane 3 pointers from the hip with 4 hands on his face is a big factor in what is happening.

And to keep on topic, LMM should not play if injured, period. Just means Ariza being on the court for long minutes is even more important, so he has to be aware of the way the game is being called and perhaps hold back a bit on the pushing, holding and pulling he generally does, especially on screens and off the ball defense.

heypartner likes this.
  4. basketballholic

So far, in the paint this series,

The Rockets are 50 for 82 (61%).
    The Warriors are 47 for 69 (68%).

This is now a best of 5 series and the Warriors have home court advantage.

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  5. basketballholic

I said he was sixth....at best.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The paint is not the same as the restricted area. Durant shoots jumpers in the paint.

Restricted area is essentially layups and dunks. Hey, don't try so hard here to argue this point, which is clear on video. I'm providing good news. It's obvious Draymond is neutralizing himself on defensive by trying too hard to take Capela out of the game....and providing no rim protection.

88% shooting -- 51-54 in the restricted area against the Hampton 5 is the indicator.

But besides the difference between your stat and the restricted area stat, the point is that Draymond is not protecting the rim, due to our simple use of moving Capela to short corner, and Draymond game-planning to box him out agressively, and not get embarrassed by alley-oops.

imso, Draymond's ego to stop all Capela oops is hurting the Worriers.

#166 heypartner, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I still would like to see more minutes for our own Death lineup.

Rim protection against a jump shooting happy team like GSW is almost useless when there second option is go to the basket.

I would rather entice Curry to drive then have him shoot.

8. heypartner

Yes, we are neutralizing Draymond's rim defense with both the Capela/PJ lineup and the PJ/Gordon Lineup.

You can see it in his eyes how frustrated he is an not being able to help without leaving a deadly option.

Deuce likes this.
  9. basketballholic

The paint is the key area. Because of the backboard and incidents of reflection a ten footer in the paint is a better shot than a 5 footer on the baseline. You're also not including turnovers and shooting fouls.

Two games in.
    5 game series left.
    Home court advantage Warriors.
    And the Warriors haven't gotten the shoot from 3 so far. It's going to come. They're going to get hot.

They're attacking out defenders high, driving them low and then they are settling for long 2's. Warriors had a ton of long 2's last game. They're not going to keep doing that. If we keep fading off their dribble they're gonna go outside and drill us. Then when we respond tight on the shooters which we absolutely have to do to have any chance......they will then go inside and murder us.

Warriors simply played into our defense and took bad shots last game. That won't continue. Clint, PJ, and whoever else are finally going to have to patrol the paint without help. We'll see how they do.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

How will it not continue? They did the same against the Pelicans when given single coverage on Durant. Rockets are an actual team who won't trip on their own feet during transition ala the Pelicans.

Houston's defense is great when they are disciplined.

They got open shots last game due to Capela/others being late on some switches.

11. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, this use of "we" and "our" when you're referring to the Rockets needs to stop. Those terms are reserved for real fans of the team, not guys like you who have other teams players as their avatar and constantly rag on Rockets players.

12. heypartner

Draymond is providing no rim protection. You can see it. It's plan as day in Game 2. I don't know why you are arguing this, as it's necessary analysis to understand what GSW is doing as a game plan, and how it isn't working.

The 51 out 54 shots at the rim vs Hampton 5 indicates it.

BigMaloe, Deuce and DavidRocket like this.
  13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

When I first read his quote I thought he was taking up for Clint. Clint has been playing like a borderline all star this post season. Not sure what he is saying. They don't run plays through him, not that he can't make them. Dwight before coming to Houston was one of the top players in the league and we didn't run plays through him either.

He does his job very well for what system we are running.

14. MyLateRegistration

Capela didn't have a block in game 2. He been so freaking soft.

15. basketballholic

It won't continue because the Warriors shooters are too good. We will finally have to face guard everybody which leaves Capela defending a spot up shooter or dealing with multiple cutters in the paint with Draymond or Durant making the play against him.

The series is going to come down to us defending Durant and Green at the 4/5. How do you do it?

PJ and Capela?

PJ takes Green......Durant torches Capela. PJ takes Durant? Durant shoots right over him. And Green cleans everything up and destroys Capela.

So then what? Capela out. Bring in a small. And PJ and one of Ariza/Harden/Gordon/Paul takes Durant and Green. How does that look? Better? Yes. It looks better. That's the best we can do. Sit Capela down. And go with Paul, Gordon, Harden, PJ, and Ariza. Will it be enough? Doubt it. But it's the best we can do.

This series will come down to our interior defense.

cdxiong likes this.
  16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

You might be one of the dumbest people I have ever met on the internet.

Your ratio of post volume to post quality/intellect is approaching infinity.

csj, hakeem94, kubli9 and 2 others like this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just rewatched game 2, and you’re completely correct on this. So many open drives for Harden due to Green guarding against the lob or dump off to Capela.

18. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Let's get a prayer for Luc's shoulder.

saleem likes this.
  19. heypartner

Yeah, and you can also see his frustration against our Small Ball lineup, too. He takes PJ. You can see him frustrated he can't come help.

Two times he's on perimeter when Ariza gets his clear-sailing dunks (one from a drive, and one from a SLOB play). One time, when Paul "breaks" Curry's ankle, Draymond came to help, and Paul dished to PJ for a slam trailing behind Draymond's help. Then you have the PJ 3s, where Draymond is itching to help in the lane.

We have him very frustrated. I expect either he convinces Kerr to change the defense, or he starts cheating even more, because his ego can't stand not getting more involved in the defense.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

man it would be huuuuge for us if he is back to being healthy...

saleem likes this.