1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayweather vs McGregor in boxing match - are you buying?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, May 19, 2016.

?

Will you buy a Mayweather-McGregor boxing PPV?

1. YES.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. NO.

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm sure you have heard the rumors. With both teasing their fan bases over the past few days. Are you buying the PPV if it happens?

I think its about as big a mismatch as you can get in boxing. Broner would probably be a tougher boxer for Floyd than Conor. And if it happens, it just proves that Mayweather takes 0 risk. BUT this fight will be huge. I will be buying just for the spectacle. The hype and lead up to the fight will be fun.

2. sew

sew Member

Conor's legacy already took a hit with his loss to Diaz. If he fights Mayweather in a boxing match he will get embarrassed even further. I do not think it would be a good idea for his brand to take this fight.

Would I watch? Absolutely.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

In a boxing match no... The only reason I want to see Floyd fight an MMA fighter is to see someone get their hands on him. Give me Mayweather vs McGregor in an MMA fight and you can have all my money.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Won't happen, PR bullsh

5. what

what Member

Well, Mayweather just offered Mcgregor 50 million to fight him.

Problem is, that the only way Mayweather does this deal is if he can do it WITHOUT dana white involvement, which only feeds him on ego.

I don't think Mayweather cares one way or the other about the fight, he just wants to prove that he alone is better than the UFC.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If its boxing Mcgregor will get knocked out in a round or two. If its MMA I don't see floyd doing it. However if Mayweather trained for it he would be a better MMA fighter than McGregor. He is much faster and more athletic at least he was when he was younger.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Probably doesn't mean much bit Jalen Rose said on his show that this fight will for sure happen and he has been right on plenty of things that seemed crazy before... It makes sense for everyone imo.

McGregor gets to get paid, Floyd gets another mega fight, Dana will get his cut since Connor is still under contract... I think there is to much money at stake for them to pass on it. That being said I still think a boxing match between the two is kinda weak, I mean there is no chance Mcgregor wins. I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd pays him to take the loss, it would get Connor ready for his future in WWE lol

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Agree that whatever style they fight, the guy who normally fights in that style is gonna win (but like you said, no way Floyd attempts a UFC match)

But I totally disagree with the bolded. I think you need a different mentality to be an MMA fighter, a mentality Floyd doesn't have.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Floyd Mayweather is a boxer, not a fighter. He is merely playing a sport, and going about it in the best manner possible to win at that sport. He can get in and out without sustaining damage, he doesn't actually need to knock anybody out to win. There's nobody on the planet of a comparable size that can beat Mayweather in a boxing match.

In a fight Mayweather would get crushed.

10. sew

sew Member

Later in GSP's reign, he was very much a point fighter, just like Floyd. I think he could have had success.

You don't necessarily have to have the 'fighter's mentality,' to succeed in MMA. You can score points and take minimal damage if you're good enough. GSP, Okami, Fitch, Askren, etc all come to mind.

Problem is - if you fight like this in the UFC, you won't be getting any love from Uncle Dana.

11. cebu

cebu Member

On Comedy Channel, yes..