1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayweather vs. Guerrero

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by EssTooKayTD, May 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

2. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

3. VanityHalfBlack

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You're putting substance behind your posts so even though I don't agree I will be happy to engange in a conversation. I think Floyd is the greatest fighter of this era. Like i mentioned earlier, BHop definitely has an arguement and I think Andre Ward will finish with one as well.

To get to the crux of your arguement we have to assign weights to that fight. The guy who gave Floyd the most trouble was JLC. I think Leonard did everything better, Duran is a tough one and would depend on the weight class, Hearns would have hurt Floyd bad and possibly be the only guy who would stop him, Hagler would probably bully him around the ring but there's a chance Floyd takes a decision.

I have Floyd in my top 20 but he's not the best of all time. Pernell Whitaker is a much better pure boxer then Floyd is. That's certainly not a knock, that's just my opinion. i'd put Lankford and Burley in the top 10 as well. It's hard for me to get Floyd there no matter what he does. Amazing fighter, just not top 10 imo.

Respect your opinion though.

5. King1

How do you feel about your hero fighting a smaller dude coming off a loss? What a joke Manny has become.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Mental Illness creeping up to King1? This dude still emotional distraught over the Calzaghe joke I posted earlier.. Hey dumbass , use the mutli-quote button up top next time, lol.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'll admit, i may subscribe too heavily to "nobody's ever been able to solve floyd's defense, so i'm going to go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt and assume nobody before him would have been able to either", but i can't talk myself out of it.

hard to argue that whitaker wasn't a better pure boxer, but i think the style of floyd's domination (and his swag, while we're at it) is his own worst enemy in terms of his spot in history (in the public's eye). as great as whitaker was defensively, i just can't make a case for it to be possible for anybody to have been better defensively than floyd. he has adjusted to every style of offense and makes his opponents look amateurish to the extent that he's going to retire with everybody wondering how good he even was offensively.

it's a shame manny (while he could still fight) never faced him. would have done wonders for people's view of him.

respect your opinion too. good post.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not sure why Mayweather fans get so defensive and let the "boring" talk upset them. Think about, you're upset because somebody else doesn't like what you liked. That's like being upset when someone doesn't like the same movie or TV show as you. It's silly. They're trying to troll you anyways. Calling him boring is not going to change your view of him and it doesn't make him any less of a great boxer.

As for that Pacquiao-Rios fight, I know people will give him **** for fighting a guy coming off a loss, both guys coming off a loss, but what does he have to prove? It's not like he goes around saying he's the greatest. He's been at the top, he's been at the bottom. He's knocked dudes out and he's been KTFO. I think this is an awesome action fight. If you don't like this fight, I guess you don't like fun lol

Sucks for Alvarado, but he'll eventually get that fight, not many top rank options at WW. Seriously though, I think old man Bob Arum put it best:

9. King1

Like I mentioned before, I get a good laugh out of making you angry. You're not the sharpest tool in the shed so I should probably feel bad but I have to admit I don't. I could careless about Calzaghe or your "fake joke" that you're using to try and save face. You need a brisk walk. Your hero isn't what you thought and that hurts your feelings far more then I could ever do. I'll pass on multi-quote. I don't spend my life on message boards like you do

10. King1

And that's fair because Floyd is a victim of his competition. People like to give him a hard time but then ask them who is out there that they'd consider a legit opponent and you see a blank stare. He took out Hatton while he was undefeated, fought DLH at 54, took on Shane coming off his blowout of Margs, didn't weight drain Cotto and stood in the pocket with him, and now fought Ghost who was logical. We all knew it would be an easy fight but who else is out there? Khan or Alexander? Guerrero was as deserving as either of those two. If he fights Khan, Garcia and Canelo then he's doing the best he can. GBP isn't going to stick him in with Lara and nor should they.

The funny thing with Floyd is he was Whitaker before he realized he had to put on an act and get away from Arum to be a big box office draw. He's as smart a businessman as you'll find and nowhere near what the media believes him to be in terms of attitude. We disagree on whitaker and Floyd but that's cool. Whitaker is the best defensive fighter I've ever seen. He embarrassed DLH and JCC in their primes only to be robbed. Check this fight out again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-WpCfKja4

Amazing performance. I'm a big meldrick Taylor guy too.

Manny didn't want to take a drug test. He walked away from 40 million when he was getting 20 million dollar advances between fights. They're both culpable after that but the fight was buried once Manny took the bs route the first time. For what it's worth, I don't think Manny could have ever won more then three rounds against Floyd. Morales picked him apart in their first fight.

Thanks. Good having quality boxing fans discussing fights.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

i just watched (re-watched). hardly embarrassed him. much closer than the judges' scorecards, and i pretty much agree with lederman's scorecard for the fight. de la hoya by a little, but, it does have to be noted that this is de la hoya at his best, and sweet pea at the end of his career. would have manhandled him in his prime for sure.

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

You guys see Matthysse this past week? Mang!