1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayweather vs. Guerrero

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by EssTooKayTD, May 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, best pound for pound fighter of all time. most people who understand boxing would agree.

i'm sure you don't understand boxing much outside of KO's. that makes you unqualified to engage in this debate, but you can feel free to list any that you think are better.

this is all coming from somebody (me) who doesn't even like floyd's schtick. not a fan, i just am fully aware of how effing unbelievable and untouchable he is.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

yup, and there's no way to beat it into their stubborn minds and make them understand. you either get it (have a solid understanding of the sweet science) or you don't.

3. VanityHalfBlack

It's called a joke dumbass. Bhop/whitaker and Pep,lol dude you try to pull all these names like you the know the sport. Victor Ortiz things Floyd got K.O power, lol.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

At the end of the day, p4p list are all opinion anyways so I won't argue your opinion. Still highly disagree though but who cares. And most boxing historians wouldn't even have Floyd or Manny crack the top 20, sorry.

This is my problem though. Just because somebody doesn't see it the way you do, means they don't know boxing :confused:? So quick to go that route. I would say I'm one of the bigger and more knowledgeable boxing fans on this basketball site. I'd go as far to say I watch more boxing on a weekly basis than anyone here (not proud). So if you ask me what do I prefer to watch, I'm going with the action fighter that believes its just as important to entertain the fans, as it is to win the fight.

Sick of all this elitist boxing talk. "Oh you thought it was boring, you don't know boxing!" Shut up with that nonsense. Brawls and KOs are just as part of boxing as defense first. Dudes only come out the woodwork for a Mayweather fight and now everyone is a boxing expert LOL. Now folks are butt hurt because others didnt cream over this fight. Calm down, we don't all have the same interest.

I can appreciate the sweet science. Guys like Floyd, Rigo and Andre Ward are great, highly skilled fighters. But I'm much more entertained by the likes of Brandon Rios, Leo Santa Cruz or Lucas Matthysse who go all out in the ring. Now you may not agree, but I'm not going to sit here and be a douchebag and call you a casual fan (yes, Mayweather fans are just as "casual" as the guys they hate, manny fans) or say you don't know boxing.

Everybody has their own opinion and preference. No one is anymore right than the other. I personally didnt think that fight was boring, nor was it a memorable classic. But I'm not going to crucify the people that did think it was boring or didnt. Not everyone can enjoy that style. Just like how not everyone enjoys Hip Hop or Sarah Palin or Pitbulls or the Walking Dead. I know, strange but it happens.

But don't mind me, I'm just a simpleton that wants to see guys punching each other in the face :rolleyes:. Hate those casual fans all you want, but they are the reason why a guy like Floyd makes $30M guaranteed. Funny because a lot of these boxing elitist are at home watching an illegal stream.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's just ignorant. floyd would be on every single top 20 list of anybody with a reasonable boxing knowledge. every single one. i don't remember talking about manny...could care less where you or anybody has him ranked.

pot calling the kettle black much? how quickly you forget and ignore the obnoxious post of yours that i initially replied to.

i never said he was the most entertaining fighter, which for some reason your long post migrated towards. i said he was the best. let me hammer it home one more time: he has fought 44 times, and has never really been hit. that's not a fluke, and that's not something that we have seen from any other fighter in the history of boxing. what more does he need to do? he has literally mastered the art of boxing.

you admitted that you think the best boxers are the ones who get in there and brawl like morons. sorry, you are wrong. those are the ones who you are the biggest fans of and enjoy watching the most. that's fine, but never confuse that with "the best boxer". boxing is a sport with a scoring system. nobody in the history of the sport has mastered it past the level that floyd has. it isn't possible.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Never been hit?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/woY0AkVvoXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, that's the highlight that everybody shows. it's easy to pick out out of 44 fights because, well, it's basically the only hard punch he's ever taken. he then went on to dismantle mosely for the remaining 10 rounds.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

It's so easy to get under your skin. I have forgotten more about boxing then you could ever hope to know. Keep praying to your Manny hair doll little guy

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You are absolutely clueless. Find me a few respected boxing journalists who have Floyd in their top 10. This is coming from probably Floyd's biggest supporter on this board.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

any "respected journalist who doesn't have him in their top 10 is more than likely a stuffy, biased, dinosaur (picture harold lederman) who loads their list up with boxers of the 30's and 40's, who is sickened by floyd and his crew's act, and is on their knees praying before every fight that he will finally lose and get humbled.

they are living in yesteryear and aren't evolving with the sport. much like tennis analysts who don't realize that the federers, nadals, djokovics, andy murrays, would make mincemeat of the borgs, ashes, lavers, connors, mcenroes. sports evolve and, while i agree that all you can do is be the best in your era, that doesn't mean that there aren't situations where you can easily assess who was better across generations.

roberto duran, sugar ray leonard, anybody in a black in white picture that your "respected analysts" want to teach us is an all-time great: none of them would have been able to touch floyd, and he would have systematically destroyed them like he has every other boxer who he's faced.

it's tough to appreciate all-time greatness while it's happening. my guess is that he rises towards the very top of lists as decades go by.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

that's fine, you think Floyd is the greatest. It's your opinion. Like i said, I'm not going to argue YOUR list, it's pointless. List like that are all opinions anyway, no right or wrong answer. The whole point of my post wasn't even about Floyd. But ok, I don't know boxing because I don't agree with YOU that Floyd is the greatest. Because you know everything :rolleyes:

Umm what? I think you have your head so far up Mayweathers ass that you couldn't comprehend my post. The majority of my post wasn't even about Floyd, but more about douchebag fanboys who only come out during Mayweather fights and get butt hurt that others don't enjoy the fight as much as they did. Never discredited him or said he wasn't a great fighter. You don't have to slobber Floyd so much to me, I respect his skills.

Again, more reading comprehension FAIL (I can help you with that if you want). Where did I say those were the best boxers? I said those are the type of fighters that I PREFER TO WATCH. Never said they were the best boxers. Don't know where you got that from... :confused:

Of course you call those type of fighters, morons. Reminds me of Lin only fans who hate on Beverly to prop up Lin. Smh

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I haven't watched boxing long enough to comment on who is the GOAT, but I've watched a ton of boxing (FNF, Showtime and HBO almost weekly fights) and of course YouTubing fights while trying to keep in mind highlight vids aren't the best evidence of anything. I have, however, managed to graduate from seeing Floyd's fights as boring to watching Saturday's fight and exclaiming, "Damn, he's so good, and still DAMN fast."

Now, I do think part of this was his competition. They all have a decent game plan, but the longer a flight goes, the more and more Floyd picks them apart and has them figured out.

Yes, there are more entertaining fighters. It is hard to knock Mayweather for his fight this past Saturday though. He was more aggressive than had to be in my opinion.

Did I get 70 bucks worth? Ya maybe, because the undercards were the most entertaining I've seen in a long time.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

has nothing to do with poor reading comprehension. it's logical deduction.

on one hand you say that you know what an unbelievable tactician floyd is, on the other you have more respect for action fighters who care more about entertaining the fans (thereby implying that you think that floyd's style is a bore) than they do winning. stuff like that clouds, if not completely discredits your judgment and leads you to say things like "Lol wut? Best fighter that ever lived? one of the most ridiculous statements I ever heard. You can see he's the best of his era, but all time? Hahahahahahaha wow".

on one hand you want to make the claim that you don't think that "great" and "(what you consider) entertaining" are both requirements to be placed on the GOAT shortlist, but, reading between the lines, it's obvious that's precisely what you think. so, while you find a place for prince naseem hamed at the top of your list, i'll keep floyd locked on mine.

also, forgot to mention...love how you referred to us "elitist boxing fans" immediately after boasting about how you are one of the most knowledgeable boxing fans on the site and watch more boxing than everybody.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

here we go again. You assumptions are off and you're basically putting words in my mouth. Never said I had more respect for action fighters, all I said was those who I prefer to watch. that is all, it doesn't go deeper than that. Seems like you are so insecure about Floyd that you are reading too much into this. I respect all fighters equally because they get in the ring. I just like watching action fighters more. Is that so bad? It's possible to respect a person, while not being a fan.

Yes, I'm not a fan of that style. So what? Just like you are not a fan of action fighters. Nothing wrong with either. I can watch it, because I love boxing. Do I think he's the most boring? Nope. I don't agree that he's the greatest ever which prompted that reply I had. But its your opinion so maybe it was a bit harsh, if you were hurt, I apologize.

Didn't make claims about any list. Again, I'm not even arguing about a GOAT list. I made one comment about that, one! In fact, I could care less about some imaginary list. What does a pretend list, do for me, as a boxing fan? Absolutely nothing. I don't care about imaginary rankings or how much money guys make, I just want to see a good fight.

Yes, because I didn't agree with you and laughed at you're statement, you think "I don't understand boxing and am not qualified to enter this discussion" LOL

What type of logic is that? You don't see me in boxing threads, getting all b****y and throwing out the "you don't know **** about boxing" card because somebody doesn't agree with my opinion. You know why? Because its all your own opinion. If somebody thinks Arturo Gatti was a moron or boring, who am I to tell them what to like and what to think? Everybody is different, deal with it. We are all just sharing our respective thoughts here. No need to act holier than thou.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

ummm.....

u be insane bro. take care.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I personally thought he lost that first fight to castillo. He came back and won the second one.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Buffalo Wild Wings showed it for free, we got there about 8 and got front row parking and seats at the bar, awesome...

Guerrero had his chances, just never pulled the trigger and kept letting Mayweather hit him with the right...

Mayweather is so quick and fast, elusive, regardless of age...Wish it was a better fight

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Boring ass floyd, just punching people in the head with a right hand lead and using spectacular reaction time to evade the counter, what a boring boring guy! He needs to stand in there and get hit in the face!

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The guys defense is so fun to watch. He is hard to score on.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The only skill that Mayweather has that is the best skill of all time is running away and the second best is blocking punches with his shoulders. That's about it. :eek:

Is that what the people want? No.
    Is it boring? Maybe.
    Does he win? Yes.