1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao for May 5th fight

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tmactoyao, Jan 10, 2012.

1. SunsRocketsfan

From the other thread.. Dei has still failed to produce a single boxer who he calls a higher caliber opponent for Floyd.

He even agreed that Cotto is a great fighter in a later post and that Mayweather could potentially fight him next cause he's a worthy opponent. Well guess what? Pacquiao already fought and BEAT Cotto.

I am still waitiing on a response on who Mayweather has fought that is even in Cotto's caliber? Hopefully he will respond this time :) and hopefully he can do it without using google to see who Floyd has fought. The reason why you can't think of any big name fighters outside the ones that they both beat is because he hasnt beaten any big name boxers outside of Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, DeLaHoya.

In addition to the 4 boxers above... As mentioned by another poster above already Pacuqiao has beaten Cotto, Margarito and Clottey

Waiting for Dei to fill in the blank for 3 fighters that are high caliber boxers for Floyd ______ _________ _________

Hopefully that will put an end to the ridiculous statement that Floyd has fought better competition.

I don't think how anyone can take Dei seriously if he claims Mayweather has fought better opponents. That simply is not true

2. SunsRocketsfan

lol.. there wasnt anything to reply to... on the other hand you made a BOLD STATEMENT now BACK IT UP with some facts.

You made a statement that Pacquiao fought Floyds left overs and Floyd has fought higher caliber opponents. Now who are those opponents? We are all waiting for your answer. I will accept a response that you retract you statement and you didnt know what you were talking about. Otherwise I am done responding to you.

3. Mr. Space City

you can realistically dissect both fighters careers to prop up or bring down their overall record, so to argue who fought better fighters is pointless imo

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

We can easily sort out who is an idiot in this thread.

5. Dei

Dei Member

You see, this is the problem. Either you fail at reading comprehension or are trying to make a fallacious argument.

You quoted my reply to:

To which I said:

All of which is, of course, true. Mayweather beat DLH, Hatton, and Mosley, first. All big names. Pacquiao fought them all after Mayweather beat them.

Of the fighters Pacquiao beat that weren't Mayweather's leftovers, Cotto and Margarito were fresh off big losses. Cotto had his first loss against Margarito. Margarito was beaten by Mosley then had his license revoked and Pacquiao was his comeback.

And I didn't even mention that Pacquiao fought at catch-weights.

So, to restate my argument: I don't find it solid reasoning to say a guy has fought superior competition to another when his wins were against that guy's left-overs and some fighters with *'s on them.

Your burden is to point out what part of this is untrue. See how logic works?

That said, the answer to your question can be implied from what I've already said: that Mayweather beat Hatton, DLH and Mosley under better circumstances.

6. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Floyd's opponent were mostly questionable because he's too picky. His last fight was no doubt another empty win. He has the potential to be the greatest of all times but he's not taking advantage to grab it.

And the funny thing about it is Floyd's fans are blindly using that 'potential' to argue that he's the greatest. Floyd has not proven anything yet that he's the best. He could have fought Cotto and other big names before their primes but it didn't happen. He can fight Sergio now to seal his legacy but that's not gonna happen either.

Money is calling out Manny now for money.

7. what

what Member

anybody that thinks pac can win don't know boxing. i'm the biggest gayweather hater, but even i know that pac don't have a chance.

at the same time though mayweather is striking manny when he is down which shows how big of a douchebag he is. and anybody that thinks he would have taken a pac fight after pac destroyed cotto is delusional.

you can point to all of the conditions you want. these were just excuses to make it so difficult for pac to agree to the fight so that he can say that he wanted the fight. show me the signed contract that he wanted the fight that was put in pac's hands. it don't exist.

point being, gayweather is a douche and manny's a legend. nough said.

8. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

corrected.

9. Mr. Space City

people really going to forget that utter domination over prime undefeated deigo corrales?

win over castillo who was the ring #1 LW in his first LW fight?

win over genaro hernandez who was the ring #1 super featherweight?

10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Mayweather fought De La Hoya and Mosley first. He also dominated Marquez and Manny could barely get the decision in his last fight.

11. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Both are great fighters. The obstacles are Arum and what we call the law. The May bout will be next to impossible at this point. June should suit both fighters fine. Also, T-Mac is my favorite current player (no one can beat his Airness). To compare him with PacMan in a derogatory way is just ridiculous.

12. Prince

Prince Member

it would be a big disgrace to the judge who let him go if Money fights somebody else...

13. Prince

Prince Member

Unanimous decision is barely?

Yes Manny struggled against one fighter but he destroyed DLH and dominated Mosley while Floyd won one via split. Now that is barely.

14. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

They were negotiating for that somebody else from the start. Otherwise, why book a date without informing Pacman? :rolleyes:

It is smelling like this call out to Pacman is a publicity stunt for the May 5 fight, with somebody else.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Pac-Marquez was a majority decision not unanimous. That's not all better than a split decision, esp. that fight. You ask people who looked more dominant between Mayweather against DLH or Pacquiao against Marquez and it'll be a landslide.

16. Prince

Prince Member

you're right it was a majority decision.

you're comparing apples and oranges. who dominated DLH, Pacquiao or Floyd?

17. BreakYoSelfFool

It is hard to believe what Arum says a lot of times, but this sounds like some true BS. He says this like building a venue to seat 40,000 is the best option. Apparently, it is possible to erect large a venue in 5 months on the Las Vegas strip without incurring any extra cost. Also, each additional attendee would be bringing in an extra $1000 revenue. As big as this fight is, I dont think thats possible.

First securing location and building a venue this large would have to cost millions, while I believe that MGM actually would be paying the fighters for using the venue.

Then there is the revenue for each guest. I believe that the only fights with 40,000 capacity in recent history were the Pac fights in Dallas stadium. Tickets there ranged from $500 to $50. This place has a 60 yd HD display and at least half the tickets, probably 3/4 went for 100 or less. A quickly built, possibly outdoors :confused: venue the lowest priced seats definitely would be closer to $100 buck than to $1000 even for the biggest boxing event of all time (which this is not). If we factor in concessions and parking and others, I think it would be close to an extra 25% on top, but even if you are generous and say these extra viewers would each contribute $200-250 thats an extra 4-5 million, which probably would be less than the MGM would give you to host there.

Also, it is possible to build this imaginary money machine in under 5 months, but under 4 is impossible, even if it means risking this imaginary $40 mil

18. SunsRocketsfan

seriously Dei??? Surely you can't be serious... You are now comparing who looked more dominat against different boxers?? LOL..

Styles makes fights.. have you ever heard that phrase? Which is why I think Pacquiao will most likely lose to Floyd since Floyd is one of the best defensive counter boxers.

But if you really want to compare fights at least compare the same opponents. Let's look at the 4 big opponents they both fought.
    DeLaHoya, Hatton, Mosley, Marquez

DeLaHoya-
    Pacquiao CLEARLY looked way more dominant against DLH. DLH had to quit and his corner threw in the towel and said he is just wayyyy too FAST. Mayweather went the distance with DLH and won by SPLIT decision.
    PACQUIAO: 1 MAYWEATHER: 0

Hatton-
    Pacman knocked out Hatton 3 Times in 2 rounds and the final blow sent Hatton to the canvas and it looked like he almost killed him. Mayweather also looked pretty dominant against Hatton and TKO'd him in the 11 I believe. Tought one to call but if you want to score a winner I'd have to give it to Pacman slightly for his pure dominaint in just two short rounds.
    PACQUIAO: 2 MAYWEATHER: 0

Mosley-
    Mosley actualy hurt Mayweather in the 2nd round but Mayweather dominated the rest of the fight. Pacquiao's fight if you can call it a fight was really a glorified sparring session. Pacquaio did knock Mosley down but it looked like Mosley and Pacquiao wanted to hug and kiss instead of fight. Pacquaio still dominated but I'd say this one was a draw.
    PACQUIAO: 3 MAYWEATHER: 1

Marquez-
    Mayweather clear winner here. Looks like Pacquiao is going to struggle against defensive counter boxers which is why I think Pacquiao will most likely lose unless he catches Mayweather off guard and knocks him out. But if the fight goes the distance Mayweather will win.
    PACQUIAO: 3 MAYWEATHER: 2

comparing who looked more dominant against another fighter is dumb but if you are going to do so at least be objective and compare the same opponents.

19. SunsRocketsfan

yeah I was thinking the same thing.. Arum is full of crap

20. Dei

Dei Member

And you fail reading comprehension again.

Prince brought up that in their fights against Mosley, DLH, Marquez both fighters had one contested win and I was saying Pacquiao's contested win was more controversial.