1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayweather broke ribs, postpones comeback fight

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by coolweather, Jun 15, 2009.

1. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/6478378.html

This is really disappointing. I've been waiting to see him destroyed by Marquez.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Damn that sux... I was hoping for him to get back into the ring... I don't know if he can catch Manny because the guy is in a zone right now and unstoppable...

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I guess its either Mosley or Cotto for Manny, I hear Mayweather isn't going to happen till next year regardless

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They may reschedule the fight for Aust 8th. There's also a rumor going around today that he may just skip the Maquez fight and fight Manny if he agrees to 50/50. If Manny fights Cotto, then Floyd will definitely reschedule and fight Marquez

5. King1

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wonder who busted his rib?

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

mayweather would beat him but not destroy him. cant wait to see pacman destroy mayweather, thats a guy who know how to finish fights

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Ron Artest.

Seriously, Mayweather will beat Marquez when they meet and then he will beat Manny.

9. Precision340

Precision340 Member

mayweather is almost as looney as his dad if he thinks he deserves 50/50

10. Dei

Dei Member

If this was any other fighter, I'd say that they'd already have a built-in excuse if they lost. I'm confident Mayweather'll be keen on keeping his record unblemished whatever state he's in when he goes into the ring.

Marquez was robbed during his two fights with Manny.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Probably nobody, he may have a bruise and this is some bargaining tactic related to Pacquiao somehow.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Well nothing was robbed when you happened to fall on your ass twice in both of those meetings... Manny is pound for pound right now...

13. coolweather

You're a funny man!

14. coolweather

I don't think Mayweather can even hurt Marquez.

15. King1

Arum is actually the one who is supposedly offerering 50/50.

16. Dei

Dei Member

And Marquez still made the rulings for both fights controversial. Can you imagine the capacity at which Marquez out-boxed Pacquiao?

17. Prince

Prince Member

Pacman knocked down Marquez multiple times in both fights. Marquez cannot hurt Manny. The only reason why the first fight was a draw was because he was a new kid on the block at that time.

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

The reason the first fight was a draw was because Manny knocked down Marquez 3 times in the first round. And from round 2 til 12, it was all Juan giving Manny a boxing lesson.

If you combine scores from both fights Pac edges Juan by 1 point. Which means that knockdown in the 2nd fight is what has him edging out Juan.

Marquez can beat the guy if he protects himself better against that left hook. If there is no knockdown, Marquez can win.

Anyway, fight between JMM and Mayweather seems to be postponed until September 19th. I would rather it not happen, this is going to be a massacre. Juan has no chance against Mayweather, which is the main reason that ticket sales have been so bad. Only 3000 tickets sold so far and the fight was a little over a month away, thats pretty bad.

Nobody wants to see a one-sided fight, as much as I wanna see them both fight because they are my 2 favorite boxers. Its too big of a mismatch and I would rather seem Manny and Juan fight again to settle the dispute.

I wanna see Floyd fight a real welterweight, maybe have him rip up Cotto or Mosley.

19. what

what Member

This was my first reaction to the injury, looks like Floyd is dodging Marquez. Make no mistake Marquez isn't a slouch and there is a better than average shot that Marquez wins that fight. Many believe that Paq himself is dodging Marquez Paq got lucky that he was the "star" and he got the star treatment in both Marquez fights.

20. what

what Member

Wow, you think it would be a massacre? You obviously don't know sqaut about Marquez. The guy, every time he enters the ring, fights for his country. He massacred Juan Diaz. Anyway you look at it, Mayweather is dodging Marquez and for good reason.