1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayor to propose smoking ban [chron]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by serious black, Oct 7, 2004.

1. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2834819

Mayor to propose ban on restaurant smoking
    Bars would be exempt in a plan White hopes to roll out by year's end
    By RON NISSIMOV
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Houston restaurants may soon be smoke-free.

Mayor Bill White announced Wednesday that he is drafting an ordinance that would ban smoking in restaurants, but not in bars.

"I have been listening to people who want a ban everywhere and the people who don't want to lose their market," White said. "I'm trying to find the middle ground."

White said his proposal would be phased in over two years to try to minimize any negative impact on restaurants.

Under Houston's current ordinance, restaurants and other public buildings are allowed to have smoking areas if they are properly ventilated. Smoking is banned within 25 feet of entrances to public buildings.

White said that under his proposal, any restaurants with bars in their establishments would be allowed to maintain smoking areas in the bars, as long as there is "real separation" from the dining areas.

The mayor said he didn't have details of his proposal because his legal department is looking into the matter. He said he hopes to have a proposed ordinance prepared in time for City Council to vote on it before the end of the year.

Councilwoman pleased

Councilwoman Shelley Sekula-Gibbs, a physician who has been working with anti-smoking groups to push for a total ban on smoking in public buildings, said she appreciates White's proposal.

"I feel like it's a step in the right direction," Sekula-Gibbs said.

She pointed out that many cities that have barred smoking in public places started off with partial bans such as White's proposal.

"I think most Houstonians would support a full ban, but the mayor won't do it right now," Sekula-Gibbs said.

New York and Los Angeles have banned smoking in workplaces, restaurants and bars, and Chicago is considering similar restrictions.

White declined to say whether he might pursue a stricter ban while he is in office, saying he will approach the issue "step by step." He said it is "common sense" to allow smoking in bars because they serve alcohol.

Juli Salvagio, executive director of the Greater Houston Restaurant Association, said the organization supports White's proposal because it would not prevent smoking in bars or bar areas within restaurants. She said the organization expressed its concerns about a total ban to Sekula-Gibbs and a representative from the mayor's office during a Sept. 8 meeting convened by the councilwoman.

Wary of total ban
    "It sounds like we were heard," Salvagio said.

Salvagio said the association would support a total ban in restaurants only if it is enacted statewide. She said the total ban in Dallas has hurt restaurants there because customers are flocking to surrounding communities that do not have bans.

Lance Fegen, owner of Trevisio restaurant in the Texas Medical Center and Zula restaurant downtown, said he supports White's proposal.

"I think that as we've gotten a little bit older we've gotten a bit wiser," Fegen said. "The perception that a smoking section in a restaurant doesn't offend anybody is really ridiculous."

Fegen said many upscale restaurants in Houston such as his already ban smoking from dining areas because "a majority of the people don't want smoking to be part of the experience, especially with expensive foods and wines."

Zula allows smoking in a bar area, he said.

Sekula-Gibbs said many mayors from towns near Houston have told her they might follow if the city enacts a ban.

Meetings seen as effective
    She added that until Wednesday's proposal, she had not gotten much support from White in her efforts. Sekula-Gibbs said she believes White may have proposed the ordinance because she has pushed the issue by having two meetings in the last month with various constituency groups and community leaders.
    White said he has always stated that he would like to find ways to reduce exposure to second-hand smoke in public places.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Hi Thread, meet D&D.

edit: For some reason I thought I was in the Hangout. Doh!

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

As long as "well ventilated" = a 40 " wall and a house plant in between 2 booths one smoking one non, I am all for this plan. The set up we have now is a joke.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I am glad he is leaving the bars alone. They are bars for a reason.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

that's what i used to think :mad:

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Agreed. Banning smoking in restaurants is a defensible position IMO, but one of the main reson some of my friends go to bars in the first place is so they can drink and smoke. Personally, I think restaurants should be allowed a smoking area with a separate room and ventilation system which would have the net effect of banning smoking in most restaurants, but then the proprieters could install the necessary walls and equipment if they saw that they would profit from having an area where people could smoke.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Seriously!

The restaurants are just the first step. Bars will be next! Bank on it! It's how they did it in NY.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

yup...

and everywhere else.

First it was the workplace
    then airlplanes
    then restaurants

and then it will be bars.

not that there's anything wrong with that
    :cool:

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's actually a pleasant experience going out in Manhattan or San Francisco. You come home with your clothes still smelling fine, instead of all smokey. It's worse for girls since they have to wash their hair after getting home.

10. MR. MEOWGI

We go to different kinds of bars. I go to ones where people don't care that much about smell. That's the good thing about freedom.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Yes. To picks up skanks.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

13. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

"No smoking in bars, and soon no drinking or talking."
    -Eddie Izzard

14. droxford

droxford Member

I'm all for a ban on indoor smoking at any public establishment (including bars).

I like bars. Like darts. Love Golden Tee. Love shooting pool. Hate smoke.

-- droxford

15. MR. MEOWGI

Then go to a rumpus room, not a bar.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

As a smoker who wants to quit I hope they do ban smoking in bars. The only time I have trouble quiting is when I have a drink and by making it illegal it will make it much easier on me.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm all about freedom..........until someone's "freedom" annoys or hurts me.

I've heard all the arguments before--second hand smoke doesn't hurt anyone--let the bar owners decide, and if they allow smoking, then I should "choose" not to go to their establishment. Some of the smoker's arguments are ridiculous; some are almost plausible. I really don't care. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and I can't wait until those things are banned everywhere. Non smokers will prevail--it's only a matter of time.

And I'm gonna laugh, laugh, LAUGH when society finally and completely treats smokers with the derision they deserve. You think you’re derided now? We haven’t even yet begun…..

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Oh yeah......and this from a former smoker.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They should let the owner of the bars decide.

Post a sign to allow or to not allow smoking.

No reason to legislate it.

DD

20. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Someone has to protect the workers.