1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe Tmac's contract is more valuable than we thought

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jul 20, 2009.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Here's an excerpt from ESPN's summer league wrap. I didn't realize that the financial situation was THIS dire across the league. I always thought that the owners and league in general was pretty resilient. But reading the below, it seems like having Tracy's contract around could be quite the lottery ticket.

ESPN story

"The Global Economic Crisis
    There's an area behind the near basket at Cox Pavilion where European coaches, general managers, and scouts sit and talk shop during the games. The NBA presents Summer League as a showcase of their future stars, but the real business in Las Vegas is being conducted by these guys, along with the agents and bridge-builders who are trying to get jobs overseas for the less recognizable names on Summer League rosters. Although there wasn't a visible black cloud hanging over this corner of the gym, the anxiety was palpable. They had a lot to be stressed about. Basketball clubs the world over are suffering, but none more than those in Europe. After years of escalating salaries and profits, the market has collapsed. "I've told all my European guys to expect, on average, salaries to go down between 30 and 40 percent," one European agent said. "It's definitely a buyer's market." This dynamic puts pressure on everyone -- the players who are facing a pay cut (even if they're coming off banner seasons), the agents who are terrified to communicate this to their clients out of fear of getting fired, and the teams who still haven't filled out their rosters because they're short on cash. The result is an impasse with neither players nor clubs budging, and a few teams on the verge of economic collapse.

Salary Cap Troubles & the NBA Financial Situation
    The international game is in meltdown mode, while the NBA game is suffering from its own set of monetary issues. In Sections 104 and 115, where most of the NBA execs and team personnel sit, the dominant conversation of the week was about the financial pinch NBA franchises are feeling. In his press conference here in Vegas, NBA Commissioner David Stern said that fewer than half of NBA franchises made money last season. Ticket sales, sponsorships, and television contracts are all down. With the salary cap and luxury tax level dropping -- and scheduled to do so for the foreseeable future -- teams are having to calibrate their spreadsheets. This affects everyone: owners, general managers who are under pressure to build legitimate NBA rosters, free agents sitting on the sidelines, their agents, and also the journeymen and undrafted rookies trying to earn a spot on an NBA roster. To save money, a team that would normally carry 15 guys might trim that number down to 13 -- meaning fewer jobs. And players who would've inked rich, multi-year deals are finding that, with some exceptions, they have fewer suitors, with thinner wallets."

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

More valuable than you thought.

We already new. Catch up. ;)

3. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

tmac threads are on the rise today.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

i always wondered how the overseas basketball leagues were doing financially. im in favor of keeping mcgrady and letting his contract expire, but if there are teams in desperation then maybe the rockets will work out a great trade by february. i see it as a win-win situation. we keep mcgrady and see what he can do, and let his contract expire (therefore letting go of a huge salary). or we can trade him to a team thats desperate, and hopefully get some quality players out of it.

in summary, all these tmac haters need to shut up and be patient. he could be the ticket to some great players via trade, or a nice free agent next season.

5. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Something weird about this thread, everytime I open this specific thread, I get popups - oncars.com and some "your computer has been infected with virus" anyone else?

6. Ricksmith

actually this is the only thread where the regular ads arent here. weird indeed.

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

it's so valuable that we want to keep it for ourself
    yao will be out for next season
    sponsorship from china will dropped

8. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

it's because i linked and referenced everything correctly. my thread has good karma as a result :D

and to FLASH - I knew Tracy's expiring contract had value. But this could be a perfect storm for the rockets. A HUGE expiring contract at a time when a LOT of teams are struggling to the point of collapse. That means that the economic implications of remaining solvent would override the "basketball sense" involved in making trades.

In other words, the market is ripe for a move that makes absolutely no basketball sense, like trading tracy's expiring for CP3 or something along those lines, yknow? Like Pau Gasol v2.0, or potentially better.

Get pREDdatory!

9. declan32001

declan32001 Member

It just happened to me. I don't know if it's a coincedence or not, but I haven't downloaded anything in months. Doing a full system scan.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

How is it valuable if there is no one out there we want. You won't find any Memphis' with Pau Gasol type players to dump. No one is offering players named Lebron Wade or Bosh. The only player that I had a slight interest in and might be available is Amare and he appears to be off the Market. Teams want to get rid of their overpriced crap and for Tmac. So we are getting offers of Curry and J Richardson or Baron Davis etc. Take our bad contrcts and we'll take Tmac off your hands. No thanks.

The best player for Tmac might be Tmac. If he comes back healthy and shows sign of returning to old form and plays with the right attitude he might be wrth signing at the right price. we might be able to get him at a half price special. With his on and off injuries and shaky attitude and no win history he will never get 20 mil again. But a 90% Tmac is probably better than anyone else we can get for him. So don't expect any trades for Tmac. His expiring is better for us than the crap other teams waant to dump to get it.

11. Ricksmith

ok, now its starting to have pop ups. it just did it twice, and i clicked my username by accident and it sent me to tehG l i d e's profile...

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Fu** everybody huh. :rolleyes:

What crawled up your ass and died this morning, Jeez!

HowsMyDriving- I knew what ya meant I was just messin wit ya. I totally agree, Morey has played it very smart and cool in not going after the first enticing offer that comes our way.

Many fans here do not understand the meaning of patience, it is in fact a virtue for many. We will get the most when it comes. ;)

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Does that mean Tmac is on the rise?

14. worzel gummidge

If it was valuable he'd have been traded on draft night to either Memphis or Minnesota for the rights to Rubio which the Rockets tried and failed to do.

15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

francis played with heart. even if francis was a ball hog that nik-kah was always trying to make something happen.

tmac has always needed an engine jump start.

16. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

value isn't limited to only trade value..

17. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Same exact thing here, Virus's around here? Anyone know of a good "free" firewall and antivirus? :confused:

18. joesr

joesr Member

/concur, but to a certain extent, that being like smoothie_king said, hows valuable is it if we get trash back?

19. dram1

dram1 Member

I was just hit with a dialogue box that stated my computer has been infected w/a virus and a scan would begin.

I task mangered and killed the internet explorer.

Ran a hijackthis scan and had the log file analyzed. Came up clean. So hopefully nothing sticks.

These things are getting in to the good sites too! Its not just p*rn anymore.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's valuable no matter what way you look at it. Whether we keep him or trade him.

If we net a star or up and coming starter this year it would be an option and if we keep him and take the cap space it'll help us with the 09-10 FA class. Either way it works for us.