1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe the league is on to us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Whoopy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Seems that the last few games we have a harder time scoring. Do you think teams are starting to defend us differently? I see Harden constantly harassed and many times doubled. Fast break points seem harder as teams seem to be getting back more knowing we are going to run on any opportunity. They also seem to be packing the paint more and limiting our driving opportunities. Thoughts?

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

no,

we are not executing and as a result we have gone to a lot of 1 on 1 with Harden.

I am hopeful this home stand with a ton of practice time will get us back on track

3. andersongo

andersongo Member

The players are gassed. Also, as we approach the business of the season, defensive intensity tends to pick up and transition defense improves; teams typically want to peak near the end of the regular season/during play-offs. Teams already knew that the Rockets would want to run at every opportunity, it's just that they were pacing themselves on purpose so that they don't burn themselves out.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

1) We gave up our starting and backup pf.
    2) Before the last game, Harden was in a slump
    3) We have slowed down the pace
    4) Lin and Harden's minutes are not staggered anymore, so Lin has been less effective.
    5) Our 2nd unit is kinda garbage, IMO.
    6) We have had more turnovers and miscommunications while bringing in the new guys.
    7) More rookies in the rotation, means more mistakes.

5. andersongo

andersongo Member

I think it's more likely that we can no longer keep up the pace.

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Teams have focused more on transition D, for sure.

But mostly we have played pretty poorly.

7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think the offensive problems you are referring to mainly boil down to Harden being a little injured the last several games. Ever since he banged that knee (which I think may have been originally hurt before the Clippers game he missed), he has lost a lot on his first step and his ability to score at the basket. He is still drawing fouls, but he is not finishing well at all.

You take the havoc that Harden causes for the opposing defense away, and this is a very mediocre team.

I think he was starting to play better in PHX, so hopefully by tonight he will be at full strength, and the offensive machine will be back into gear.

1 person likes this.
  8. larry cook

larry cook Member

Terrible D, Rotations, and Ball movement is usually the reason...

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

Same difference? Also to consider, we have been pushing the tempo, but we are missing many easy layups. For example, Chandler Parsons missed six easy layups against Phoenix on Sunday, and that is the difference in the game. One could hold Harden and Lin accountable as well for earlier games. I think we can keep up the pace, just have to finish much better.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Teams have known this from day 1.

There is no mystery to what we are doing and how to try and stop it. If you pack the paint you limit penetration but will leave the Rockets open for 3's and the Rockets only need to shoot about 30% as a team on 3's to be very effective if we are left completely open. If teams play the 3 point line, or man-to-man defense the Rockets will have penetration from Harden, Lin and Parsons.

The Rockets do not take a lot of middle distant shots, and shouldn't, they are a poor value. What makes it hard for other teams is that you do not know what a Rockets particular play will be, because it is fluid and the Rockets as an organization give the players on the floor great liberty to trust their instincts.

So, there is no way to "figure out" the Rockets offense. You can pick your poison and if the Rockets fail to score well, it is because their shots are not falling.

Harden has been banged up, and Lin has battled illness. The Rockets are working in an entirely new PF rotation, which effects the offense and defense.

I am surprised by how many people do not understand the Rockets offense and philosophy. The Rockets practice a number of set plays, but they decide what to run based on the defense and the personel on the floor.

1 person likes this.
  11. jbasket

jbasket Member

That is a great point, and it looked like he finally snapped out of it in the 2nd quarter of the Suns game. I am glad you mentioned it because it slipped past my mind. Hard for any team to score if their best player is hurt.

12. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Pretty much agree with jbasket.

I'm curious how the Rockets will adjust in the playoffs, when the game slows down, everyone gets hacked, FG% drop, and teams get 3+ games to study what the Rocket's are doing right and neutralize it.

13. rocketfaithful

watch us score a 130 tonight!

14. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I do think teams have known for awhile how we want to play but it seemed that most didn't believe we could be successful with it so they let us do it without adjusting. But it seems as we were able to demonstrate playing our style can be successful they seem to be defending us a little differently lately.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

Well... thanks :grin:

When the game slows down, Asik's value will be fully realized. IIRC, Morey said we were #1 in half court defence with him on the floor at the MIT conference. Perfect for the playoffs, and I am sure many casual NBA fans don't know about that as well.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know of any advanced statistics that show the Rockets are especially worse in a half court set when defensive improvement is considered. That is to say that the Rockets will score less, but they should also give up less points.

I don't think there is anything that teams can do to try and neutralize the Rockets and more than any other team. The Rockets offense is not a gimmick.

Also, would point out that teams such as OKC, SA and Miami all can play in either style of game, and that is what the Rockets are aiming to do.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

As much as I hate to say it, "I'll take the under"...

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Since the All Star break, we have only scored under 103 points one time in nine games, while having traded a 1/3 of our rotation.

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

err no this is a 500 team, maybe slightly better, you're exactly where you're supposed to be. Just cause you dont go on 3-4 game win streaks every week doesnt mean it's time to panic.

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

rockets cant spread teh floor anymore without getting killed on offensive/defensive glass. Dmo is bricking shots and the rookie is garbage on offense. Teams are sagging off Dmo and giving help D in the paint on lin/harden making it hard to score. The best midrange shooter the team had was traded so that facet of the game has downgraded the offense.