1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe it's not always about championship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Dec 19, 2020.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What kind of sports fan get giddy over their team just existing as a franchise, it actually losing or another franchise btch?

Like u think fans of team that haven't made playoffs in year are happy that they have teamwork and good character players?

Awww yea I just love watching my team get stomped on but, hey we have teamwork and we fought hard.

Some weird masochistic fans out there i swear.

I would recommend u b a texans fan. I root for all Houston team, but I swear some people r fans bc of the reason I described above.

Winning isn't everything, but no way in hell would i enjoy getting stomp over winning it all.

#21 DatRocketFan, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. WiltTheStilt13

Agreed my friend!

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Most of us played or now watch/cheer to win. There is only one champ every year, so there will always be 29 teams that are disappointed. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy watching the team play, but the goal, the priority is to build a team that can win the championship.

The frustration you see on this board is that many of us have been champions in one form or another. Once you get the taste of victory, nothing else can compare. We lust and strive for an opportunity to get there again. The Rockets came SOOOOOOOOOOO close with CP3 and JH just a few years back. We've been through the acquire a new star many times to try to climb the ladder again. It worked once with Clyde, but not since then.

Frankly, I didn't want JH to go because I think this current team has a chance to really surprise some people. Mainly because it looks like a TEAM, not 2-3 superstars. However, I think I'm ready to move on from James (if that's what happens) to see if Silas can recreate what I love about this game--ball movement and true team play (on both ends of the court). I'm tired of guys standing around watching an ISO, it's ugly basketball. This game, when played right is like sports poetry or a symphony of shots/slams.

If you're not obsessed with winning, but just enjoy the game that's cool. Just understand that a lot of us love both.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah I was there, People don't realize how unlikely it was for Harden to turn out the way he did. It was a miracle that somehow The Rockets ended up with him when no one wanted to even come close to Houston. Houston could easily draft #1 for 10 years and not land a player like Harden. I know Harden is on his way out but lightning does not strike the same location twice. And its not like Harden came got famous and left, The man has been here since 2012-2013 grinding while the Durants and Lebrons have switched teams chasing rings...

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

ok, but that was the only time we even made it to the 2nd round

between 1999 and Harden arriving in 2012, we missed the playoffs 8 times, had 4 1st round exits, and 1 2nd round appearance

with Harden it’s 50+ wins most seasons, playoffs every year, 5 2nd round appearances in 8 seasons, 2 WCF appearances, and taking a team far better than that Lakers squad to 7 games

HP3, D-rock, Salvy and 2 others like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone points out Harden choking: “Ur such a hater! Ringzzzz culture has ruined the NBA!”
    Maybe it’s not always about a championship: “Ur such a loser! Loser mentality! U play to win the game, a championship!”

:D

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I just love how folks call Harden a choker and don’t mention that the rest of the Western Conference got their asses demolished by the Warriors for 5 years. The Warriors flat dominated the mighty West for the better part of a decade. Maybe the whole Conference choked.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah, any 7 game series is a dogfight.

The Warriors series in 18 was that as well, not just another series.

It was a close loss against the later champions in both cases.

With Harden it isn't where his journey ended, you would know that he'd flame out when he got tired, you literally know it's over.

He Isoes and his shots were short.

With the Artest and Yao team you knew Kobe would get the calls and they would play consistently.

They'd flame out collectively.

Different emotions.

#28 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2020
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

James Harden is a chocker label especially the warriors defeat w/o cp3 is unfair. But its all bragging rights on which team got a ring.

I figured as most sports fans u don't go walking up to one and other any say dammmmmm my team ball movement is so sexy. Its more like bahahahaha I shat on your team so hard enjoy watching my team get a chance to win it all while u watch yours sit at home.

CCity Zero and D-rock like this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Everyone gets a participation trophy at school, no one values it as their most important achievement because they worked hard that year.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I’ve been a Rockets fan since 1994. If you think Harden is a choker you will really not like watching Tracy and Yao in the playoffs. Just imagine being a Jazz fan since 2010: that’ll give you a good sense of things. Portland too. Being a sports fan in that city means that being unceremoniously swept in the WCF in 2019 is the highlight of your LIFE.

hakeem94, Richie_Rich, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Is this what it's like on a Knicks board? It's not always about a championship... - yeah the other teams can't win at the same time, but I prefer my team winning and am not looking forward to not having a player like Harden on the roster.

I know a lot of people are taking things personally but when you've experienced what it's like to win - that's it. Don't get me wrong I am a houston fan and will watch regardless but having a chance vs unrealistic chances of winning makes it more exciting (yeah, the 2009 rockets had a chance but injuries derailed everything). Obviously a rebuilding team that's up and coming can be exciting over time once they make it but at the same time there are franchises that never get there - think about all the rebuilds some teams go through and can't even make the playoffs or to even have a window as long as the Rockets have had.

That's where I don't think newer fans understand - just how long this can take to even get to this level we've been at, and that's why I haven't changed on how much houston should get back for a player like Harden. I really don't think the Rockets should settle because where ever harden goes - that team is suddenly in the conversation.

Deckard, HP3, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The 2009 team was not nearly as consistent as you seem to remember. Artest was terrible in the first round, until the deciding game. Yao was good, but went down after game 1 of the second round. The Rockets played valiantly for most of the Lakers series, but then got blown out in game 7. It’s not like they all played well all the time. So if Harden has a bad playoff game, he’s “flaming out”, but if Yao or Artest (or CP3 for that matter) play badly or disappear in certain playoff games, that’s ok?

HP3 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden is Kobe Efficient in this but Kobe Inefficient got the rings with Gasol (excl. Shaq era).

It might be his asthma or physique.

Kobe seemed lighter.

I said he can't pace himself.

I rarely used the word choker or chucker for KB, that's not my posting style.

You must be taking me for someone else.

#34 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2020
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

as a Rox fan that attends a ton of games, i never go to win a championship that night. i go to watch my team and have fun and that doesn't always include a W. those are icing on the cake!

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

for some, it is better to be the uninvited nerd stuck at home reading comics on a Friday night than the guy who gets invited to the biggest party of the year but ends up getting rejected by the hottest girl there

Rockets pre-Harden were the uninvited nerd

for some reason, it’s better to have no expectations or dreams than to have expectations or dreams of doing something big, and fall a bit short

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If winning is not important
    See you at the WNBA games?
    Cause you should love it as much as the NBA right?

Rocket River

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Fun fact is that we use to own Golden State before their title era. The Rockets would hardly ever lose to them.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I get what OP (might) be saying. When you have James Harden the burden of winning a chip and expectations is heavy on the shoulders. that 08-09 team was so fun because there were no expectations with Tracy, and later in the playoffs Yao and Mutombo out with injury; everything was a surprise.

If Harden is traded, maybe we can get back to having fun with no expectations instead of having fun with title hopes. (I would rather have fun with title hopes btw)

This team could be a contender with Harden, but It could be good surprise team without him.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Absolutely. Reeko nailed it. I was a die hard fan before we won the two championships. It was great. The teams afterward which included the number one pick, so very few wins was not as good. The last 8 years since Harden have definitely been better than the years before them except for a couple of the Yao years.