1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe Dubya Can Finish the Job His Dad Couldn't...We Bomb Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman95, Feb 16, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Who says you can't go home again?

Actually, this is a calculated effort by President Bush to divert attention away from the fact that his beloved tax cut proposal is losing momentum! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Stupid Dubyah. Doesn't he understand? He's supposed to hold the airstrikes until after whatever scandal he's trying to divert attention from hits the news.

This means we'll probably find out tomorrow that he scarfed down a fifth of Cuervo, puked on Vincente Fox, and then scored with Fox's teenage daughter.

PS: Bush Sr. as CIC of the American forces, did exactly what the UN resolution allowed for-- we freed Kuwait.

The Allied forces were a very loose coalition that included a number of Arab states which were somewhat sympathetic to Iraq. As with possible Israeli retaliation for Scud strikes, an American attempt to remove Hussein from power could very well have shattered the coalition before its goals were met.

Besides, there's something to be said for "the devil you know"... [​IMG]

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My thoughts exactly Kagy. I've been wondering ever since this story broke what exactly Bush had done! (I may be wrong, but isn't Fox's daughter hot? A far cry from Paula Jones and Monica Lewinski)

I understand the job that Bush was supposed to do, and that he fulfilled the requirements. I'm just of the opinion that we should've done something to get rid of Hussein before or after the "war".

------------------
    "Knickerbocker Please!"
    Not sure if you want to see Hannibal? visit www.swirve.com, and we'll tell you how to feel!!

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is hilarious! maybe this is the dawn of a new political era -- preemptive media strikes as opposed to reactionary ones!

------------------
    I am better than you.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ahhh beat me to it ... very amusing!

I thought this was the democrats strategic method ... but then again, i was a mere boy during the Bush administration.

------------------
    its all good and fun till someone gets hurt ... then its absolutely hilarious!

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

My fear would be that Iran would've taken advantage of a Hussein-less Iraq and perhaps done a bit of their own land-grabbing (or land snatching as the Great Hedley Lamarr might say) and thrown the region into even more turmoil than it is with Hussein in power.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

Maybe we should just let them shoot down American soldiers. [​IMG]

------------------
    Don't come in Bullard's house!

10. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

RM95, I'm surprised to hear you say that-- because I sort of agree.

I really thought at the point we'd routed Iraq (when I was 17), we could have sent a pretty powerful message to them and their sympathizer in the Middle East by rolling right the hell into Baghdad and arresting/deposing Hussein for war crimes.

I think now, though, I can understand some of the complex reasons why we didn't. It's a shame, but it also begs the question:

Which is preferable? An insane secular leader of a rogue state (Hussein)? Or an insane religious leader of a rogue state (Khomeini, may he rest in hell). Cause for all we know, if we'd have removed Hussein from power, his successor would have been replaced some years later by a religious leader.

------------------
    I take her to the aquarium, she says shark,

I take her to the planetarium, she says dark.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that's how everyone thinks. It seems like a great idea to get rid of someone like Hussein, but most don't think about who might take over (I know I didn't). Plus, you also get into questions of stooping to the level of the people we are trying to oust. Should we resort to sending in CIA operatives to assasinate someone we don't like? Should we support other non-affiliated groups' efforts?

These aren't questions with easy answers, but that's how life is. That's why I love The West Wing. Say what you want about its politics, but what makes me love the show is that it shows us that almost all the time, the answer to our problems isn't clear at all.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

12. Summer Song Giver

Mad props to the first one to post a link with a pic of Fox's daughter [​IMG]

------------------

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that it is against US policy to remove someone from office after having helped him get powerful in the first place.

------------------
    I am better than you.

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

15. Summer Song Giver

Way to be Mango, definitly better than Monica or Paula but she's just ok in my book.

------------------