1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"May I see your I.D. Please?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mae, Jul 7, 2010.

Tags:
?

Is asking to see your I.D. a hassle?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. No

119 vote(s)
    74.4%
  1. Mae

Mae Member

So I was grocery shopping last night at Kroger and was piling all my items onto the belt while the cashier was ringing up the lady in front of me. She bought maybe six items and the last of that was a case of beer. Now, the lady, is much older than 21 but the cashier asks to see her I.D.. Looking wild the lady madly fishes out her I.D. and hands it to her. The cashier apparently keys in her birth date. Now the lady is bagged and ready to go but stops, turns around and begins speaking to the cashier. She demands to know what the girl entered and why no one has asked her before. Stunned, the cashier tries to explain that it's policy to see the I.D. and that all she enters in is the birth date. The lady continues ranting about people being able to access her account now and that people would know that she bought alcohol. At this point I am turned away from her, laughing. Seriously? If you don't want people to know that you buy alcohol, then you shouldn't buy it. But she continues saying, "What if I had forgotten my I.D. would I have had to walk all the way back to my car?" Eventually she leaves in a huff with a cashier, a manager, and a bag boy whispering about her as she walks away. To break the awkward air as the cashier starts ringing up my stuff I say, "Man...that lady is crazy."

Is asking for your I.D. card too much? I personally appreciate them asking to see my I.D. for alcohol, cigs, and most definitely for use of my credit/debit cards. If I forget my I.D. I deal with it by running out to the car or just leaving behind the item. What about you guys?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Were you in MEXICO? :eek: See, asking for your ID is what makes it safer.

In all seriousness, NO, it isn't a hassle. And, who cares what other clerks do or don't do? This one was following policy. :eek: "Why, yes, pimple-faced kid from the Simpsons... here's my ID."

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In one sense, if you're sixty, you shouldn't have to be carded.

But I'm all for businesses obeying the law. many groceries have signs saying that they will card you if you're under thirty. Seeing that, some underagers will more than likely try not to buy from there. That's the way to go, in my opinion.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I always hand them a fake. I don't want them to know my real name. Its super secret.

5. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

This lady is an idiot. Asking for ID when purchasing alcohol has always been a standard procedure. She should have had her ID out and ready if she knew she was buying beer.

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I expect them to card me. No problem with it.....it's their Job...

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

There are just some people in this world we will never get. Tripping out over the stupidest things. I work in the customer service business so I see this all the time.

Although there was this one time at HEB I was with my friends and one of them was buying a case of beer and the cashier asked ALL of us for our ID's. I thought that was kind of weird.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I ain't steppin out of **** all my paper's legit.

3 people like this.
  9. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Exactly... I always have ID in hand, just in case the cashier asks to see it

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

immigrant???:confused:

:p

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't mind. I still have a Texas license, but live in Arkansas, so liquor stores will sometimes take out a magnifying glass and look hard to see if my ID is a fake. That gets a bit annoying every once and a while, but that's mainly because of the extra time it takes.

I agree with the guy above, people get annoyed at the most inane **** in this world. Just relax.

12. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

What the dumb lady probably doesn't realize is it is store policy and the cashier could get fired if the person is a "secret shopper" and not asked to be carded. :rolleyes:

Blame the store policy not the damn cashier.

13. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Mae can you confirm this?

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what kind of beer?

I'm guessing she was white trash, buying some milwaukee's best along with a cart full junk food

15. Mae

Mae Member

The lady was definitely over thirty. I'd put her early fifties but she was very adamant about people being able to see her information and knowing she bought alcohol.

And I'm sure you do, Juicy. I'm sure you do.

16. Mae

Mae Member

That he hands them a fake or that his name is super secret?

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I LOVE it when I get asked for my ID. I always tell the cashier that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day. Then I walk away and whisper to myself "that's right.....still got it....."

This lady sounds like one of those whack-jobs that thinks showing your ID to a cashier at Target constitutes a POLICE STATE!!!!!!!1111.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

People who have no understanding of how technology works, and that "darned internet" always crack me up. What information is she referring to exactly? And how will someone be able to access ANYTHING by the sheer fact that they know she bought alcohol, if there was even a way to DO that? Paranoid people are the best.

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

that he has a super secret name :eek: